Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   TJ General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f282/)
-   -   has anyone with an 06 not have opda problems? (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f282/has-anyone-with-an-06-not-have-opda-problems-139108.html)

bheiser 02-12-2012 02:15 AM

has anyone with an 06 not have opda problems?

Just wondering, I have 30k on the od and no sounds yet.

ebigham1 02-12-2012 08:32 AM

I have an 06 with 45,000 and no problems yet. I thought I read on this site that the problems were on the 04/05's and not the 06's.

MikeMTJ 02-12-2012 09:21 AM

It's an 05/06 problem. I have 58,000 on the clock and nothing. I've inspected it, and there is no abnormal wear.

Honestly, the problem is vastly exaggerated by the Internet.

nate_g 02-12-2012 09:27 AM

Ok. Maybe a dumb question but what is an opda? I have an 05. Is this something I should worry about?

JDsDream 02-12-2012 09:30 AM

64,000 and no problems. (knock on wood)

commodore_dude 02-12-2012 09:31 AM

45k and no problems here, but it's still clearly a design flaw and I hope someone comes up with a permanent fix before mine has any trouble.

LJMJ 02-12-2012 10:21 AM

Mine's an '06 with 33k, no problems yet. I change the oil A LOT.

nate_g 02-12-2012 10:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nate_g
Ok. Maybe a dumb question but what is an opda? I have an 05. Is this something I should worry about?

Please explain. I'm not sure what opda is?

LJMJ 02-12-2012 01:03 PM

Oil Pump Drive Assembly (basically, what used to be the distributer, now is the cam pick-up, and oil pump drive).

Some '04-'06 TJ/LJ's suffer extreme gear wear, and possibly cam damage.

TJDave 02-12-2012 01:06 PM

Mine is an '04 with 40,000 miles. I hope it's not an 04 thing too. If it is, I have not had any problems yet.

LJMJ 02-12-2012 01:11 PM

Chrysler, released a TSB, that included the VIN's of the affected Jeeps. Some owners outside of that range have reported similar problems.

Best do some research (google around a bit for "opda", and you'll find a bunch of info.)

(sorry 'bout the mini high-jack!)

jgorm 02-12-2012 01:43 PM

~60K miles on my 06 with no issues.

UnlimitedLJ04 02-12-2012 01:53 PM

read these:
2005-06 Jeep OPDA_CPS_Distributor Failure - JeepForum.com
Survey: Do You Have an OPDA Issue? 05-06 TJ/LJ's - JeepForum.com

Rubicon2 02-12-2012 02:35 PM

85,000 miles and no abnormal wear on my 05. Vastly over exaggerated by the Internet. The TSB lists the problem is with a very select few wranglers but some others have reported problems.

Jp90Talon 02-12-2012 07:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rubicon2 (Post 2021438)
Vastly over exaggerated by the Internet. The TSB lists the problem is with a very select few wranglers but some others have reported problems.

Yup Id call this vastly exaggerated....

Happen with 51K miles. Just glad I was crawling on a trail when I lost all oil pressure rather than driving along on the highway. Worst part was there were no signs or warnings that it was going bad....

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v4...p/102_1106.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v4...p/102_1104.jpg

bheiser 02-12-2012 07:32 PM

What year do u have?

Jp90Talon 02-12-2012 07:37 PM

Rubicon2 02-12-2012 08:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jp90Talon

Yup Id call this vastly exaggerated....

Happen with 51K miles. Just glad I was crawling on a trail when I lost all oil pressure rather than driving along on the highway. Worst part was there were no signs or warnings that it was going bad....

Yes vastly over exaggerated. You're one of how many thousands of 05 and 06 wranglers with the 4.0? I'm just saying it isn't affecting everyone.

Grizzly-Chris 02-13-2012 05:00 AM

Hiya,
Ok, I'm well concerned now having read this thread, I was about to start negotiating a deal on a 06 tj with 16k miles on it , if that didn't work out then next choice is an 05 with 53k miles, ok both of these are for sale in the UK so are UK models, is this opda problem im reading about going to be a problem as I guess the engine will be made in the same place.
Can anyone advise,
Thanks.

tailhole 02-13-2012 07:18 AM

68,000 and all is good

mraybrake 02-13-2012 08:34 AM

almost 87,000 on my '06 without any problems!

Jonny15 02-13-2012 09:57 AM

56,000 and no problems

Jp90Talon 02-13-2012 10:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rubicon2 (Post 2022666)
Yes vastly over exaggerated. You're one of how many thousands of 05 and 06 wranglers with the 4.0? I'm just saying it isn't affecting everyone.

Yes but how many people actually take the time to pull it and check for wear? Most wait until something actually fails. I would bet a large portion of people posting in this thread have not actually checked and if they did a significant % would find premature wear.

jgorm 02-13-2012 10:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jp90Talon (Post 2024556)
Yes but how many people actually take the time to pull it and check for wear? Most wait until something actually fails. I would bet a large portion of people posting in this thread have not actually checked and if they did a significant % would find premature wear.

No point on checking! If it fails and destroys the engine its time for a stroker!

