Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   JK General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/)
-   -   JKS or Teraflex disco's? (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/jks-or-teraflex-discos-139114.html)

flyinion 02-12-2012 03:30 AM

JKS or Teraflex disco's?
 
Is one better than the other? I was out at an off road park with a friend Saturday and while I did surprisingly well for a bone stock Sport S JKU, there were a few "oh #$%^" moments for me (going down steep hills at an angle so not to bottom out) that I have realized would have been helped by having quick disconnects installed. So this mod has risen to the #1 spot on my mod list. I'm just not sure which to go with. I don't know if I'm tired or what but Search isn't turning up a whole lot of info either :confused:

MrSig 02-12-2012 04:46 AM

The TF will be a lot easier to use. Just pull one pin and lock it to the park pin. The other one you pull 2 pins than have to strap the sway bar up..
So it is a no brainier Teraflex.

4fit 02-12-2012 07:17 AM

Many folks choose to go with the JKS because they are adjustable. However, both would work great.

stevebanzai 02-12-2012 07:55 AM

Do you have a lift?

bobthetj03 02-12-2012 12:39 PM

JKS is quality stuff. The Tera is less $$ though.

flyinion 02-12-2012 12:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stevebanzai (Post 2020483)
Do you have a lift?

No lift right now, but probably a 2" lift in the future.

OH9JK 02-12-2012 02:00 PM

I have had both. The JKS is better in my opinion if you plan to lift because they are adjustable. There are two ranges of adjustment, 0" - 2" and 2.5" - 6"

flyinion 02-16-2012 03:31 PM

I've decided to go with the Teraflex. I like their ability to lock to a pin on the frame so I don't have to deal with zipties or something to keep the swaybar out of the way. Now I just need to figure out where to buy from. I was going to use quadratec but their shipping seems excessive in $$$$. It goes off the cost of the item not the weight. So 130.99 + 24.99 shipping vs. Teraflex it's 136.99 + 14.99 shipping. WTH? Where else do you guys buy from?

4fit 02-16-2012 03:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by flyinion
I've decided to go with the Teraflex. I like their ability to lock to a pin on the frame so I don't have to deal with zipties or something to keep the swaybar out of the way. Now I just need to figure out where to buy from. I was going to use quadratec but their shipping seems excessive in $$$$. It goes off the cost of the item not the weight. So 130.99 + 24.99 shipping vs. Teraflex it's 136.99 + 14.99 shipping. WTH? Where else do you guys buy from?

Just contact the quadratec rep here on the forum and he will give you free shipping. You could also get free shipping by using Google Shopping and linking over to the product page at quadratec. Also, check Northridge 4x4, ORW, Krawl Offroad, etc.

Click this link to get free shipping on them at quadratec:
http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j...qZAE-g&cad=rja

GreenRubi 02-16-2012 03:45 PM

My vote goes to JKS. I've seen the JKS TBs installed on a couple JKs in the area and they are beefy and well built.

New2012JEEP 02-16-2012 04:32 PM

Tf for discos, fast

highwayman 02-16-2012 07:41 PM

JKS here, no issues. Nothing but great things to say about TF, here. But Ive honestly only heard bad things about their endlinks, continously going through bushings. They may have updated them though.

desertgoose 02-16-2012 08:37 PM

I have the teraflex disco's that I installed same time as their lift and stabilizer. I personally almost wish I would've bought the jks for more $. I really like the thought process and parking the links out of the way, but I hate the links that come with the kit. You have to punch the metal sleeve out so it'll fit over the pins. I greased the bushings and pins then installed. Never disconnected them because the bushings were so tight that it was hard to get them off the pins and the links were tough to pivot on the bushings. (I used a mallet the only time I got them off.) Also, the bushing is so wide that I had to struggle to squeeze it from between the axle pin and stabilizer mount on passenger side.

Luckily I still had the stock rear links and drilled the metal sleeve out so it would fit the pins. Now the links line up and have a little play on the pin so its easy on/off now.

If you have a stock link that is the right length I recommend the TF kit especially if you can buy it for less without their links.

flyinion 02-16-2012 09:04 PM

Hmmm, well I'm not opposed to going with the JKS ones still then, I guess I just need to figure out how to "tie up" or whatever it is that needs to be done to the swaybar while disconnected.

desertgoose 02-16-2012 09:13 PM

I am curious to hear from someone else with the TF disco's though. I just looked at the TF links in my garage. I just noticed that the rings the bushings are in are angled. There is a small chance that I happened to angle them both the wrong way limiting how far they can pivot.

