Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   Off-Topic (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f6/)
-   -   Verizon hates me. (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f6/verizon-hates-me-138818.html)

brightsidememe 02-10-2012 02:43 PM

Verizon hates me.

So apparently I'm one of those data hogs and now Verizon is slowing down my data really bad.

Dorambo 02-10-2012 03:22 PM

They shouldn't slow it down just on data usage alone. You have unlimited. I am grandfathered in myself first 4G and on average I get up to 16+ gigabytes a month.

Check your phone's clock speed; it could be slowed by an internal problem with the radio.

If you have bought idea of what that means just go to the market and there's an app to check system specs such as your data upload/download speeds.

brightsidememe 02-10-2012 03:28 PM

Besides the throttling the only thing that makes sense is the radios. I know they are working on an update for my phone.

As far as I know all carriers throttle your data now over 5gb. Its stupid.

16gb? Damn you win.

Dorambo 02-10-2012 03:32 PM

What phone?

brightsidememe 02-10-2012 04:08 PM

Galaxy nexus. Running 4.0.2 but there's a beta 4.0.4 right now.

Optical TDI 02-10-2012 04:12 PM

Bummer.

Dorambo 02-10-2012 08:08 PM

There's your sign.

Droid RAZR. Gingerbread. Soon ice cream sandwich is coming out as an update.

brightsidememe 02-11-2012 01:44 AM

No way man. Galaxy nexus is the best phone Verizon has. I don't understand why they do so much publicity for that phone when the nexus has better specs

Susiee 02-11-2012 01:46 AM

switch to AT&T

Dorambo 02-11-2012 07:04 AM

I had a nexus.

I literally drug it on the freeway (Houston) BC it kept acting like it was decoding messages from outer space.

Never saw it again. I was that mad at it. The Razr is absolutely amazing.

PecosRiver 02-11-2012 09:15 AM

I hate Verizon. I agree with Susiee.

commodore_dude 02-11-2012 09:21 AM

Sprint is the only carrier that won't throttle your data at a certain point. And well... then you have Sprint. Try being somewhere where you can use wifi?

InvertChaos 02-11-2012 09:28 AM

1 Attachment(s)
That is impressive! Yeah I recommend wifi if you have high speed internet or possibly switching to a carrier that doesn't throttle you. I consider myself a power user and can only manage ~6gb/mo total!

fan of fanboys 02-11-2012 09:49 AM

AT&T caps at 3gb so it'd be stupid to switch.

Verizon doesn't throttle in traditional sense. They call it Network Optimization.

Basically anyone who is in top 5% of data users, so not at a certain gigabyte limit, will have their data speeds slowed while on a congested tower. So if on a tower that's not backed up then speeds not slowed. It resets every month, so if not in top 5% one cycle not subject to that.

T-Mobile throttles regardless of tower. At&t throttles over 5Gb for those users grandfathered in unlimited plans. Sprint currently doesn't throttle but overall they are considered the worst company. The reason they offer some of what they do when no one else does is to retain market share. They are bleeding money, somewhere to the tune of losing 1.7 billion last quarter. Their CEO has said multiple times won't be able to offer that for much longer.

In terms of what VZW phone is best out of Android it comes down to two: Nexus or Razr Maxx. The nexus has ICS and bc Nexus line will always be "pure" android. The Razr Maxx has dramatically better build quality and will have ICS soon. But it will have the Motoblur GUI which is matter of opinion if worth anything. I prefer pure android when possible and hate all of the GUIs out (such as Sense, Touchwiz, etc) but obviously enough people like they keep selling it.

Another thing, more long term, is Google is trying to buy Motorola. If they do you will eventually have best combo of hardware and software.

InvertChaos 02-11-2012 09:52 AM

^ my father actually works for sprint, and their 4Q profits were apparently huge as people were jumping ship from Verizon and att since sprint just got the iPhone and are the only existing company with truly unlimited data.

fan of fanboys 02-11-2012 09:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by InvertChaos
^ my father actually works for sprint, and their 4Q profits were apparently huge as people were jumping ship from Verizon and att since sprint just got the iPhone and are the only existing company with truly unlimited data.

Highly inaccurate.

Sprint lost 1.3 billion (I just looked up)
They added 161,000 new customers (first time since 4th quarter last year they gained customers. Prior 3 they lost)

For comparison Verizon's profits were $4.65 billion. Verizon added 872,000 new customers in 4th.

InvertChaos 02-11-2012 10:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fan of fanboys

Highly inaccurate.

Sprint lost 1.3 billion (I just looked up)
They added 161,000 new customers (first time since 4th quarter last year they gained customers. Prior 3 they lost)

For comparison Verizon's profits were $4.65 billion. Verizon added 872,000 new customers in 4th.

I don't have any source or numbers for ya, just repeating what I have heard :wavey:

fan of fanboys 02-11-2012 10:01 AM

http://www.zdnet.com/blog/btl/verizo...rs-surge/43975

http://www.forbes.com/sites/greatspe...t-margins-dip/

fan of fanboys 02-11-2012 10:02 AM

Quote:

I don't have any source or numbers for ya, just repeating what I have heard :wavey:

Ha no prob!

