Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   TJ General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f282/)
-   -   windsheild light mounts (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f282/windsheild-light-mounts-139388.html)

heiser 02-13-2012 11:17 AM

windsheild light mounts

opinions on these if you have them or if you don't. or what are you running or prefer.

Search Results - Quadratec

Rugged Ridge 488490 - Windshield Light Mounting Bracket in Stainless Steel for 97-06 Jeep® Wrangler TJ & Unlimited - Quadratec

looking for some thing that i won't have to worry about rusting

TXST8tj 02-13-2012 11:33 AM

The Delta brackets are about 3x more expensive than they need to be.

I installed a set of the black Rugged Ridge brackets for someone a few months ago. At least one of the holes on each bracket did not line up with the windshield frame. He ended up sending them back and ordering the KC brackets.
http://i929.photobucket.com/albums/a...a/2c5d7fe9.jpg

I have installed KC brackets on all 3 of my TJs and have not had an issue with any of them.

As long as there is no bare metal exposed, you should never see any rust.

BeerMan 02-13-2012 02:02 PM

X2 on the KC brackets.

I smacked the $hit out of a tree limb and it hit my KC light/bracket then my windshield/frame. My windshield broke and the frame crumpled like paper while the KC light and bracket went unscathed...crazy. All it did was rip the wires out the back of it.

mx_rooster 02-13-2012 02:04 PM

kc brackets, bolt right up no issues.

spy 02-13-2012 02:07 PM

Before you purchase these, take the bolt's out on the hinge so you know you can get them out lol :whistling: just a word of advise :D

2004_Silver_Sport 02-13-2012 02:08 PM

I bought the Olympic 4x4 ones because I liked how small and low profile they were. Even though they're small they're tough. They're made from 3/16 steel I'm pretty sure. I haven't measured to confirm it though.

denisbaldwin 02-13-2012 02:59 PM

I have the cheapie rugged ridge ones (bought second hand) and they work just fine. No alignment issues. Granted, I may have to flip them around and bottom mount them now that my overhead lightbar just came in from CARR :D

dfry 02-13-2012 04:23 PM

I too have the KC windshield brackets. The fit and finish are excellent.

TJe0454 02-13-2012 04:31 PM

KC. get um off of amazon. i think mine were 30 shipped to my door. heres the link
Amazon.com: KC HiLiTES 7311 Windshield Hinge Light Mount Brackets - Set of 2: Automotive

Unico 02-13-2012 04:37 PM

I had to buy the Rugged Ridge mounts over the KC mounts (P.O. relocated the mirrors off the doors to the side of the windshield and stripped the bolt putting them on. They are gonna be there forever now). The Rugged Ridge ones lined up fine, but the bolts were incorrect. The original bolts were not long enough to re-use so I had to make a hardware store trip.

Since then they have been just fine a-okay. x2 on making sure you can unscrew the original bolts first before purchasing.

Westbrook 02-13-2012 05:22 PM

They're expensive but I got the Warrior Products mirror and light combo bracket. I don't have them on yet but they look like they will line up perfectly and will be handy for the warmer weather when I get doors off.

fanofthegame 01-30-2013 09:04 PM

Westbrook- please post a pic on this thread once you install those on your jeep. You and I have similar jeeps, and I would love to see it on, before I too pull the trigger on it. I understood that the warrior mirror light combo bracket was not comparable to our stock mirrors? Are you planning on geeting new mirrors too?

Wesboy 01-31-2013 10:38 PM

I used to have the Rugged Ridge mounts - I like that the mounting holes are slotted so you can have a bit of fore/aft movement when mounting the lights - which is needed (depending on the size of the lights) to clear the hood when it's leaned back on the windshield.

EDIT - My avatar pic is with the RR mounts.

Currently running the Warrior Products mounts. These mount lower :thumb: but stick out wider - I'm sure the reason for this is so the hood can be leaned back on the windshield.
No problems with the mirrors (unless you remove the check straps from the doors).

I haven't tried the Delta mounts.
I can't imagine there would be enough space to run a full size 6" Daylighter and still have room to lean the hood back on the windshield, but if I was going to mount something smaller there (Like a 4" light) I think they would be perfect.
Nice and low and not too wide.

CK03TJ 02-01-2013 07:14 AM

I put these on about 2 weeks ago, love em so far!!!

MBRP Windshield Light Brackets (97-06 Wrangler TJ) 131043 - Free Shipping over $75!

I put KC Apollo pro 100w long range lights on them. I don't have any pics of them yet.

Wesboy 02-01-2013 09:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CK03TJ (Post 3306995)
I put these on about 2 weeks ago, love em so far!!!

MBRP Windshield Light Brackets (97-06 Wrangler TJ) 131043 - Free Shipping over $75!

I put KC Apollo pro 100w long range lights on them. I don't have any pics of them yet.

I haven't seen those MBRP mounts before - definately not as wide as the Warrior Products mounts.
Can you still lean the hood back on the windshield with the KC Apollos mounted?

CK03TJ 02-01-2013 09:45 AM

Wesboy I haven't tried to put the hood all the way back since I put them on. I will try and get back to you

CK03TJ 02-01-2013 10:00 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Just ran out to the parking lot at work to check on the hood. yes it will go all the way to the windshield and I could still get 2 fingers between the hood and light. BTW they are the 6" lights

Wesboy 02-01-2013 11:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CK03TJ (Post 3307433)
Just ran out to the parking lot at work to check on the hood. yes it will go all the way to the windshield and I could still get 2 fingers between the hood and light. BTW they are the 6" lights

Thanks CK
Looks like I will be changing windshield mounts again :rolleyes:

This will be the 4th pair!

florida4X4wrangler 02-01-2013 12:02 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Ordered the kc mounts off eBay for $32 with free shipping and mounted lights on them, they do the job!

Attachment 204328

TJspeed 02-01-2013 12:44 PM

KC's. Craigslist $20! :thumb:

HattenJeep 08-02-2013 09:07 PM

I think my jeep has been painted. The bolts look painted to the windshield bracket, "kind-of" and they will not budge. I feel the Torx driver will break.

I have a #30 Torx driver and it seems loose. I bought replacement bolts to match the Kc mount. I'm thinking on taking the jeep to a auto body shop and have them mount them. . . Thoughts? I feel like bailing on this project

Wesboy 08-02-2013 09:53 PM

You will need Torx #40 for those bolts - The paint will make it harder to get the Torx in correctly but make sure they are seated correctly BEFORE you start turning them - you don't want to strip those bolts.

Seat the T40 correctly, get right over it with a lot of pressure and make sure it doesn't slip.

dfry 09-16-2013 09:31 AM

An impact driver works well. On two of my six bolts, they just wouldn't budge and stripped the heads. I took my Jeep to a local body shop and they got them off in just a few minutes, but using a air operated impact chisel. Drilled a small hole on the bolt head near the edge for the chisel to get a bite into and they were turning in no time. I also did this with my roll bar bolts when installing my tire carrier. I replaced those with grade 8 hex bolts. Now I own an air chisel.