MikeMTJ 02-13-2012 10:34 AM

Quote:

How often do you see someone having OPDA problems or related problems in the tech section of this forum? I would reckon a small handful of the wrangler sold actually have any issues.

I pulled mine out myself, and I also had it inspected by the dealership for documentation purposes.

MechanicJay 02-13-2012 10:44 AM

I have 78K on my '06. I bought it w/ 50K. I pulled the OPDA at about 60K to inspect. I found residue of melted plastic from the top bushing melted to the shaft and lots of bushing shavings under the trigger wheel. I cleaned the shaft and lubed the hell out the shaft and upper bushing. The gear itself looked okay.

I'll pull it again in the spring to inspect. Design flaw? Yes. Do I loose sleep over it? Not really, it's a known issue with known management techniques. If I psych myself into I'll drill and tap a zerk into the housing to lube it at every oil change.

Jp90Talon 02-13-2012 10:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeMTJ (Post 2024666)
How often do you see someone having OPDA problems or related problems in the tech section of this forum? I would reckon a small handful of the wrangler sold actually have any issues.

I pulled mine out myself, and I also had it inspected by the dealership for documentation purposes.

See you are one of the few people that can actually say that they checked. Most people wait until there is an actual issue. I would guess that at least 1/2 of he people that posted in this thread to say how many miles and no issue haven't actually pulled it and examined it. Even if the fail rate is 1 out of every 100 that is a huge fail rate with the amount of jeeps produced. And its not like its a minor failure if it happens. Just read the JF threads and the number of people that weren't having any issues but pulled it to find premature wear. The number alone on JF is quite large. That is significant enough. I'm not certain what you consider a small handful but to me it is a hige gamble not to keep checking it every 20k miles.

Quote:

Originally Posted by MechanicJay (Post 2024722)
I have 78K on my '06. I bought it w/ 50K. I pulled the OPDA at about 60K to inspect. I found residue of melted plastic from the top bushing melted to the shaft and lots of bushing shavings under the trigger wheel. I cleaned the shaft and lubed the hell out the shaft and upper bushing. The gear itself looked okay.

I'll pull it again in the spring to inspect. Design flaw? Yes. Do I loose sleep over it? Not really, it's a known issue with known management techniques. If I psych myself into I'll drill and tap a zerk into the housing to lube it at every oil change.

I agree as well. Do I regret buying my 05 LJ. Not one bit and would not hesitate to make the same purchase again. I don't worry about it......I just consider it an extra item that I have to keep an eye on as part of routine maintenance. However it is not something that I want to take the gamble and ignore. My pockets aren't deep enough to be planning an engine swap. That $ is set aside for much more fun mods. And that's not even considering the safety concerns. I was lucky to have mine fail while crawling on a trail. If I had been traveling on the highway when I lost all oil pressure it would have been a completely dif story that prob wouldn't have ended as well.

MikeMTJ 02-13-2012 11:45 AM

Quote:

See you are one of the few people that can actually say that they checked. Most people wait until there is an actual issue. I would guess that at least 1/2 of he people that posted in this thread to say how many miles and no issue haven't actually pulled it and examined it. Even if the fail rate is 1 out of every 100 that is a huge fail rate with the amount of jeeps produced. And its not like its a minor failure if it happens. Just read the JF threads and the number of people that weren't having any issues but pulled it to find premature wear. The number alone on JF is quite large. That is significant enough. I'm not certain what you consider a small handful but to me it is a hige gamble not to keep checking it every 20k miles.

I agree as well. Do I regret buying my 05 LJ. Not one bit and would not hesitate to make the same purchase again. I don't worry about it......I just consider it an extra item that I have to keep an eye on as part of routine maintenance. However it is not something that I want to take the gamble and ignore. My pockets aren't deep enough to be planning an engine swap. That $ is set aside for much more fun mods. And that's not even considering the safety concerns. I was lucky to have mine fail while crawling on a trail. If I had been traveling on the highway when I lost all oil pressure it would have been a completely dif story that prob wouldn't have ended as well.

I agree. It's something I keep my eye on, and I plan on pulling it out again at 70,000 miles.

I'm more worried about the longevity of my 42rle than my 4.0L.

Jp90Talon 02-13-2012 11:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeMTJ (Post 2025027)
I agree. It's something I keep my eye on, and I plan on pulling it out again at 70,000 miles.

I'm more worried about the longevity of my 42rle than my 4.0L.

See that's the issue....you actually check, but a large portion of people would rather take the gamble and only deal with it if there is an issue.

zdragon 02-13-2012 12:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Grizzly-Chris (Post 2024103)
Hiya,
Ok, I'm well concerned now having read this thread, I was about to start negotiating a deal on a 06 tj with 16k miles on it , if that didn't work out then next choice is an 05 with 53k miles, ok both of these are for sale in the UK so are UK models, is this opda problem im reading about going to be a problem as I guess the engine will be made in the same place.
Can anyone advise,
Thanks.

i paid blue book wholesale for my 06sportTJ last summer with 12K miles....i wouldn't lose any sleep over it. i'd assume all 05/06 Jeep engines are all the same world wide.
Good luck.