Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

offset/backspacing for 35' nitto mud grappler

6K views 12 replies 4 participants last post by  wheely4fun 
#1 ·
decided to get the nitto mud grappler and 17s (35X12.50X17). the website suggest the ideal width for wheel is 10'. Whats the ideal offset? -44?

#5 ·
Also, now that I think about it...

You want a bs of 4.5" or less. The smaller the bs #, the more the wheel stick out from the Jeep.

Forget offset.

Here's an equation to convert offset to bs:

Take offset, divide by 25.4, then add the overall rim width (rim width +1) divided by 2

so: 17x8 with -44 mm offset
-44mm / 25.4 = -1.73" + (((8"+1")/2)= 4.5") = 2.77" BS...Which means your wheels will be in Indiana when you're in Illinois. Not a good thing. :D

Make sense?

#6 ·
kbwwolf said:
Also, now that I think about it...

You want a bs of 4.5" or less. The smaller the bs #, the more the wheel stick out from the Jeep.

Forget offset.

Here's an equation to convert offset to bs:

Take offset, divide by 25.4, then add the overall rim width (rim width +1) divided by 2

so: 17x8 with -44 mm offset
-44mm / 25.4 = -1.73" + (((8"+1")/2)= 4.5") = 2.77" BS...Which means your wheels will be in Indiana when you're in Illinois. Not a good thing. :D

Make sense?
Yes!!! I'm finally clear on this! Thank you so much. Can you suggest an ideal wheel that can go with the grappler?

#7 · (Edited)
Yes!!! I'm finally clear on this! Thank you so much. Can you suggest an ideal wheel that can go with the grappler?
If I could, I'd sell it, and be eating lobster with The Donald tomorrow. If I liked him, which I don't. :D

Best advice...find a wheel you like (preferably several), and then look at bs. Like I said, you want one with 4.5" or less bs. Don't wanna go too low, though, as tires that stick out too far not only put stress on your bearings, but will paint your Jeep with roadcrap any time you drive in the rain. 4.5" to, say, 3.75" is a pretty safe bet.

Not to mention that, in many states, it's illegal for your tires to exceed the fender width. Most of us don't care (mine are outside the fenders). You only have to worry about Troopers, anyway, as city cops generally got more important things to do.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.