InvertChaos 02-11-2012 10:07 AM

Quote:

Ha no prob!

Yep just found the link that you just posted

http://www.forbes.com/sites/greatspe...ut-margins-dip

It says that 1.8 million iPhones were sold, 40% of which were to new customers. 40% of 1.8 million is not 161,000 so the numbers aren't exactly adding up though. By my math that should be 720000.

fan of fanboys 02-11-2012 10:08 AM

One great thing about Verizon, and to my knowledge all 4 big cell companies, they do not outsource. 100% of the time when you call support will get someone in the states. They treat their employees well ranging from bonuses, money for college, and vast majority of supervisors and associate directors are hired from within. Not perfect, but a quality American company.

To the people using 10-16gbs a month: has that's awesome. I stream a ton of pandora and rarely exceed 6-7gb

fan of fanboys 02-11-2012 10:10 AM

Quote:

Yep just found the link that you just posted

http://www.forbes.com/sites/greatspe...ut-margins-dip

It says that 1.8 million iPhones were sold, 40% of which were to new customers. 40% of 1.8 million is not 161,000 so the numbers aren't exactly adding up though. By my math that should be 720000.

Net adds, not gross adds.

161K is after losing. 720K before.

At least that's my understanding.

InvertChaos 02-11-2012 10:12 AM

Quote:

Net adds, not gross adds.

161K is after losing. 720K before.

At least that's my understanding.

I guess that makes more sense. After thinking about it for a bit, it may have been their Prepaid division, Boost mobile, that continues to grow. I don't know, I'm running off of 3 he's of sleep here lol.

fan of fanboys 02-11-2012 10:15 AM

Quote:

I guess that makes more sense. After thinking about it for a bit, it may have been their Prepaid division, Boost mobile, that continues to grow. I don't know, I'm running off of 3 he's of sleep here lol.

That is true. Boost is one of the most profitable prepaid services. Very popular.
Generally prepaid less profitable compared to postpaid but any profit is good profit.

commodore_dude 02-11-2012 12:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fan of fanboys (Post 2017640)
One great thing about Verizon, and to my knowledge all 4 big cell companies, they do not outsource. 100% of the time when you call support will get someone in the states. They treat their employees well ranging from bonuses, money for college, and vast majority of supervisors and associate directors are hired from within. Not perfect, but a quality American company.

To the people using 10-16gbs a month: has that's awesome. I stream a ton of pandora and rarely exceed 6-7gb

Yup, Verizon is the best for customer service AND cell service. Just helps if you were grandfathered in with unlimited data :D

Dorambo 02-11-2012 01:22 PM

Well played Sir Fanboy

JackdUp 02-11-2012 01:26 PM

Although Verizon seems to have the best coverage, I don't think they have the best rates. If Sprint would ever up their coverage, they'd be perfect. Plus, Sprint has an unlimited data plan.

fan of fanboys 02-11-2012 03:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JackdUp
Although Verizon seems to have the best coverage, I don't think they have the best rates. If Sprint would ever up their coverage, they'd be perfect. Plus, Sprint has an unlimited data plan.

They don't have best rates. The cellular companies are more or less in tiers. AT&T and Verizon are at the top. Give you an idea: Sprint and T-Mobile together are smaller than each if them individually. They literally control the market. Android was a blip on the market share while being avail on T-Mo and Sprint. When VZW got android it exploded (along with their marketing of Droid)

The 2nd tier is Sprint and T-Mo. Nat'l carriers but with a fraction of revenue or market share. They both market themselves differently as well (with Sprint being the cheap big guy and T-Mo being the cheap youthful/trendy one)

Afterwards have regional carriers like Cricket, US cellular, etc.

Sprint can not have the nationwide coverage and data speeds of Verizon without raising their price and eliminating unlimited data (they will unequivocally eliminate unlimited data within a couple years max) so as a customer you gotta hope you live in an area with good Sprint coverage and don't need customer service.

For customer service awards the winner is always VZW or T-Mo. One of them always wins (currently VZW is the latest winner of the JD Power award)

On a slightly related note about unlimited data: it maybe awhile down the road but home ISP are discussing capping that data limit as well.

There are very valid reasons why data plans are capped or throttled. Just like with many changes, it's the few who ruin for the majority.

And for those, like myself, who are grandfathered into unlimited data plans: enjoy them. Because they won't last forever. Shortly after Sprint drops theirs expect AT&T and Verizon to start phasing out the feature from accounts by way of forcing you to change once you upgrade your contract.

fan of fanboys 02-11-2012 06:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dorambo
Well played Sir Fanboy

Ha thanks.

Obviously I work there (it's been on my profile since I started in this site) but I truly believe it is a quality company that is hugely beneficial for America. It is a positive example of a well run capitalist venture. Employees are treated above market standard, the product is consistently above market standard, and it invest back into the communities and people who build it.

brightsidememe 02-11-2012 07:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Susiee
switch to AT&T

I paid $300 to leave att horrible reception. Verizon is great they just slow down my data.
Oh and att does the same when you use more than 5gb