Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   TJ General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f282/)
-   -   Help with my front folding seats! (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f282/help-with-my-front-folding-seats-138903.html)

Daily Driver 02-10-2012 09:35 PM

Help with my front folding seats!

My seats seem to be all intact, they just stop folding down and then up. Any help would help.

Hammerwalk 02-10-2012 09:38 PM

Are you talking about the tumble feature by pulling the tab on the seat at about shoulder level?

DrewG 02-10-2012 09:48 PM

Yeah, like the front seat or the rear? My drivers seat does not fold up period, I'm pretty sure it's not made to...only the passenger's seat, only i've usually got too much crap in the passenger's footwell for that to function correctly...never had a problem with the rear seat folding forward, though...not sure if that's a function of the sixtel keg in the back or just good karma for having one there...

Daily Driver 02-10-2012 09:49 PM

Yea, pull it ...nothin. Sorry there both of my front ones.

Hammerwalk 02-10-2012 10:04 PM

Most likely that cable snapped. Mine did that and it's a very common thing to happen with the tumbling seats. There is a link somewhere ( on my phone or I would be more helpful) of Stu's offroading that shows how to replace the cable. Do a search for repair tumbling seat in the TJ section. Should bring up a hit.

DrewG 02-10-2012 10:08 PM

So it does absolutely nothing? Like, it doesn't even make the seat back come foreward and the seat go to the front without tumbling? My guess would be the cable/rod/connection inside the seat. This assuming it did it before. I'm pretty sure some TJs didn't do it from the factory. I have been wrong before though, and it would not entirely surprise me if I were again.

DrewG 02-10-2012 10:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hammerwalk (Post 2016424)
Most likely that cable snapped. Mine did that and it's a very common thing to happen with the tumbling seats. There is a link somewhere ( on my phone or I would be more helpful) of Stu's offroading that shows how to replace the cable. Do a search for repair tumbling seat in the TJ section. Should bring up a hit.

Here's a repair walkthrough I found...
Jeep Wrangler Seat Track Release Cable Repair
Hope it helps...

Daily Driver 02-10-2012 10:17 PM

Thanks.. Ill look for that thread. Yea, both seats worked fine when I bought it. Have to flip it forward from the catch on the back side.

mongol 02-10-2012 10:53 PM

I have a 04 tj and my driver seat back tilts forward but the seat does not lift up it's not made to do that the steering wheel is in the way

Hammerwalk 02-10-2012 10:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mongol
I have a 04 tj and my driver seat back tilts forward but the seat does not lift up it's not made to do that the steering wheel is in the way

Some models and years had the driver also tumble. I can't recall which but my 02 Sahara only has the passenger tumble.

mongol 02-15-2012 10:04 PM

thanks

Salman 02-16-2012 12:11 AM

i have a 98 tj sahara,, the driver seat used to tumble perfectly! but not anymore :-/
anyways i think i snapped the wire or something

Rolf 02-16-2012 12:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hammerwalk (Post 2016716)
Some models and years had the driver also tumble. I can't recall which but my 02 Sahara only has the passenger tumble.

It was an option I think. My '03 Sahara has fold and tumble on both front seats.