Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   General Jeep Discussion (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f19/)
-   -   Why did you buy a Jeep? (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f19/why-did-you-buy-a-jeep-139134.html)

xFallenZ38X 02-12-2012 08:33 AM

Why did you buy a Jeep?

I'm 15 and I am in a speech class. We are doing persuasive speeches, I chose "Why you should buy a Jeep Wrangler"

I've always wanted one, so I thought it would be a fun topic. The problem is I can't find any logical arguments.

I am asking you guys to tell me why you bought your Jeep instead of any other off road vehicle. If you've owned or driven an off road vehicle, please compare, it would help a lot, and hopefully I can expand the future Jeep community.

Thanks

BTW my teacher used to have a Wrangler haha.

JackdUp 02-12-2012 08:46 AM

Your logical argument? Perhaps you should start with asking yourself "Why would YOU want (or need) a Jeep?"

Welcome to the forum.....

I'll start with "I never considered owning a Jeep, but when I saw the one I have now, it was just so good looking, I had to have it! Although I do not use a Jeep for its intended "Jeep" purposes (off-road, mudding, rock-crawling), I do appreciate its off-road capabilities and usefulness if and when it snows. The 4-wheel capabilities are very useful whereas, other vehicles may get stuck in the snow."

In addition, many Jeepers use them as recreational vehicles, such as at a place called MOAB. A "Jeeper's Heaven" (Do a search for your research)

Also, consider the open air, top off fun looking vehicle.

This should get you started and many Jeepers will tell you that its not just a vehicle, but a lifestyle, filled with many aftermarket parts to allow each person near unlimited personalized options to customize their Jeep to fit their personality.

Gate53 02-12-2012 08:54 AM

Easy I bought mine because NASA wouldn't sell me a Space Shuttle and it looked like the second most fun vehicle.

nick50471 02-12-2012 09:08 AM

I bought mine to flip. Buy low, do a little work and sell for a tidy profit.
I joined this damn forum to ask a few simple questions and now I have a Wrangler that has a factory look but is anything but. :thumb:

Another Guy In A Jeep 02-12-2012 09:14 AM

I was unaware of the community of jeepers when I bought one. I just saw it and thought it was an amazing vehicle. When i got it I came across this site, which nearly quadrupled my liking of the wrangler :thumb:

PeteH 02-12-2012 09:28 AM

No logical reason. I bought it because I'm an old geezer and wanted an open car for a while. Intended to keep it maybe a year. After most of a year, I think I'll keep it indefinitely, but I WILL buy a more conventional (and more civilized) car too. BTW, it's a 2000 TJ Sport, totally stock.

xFallenZ38X 02-12-2012 10:15 AM

Thanks for the replies guys.

Question: How would the Wrangler compare to other off road vehicles like the LR or the Xterra? I've searched around and found little info. Hopefully one of you guys have driven one.

Thanks again

spatty 02-12-2012 10:21 AM

I used to be into atv's,snowmobile's, and harly's and when my daughter was born I wanted something I could do with her. I now have 92 yj and a 97 tj and she loves to ride in them both. So in other words it was somthing we can do as a family.

xFallenZ38X 02-12-2012 10:56 AM

Haha thats awesome. My teacher said he sold his Jeep because of his family. I like your approach better :thumb:

88Sahara 02-12-2012 12:39 PM

Its basic, reliable, goes where others can't and not just anyone drives one.

schnutzy 02-12-2012 12:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xFallenZ38X (Post 2020791)
Thanks for the replies guys.

Question: How would the Wrangler compare to other off road vehicles like the LR or the Xterra? I've searched around and found little info. Hopefully one of you guys have driven one.

Thanks again

how bout a mitsubishi montero.
ive got one of those. compared to a wrangler, well nothing has front end flex like a wrangler,solid axles at both ends makes it king there. the short wheelbase means it takes tighter corners better as well. but then on the flip side, my longer wheelbase is supposed to be an advantage in steep climbs.
as a purely offroad vehicle, while things like monteros, Xterras and such can do very well, they are still some what of a compromise, where the wrangler is not. however my montero rides nicer, tows more, and is more useful in the day to day then a wrangler. which is exactly why this montero is being replaced with a wrangler when the budget allows.

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-R...0/IMG_4065.JPG

michael305 02-12-2012 01:08 PM

a co worker of mine had a 2 door wrangler and i drove around it alot and it was fun. or felt cool. my old car was a 2 door mustang. i used to own a jeep cheerokee in hs. but from college till last month it was a mustang. but i never really felt the way i did when i was in HS or now in my jeep. i saw the new models at the 2011 auto show and was hooked. im getting one for sure. a year later i got a black 2012 2 door wrangler hard top . and so far i love it so much.. so much fun

IP0VV3R 02-12-2012 01:11 PM

It's an American icon. I would have gone with a truck but I didn't like driving big vehicles when I got my jeep. Some of my friends had jeeps and I loved them

Dans65 02-12-2012 01:12 PM

I bought it to go off-road where others cannot, to go further outdoors then the camp grounds. To play in the woods, the snow, or the desert sand. I didn't get it for gas mileage or the economical reasons, because, there isn't one. My 2 cents.

michael305 02-12-2012 01:14 PM

oh i have to add since owning my jeep. 2 neighbors near me have jeeps and have said and asked whats new and how the engien is.. its like a group now its really cool how people ask u wow cool car or wow thats the new jeep. you really feel part of a club or something owning a jeep. its cool

rospan 02-12-2012 01:16 PM

Don't forget about the heritage of the Jeep. It was built specifically for the military's needs and has now become one of the best offroad vehicles available to the public.