It could've been my mistake but won't find out until the stock ones go bad or start bouncing around.

In my defense though. There is no mention in installation guide about which way to mount the links, and I installed them after the lift. Was getting late...

New2012JEEP 02-16-2012 09:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by desertgoose (Post 2040326)
I am curious to hear from someone else with the TF disco's though. I just looked at the TF links in my garage. I just noticed that the rings the bushings are in are angled. There is a small chance that I happened to angle them both the wrong way limiting how far they can pivot.

It could've been my mistake but won't find out until the stock ones go bad or start bouncing around.

In my defense though. There is no mention in installation guide about which way to mount the links, and I installed them after the lift. Was getting late...

I have actually dc'ed my friends in Ocala. I didn't even know what they were at the time (2years ago). He still has them...Ungreased, and told me they were TF Discos. I asked him tonight about install, he said no issues whatsoever, and never has had an issue. Maybe installed wrong on yours goose? I don't know, I am going to order TF though, as that is my lift.

Edit: I can see installing wrong however. I know when it got dark, we started scramblin to put stuff back together, and stopped looking at instructions. (flashlights at this point) I know at one point, we had the stock connects, both on same side at one point, until I realized one was backwards, but seemed right. Who knows, I know it is good now though after taking an afternoon to look at my underside.

desertgoose 02-16-2012 10:09 PM

They didn't mention the difference in the instructions, which I read before and during any install. Even checked again today when I noticed they weren't straight links.

New2012JEEP 02-16-2012 10:12 PM

Ya, the next day watching TF install video on you tube, was when i realized we installed wrong...On one side at least.

highwayman 02-17-2012 03:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by flyinion (Post 2040298)
Hmmm, well I'm not opposed to going with the JKS ones still then, I guess I just need to figure out how to "tie up" or whatever it is that needs to be done to the swaybar while disconnected.

Hmmm, I dont see the big deal w/just taking the things off. Id rather just have them out of there, myself. The JKS's take about an addl minute to completely remove & I just throw em in a sandwich bag, stuffed in my warbag.

flyinion 02-17-2012 03:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by highwayman (Post 2042536)
Hmmm, I dont see the big deal w/just taking the things off. Id rather just have them out of there, myself. The JKS's take about an addl minute to completely remove & I just throw em in a sandwich bag, stuffed in my warbag.

That's why I said I don't have a problem doing that as well. I just don't know the process of what has to be done with the swaybar itself after that. I thought I read it has to be tied up somehow so it doesn't get in the way.

44Blues 02-17-2012 04:05 PM

My local shop suggested the TF's so I'm gonna give them a try...I should have them soon.

bobthetj03 02-17-2012 04:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by highwayman (Post 2042536)
Hmmm, I dont see the big deal w/just taking the things off. Id rather just have them out of there, myself. The JKS's take about an addl minute to completely remove & I just throw em in a sandwich bag, stuffed in my warbag.

Any pics of how you retain your swaybar out of the way while disco'd? How often do you disco?

flyinion 02-18-2012 03:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 4fit (Post 2039008)
Just contact the quadratec rep here on the forum and he will give you free shipping. You could also get free shipping by using Google Shopping and linking over to the product page at quadratec. Also, check Northridge 4x4, ORW, Krawl Offroad, etc.

Click this link to get free shipping on them at quadratec:
http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j...qZAE-g&cad=rja


Well, never heard back from the rep, so I went ahead and figured out how to get to it through google shopping. Pretty nice find on that. I ordered the Teraflex ones.

highwayman 02-18-2012 03:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bobthetj03 (Post 2042723)
Any pics of how you retain your swaybar out of the way while disco'd? How often do you disco?