IP0VV3R 02-12-2012 01:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rospan
Don't forget about the heritage of the Jeep. It was built specifically for the military's needs and has now become one of the best offroad vehicles available to the public.

Stock compared to stock

4x4builder1 02-12-2012 02:09 PM

Lived/wheeled in the same area since I could drive. I always had suburbans and tahoes and wheeled with other full size trucks. Now that I've got the jeep I keep finding stuff I never knew about because my rig couldn't get there. Smaller half the weight of a fullsize and a really turning radius.

yj95wrangler 02-12-2012 02:10 PM

I bought my Wrangler to get my man card back! Got rid of my s-10 to get my wife a new car (2011 Jeep Compass) and I took her old car. I drove it for about 6 months but I just didnt fit in the purple 4 door Saturn group. had to get my man card back.

xFallenZ38X 02-12-2012 02:40 PM

Thanks very much guys, you are making me want a Wrangler even more haha

Aunt Flow 02-12-2012 03:13 PM

It's a Manvertible. I bought mine mostly for deer hunting, it will fit down most trails, its 4x4. You can take the top AND doors off. Super easy to work on. Chicks dig it.

strider_mt2k 02-12-2012 03:42 PM

I wanted one for a long time...and it was time. :D

dabolt55 02-12-2012 03:47 PM

Actually, bought it to tow behind RV... That's what I told my wife..:whistling:

Johnboy11 02-12-2012 04:01 PM

Well My reason is that I was wanting another motorcycle, but then got to thinking about being a single dad with two kid's I have full custody of and if I got killed who would take care of them?. Motorcycles are very dangerous, people just don't see them very well. So I got to thinking about what would be as much fun as a bike but not as dangerous. Well I saw a jeep in town with the top off and knew right then and there what I wanted. So I bought my jeep, and I never even think about a bike now. My kids love it also.

STUCK-N-MUCK 02-12-2012 05:32 PM

I bought mine as a "mid 30's crisis". I grew up modifying rc cars and trucks...missed the customizing aspect. I like looking through catalogs and making my jeep "mine". very aftermarket friendly.

ballistx 02-12-2012 05:34 PM

Universal/Its a JEEP thing

Prior to the Wrangler, the small Jeep was known as a Jeep Universal, or just Universal. That came about because of the universality of the vehicle. It started with its insertion into the 2nd World War. Its universality in that war was a tribute to its designers and was instrumental in the winning of the war. (Do a little research on all the various ways it was used).

After the war it was used for farming (plowing, trenching, hoisting, winching, logging). It has been the mounting platform for major trenchers and boom trucks. It was used as a tractor and as a stationary power plant using pulley systems for power transfer. During the period of the 50's and 60's
it became the basis of the design for the initial SUV's. It was stretched, widened, given better amenities and still retained its universal character.

During that period of time the "Its a JEEP thing" evolved. It wasn't a single thing, but a myriad of the "things" that had evolved over its life. It was a symbol of freedom and capability far beyond its appearance. By purchasing a JEEP Universal, a person could capture that feeling of capability, freedom, and commarodery. Hence was born the "Jeep Wave". It was merely lifting the fingers off the steering wheel when you met a fellow Jeeper. It gave a feeling of belonging.

When the energy era arrived, along with the "OSHA" safety craze, it was necessary for the Jeep to evolve once again. When it was transformed, it was given the title "Wrangler". This gave reminiscent of the Wrangler Jeans that related to Cowboys and all of the symbology. Still it maintained its heritage.

While it is now referred to as a Jeep Wrangler, or just "Wrangler" it is still very much a Universal. It has retained its basic characteristics that have endeared it. Its design makes it very easy to work on and maintain. It is extremely versatile. It is one of the most capable vehicles in adverse conditions. It is reliable as demonstrated by vehicles routinely having 200,000 to 300,000 miles. It is recognized as being one of the top vehicles for retaining value. It is easily modified to fit a person's personal needs and desires. It is unique and virtually always draws a look. When driving, while most other vehicles blend into anonymity, one always seems to notice the Wrangler in the other lane.

When a person has 3 vehicles in the driveway, 2 high end SUV's and a Wrangler, why is it that the Wrangler is the first one that makes the trip for the errand? It is one of the few vehicles that you can pop off a winter hard top and put on a summer ragtop in a few minutes. You can change the doors to soft, or take them off. You can put on a 12,000 lb winch and it will look like it belongs there. It is a reflection of character and gives the driver the appearance of being a free spirit that is independent and can take care of the situation.

Why a Wrangler? Its a JEEP THING!

Aunt Flow 02-12-2012 05:45 PM

:thumb:Good job Clavin!:rolleyes:

willee51 02-12-2012 05:48 PM

Because...........

... I'm an old geezer .. andi I love the out-of-doors, ESPECIALLY the Mtns :thumb:

Nothing will get me there like a JEEP, and is one vehicle, easiest to get Mod's for and repair parts down the road :thumb:

My Dad was in WW II, Army Signal Corp's and his and other soldiers stories of the ole Willis convinced me that I wanted a JEEP.

At 65, I have had more vehicles than I want to admit or can remember:confused:, and can say I enjoy my 2012 JKU more than any other :dance:

:popcorn:

PTWarrior66 02-12-2012 06:03 PM

Babes dig the Jeep, that's why.

IP0VV3R 02-12-2012 06:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PTWarrior66
Babes dig the Jeep, that's why.

You got that right