Every time I can find to get out in it. I just run a strap on the pssr side frame rail at the bar. Looks like you went w/the TF, enjoy em. Theyre good guys & if you do ever end up having issues theyll take care of you.

flyinion 03-05-2012 03:43 AM

Well, we tried to put the Teraflex disco's on today (Sunday). It was a total bust. The kit is going back. First, they have redesigned the links. They now have a permanently installed ball joint and stud complete with nylock on the upper portion (seems like a win to me no more re-using stock hardware). However then the problems started. First, there were two nylock nuts one each for the pins that go on the axle mounts. The problem is that one was a fine thread and one was a coarse thread. Second, there were no new nylock nuts for the body mount stud (as per the directions) to mount the disconnect "storage point" brackets that hold the disco's when you've, well, disco'd.

3rd, the other design change in the links is that the top zerk fitting no longer exists (hey less grease cool) but the problem is the bottom one has been moved from the end of the link to up near the rod that connects the two mounting points. This means either there must be a driver's and passenger's side link or you are not allowed to access the fitting of one of them once installed. Well, if there are supposed to be two different sides, I received two "driver's side" links then. When we attempted to install the 2nd link onto the passenger side we couldn't even get it to go onto the mounting pin on the axle connection. The angle was just too much. It was like you had to mount the top joint on the other side of the bracket. Then you have a nice scary bolt aiming at your tire though.

I'm going to end up with the JKS links. Of course now I just looked and those come in 0-2" and 2.5-6" lift. So now I have to debate whether I just have no disco's until I do my 2.5" lift, or get the 0-2's and sell them later and get the 2.5-6's when I do the lift. /sigh

kjeeper10 03-05-2012 06:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by flyinion
Well, we tried to put the Teraflex disco's on today (Sunday). It was a total bust. The kit is going back. First, they have redesigned the links. They now have a permanently installed ball joint and stud complete with nylock on the upper portion (seems like a win to me no more re-using stock hardware). However then the problems started. First, there were two nylock nuts one each for the pins that go on the axle mounts. The problem is that one was a fine thread and one was a coarse thread. Second, there were no new nylock nuts for the body mount stud (as per the directions) to mount the disconnect "storage point" brackets that hold the disco's when you've, well, disco'd.

3rd, the other design change in the links is that the top zerk fitting no longer exists (hey less grease cool) but the problem is the bottom one has been moved from the end of the link to up near the rod that connects the two mounting points. This means either there must be a driver's and passenger's side link or you are not allowed to access the fitting of one of them once installed. Well, if there are supposed to be two different sides, I received two "driver's side" links then. When we attempted to install the 2nd link onto the passenger side we couldn't even get it to go onto the mounting pin on the axle connection. The angle was just too much. It was like you had to mount the top joint on the other side of the bracket. Then you have a nice scary bolt aiming at your tire though.

I'm going to end up with the JKS links. Of course now I just looked and those come in 0-2" and 2.5-6" lift. So now I have to debate whether I just have no disco's until I do my 2.5" lift, or get the 0-2's and sell them later and get the 2.5-6's when I do the lift. /sigh

Why don't you give them a call?

Awesome to work with :whistling:

RemoJK 03-05-2012 06:50 AM

I got the JKS disconnects and they are very good and easy to install. If you look at the pic close enough you can see where I ziptie my sway bar up. Just make sure you got big zipties to go around your frame.
(sorry it's not closer only pic i had where you were able to see it)
http://i811.photobucket.com/albums/z...champ/dv31.jpg
http://i811.photobucket.com/albums/z...amp/disc-1.jpg

141 03-05-2012 11:20 AM

Check out the ORO Sway locks. You can get an air acuated switch or a single flip lever. I run the JKS on my TJ and they are a pain the butt to pin both side up. Plus with discos you need to be on level ground to connect/disconnect them. I'm going with the antirock on my JKU and will also put on one my TJ when money allows. Any kind of side hill is spooky when you're front is totally disconnected. Alot more stability with the antirock. Couple threads on this at the "other" jeep forum.

flyinion 03-16-2012 02:25 AM

Just a final closure to this. Wanted to give Quadratec a huge thumbs up for an extremely fast refund. How fast? UPS says the package arrived at 9:xx in the morning on Thursday 3-15. I just checked my bank a bit after midnight 3-16 just now and the money is ALREADY back in. Says a lot to me about the quality of a business if they're willing and able to process refunds that fast. That may have been my first purchase (and unfortunately turned into a refund) from them, but it will for sure not be my last purchase with them.

bobthetj03 03-16-2012 11:17 AM

I've had pretty good luck with them over the years. Purchased several things from them with no issues.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:51 AM.