Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   TJ General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f282/)
-   -   Problems Accelerating Uphill (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f282/problems-accelerating-uphill-139448.html)

dannyh32184 02-13-2012 03:11 PM

Problems Accelerating Uphill
 
I drive a 1997 Jeep Wrangler. I have been having issues accelerating while driving uphill, especially in 2nd and 3rd gear. No matter how much I try it will not accelerate. There is no loud sound and the RPM's stay around 2k. Any ideas what the problem could be?

Curro 02-13-2012 03:15 PM

Is this a problem the just started? Have you upgraded tire sizes lately? If not then it could possibly be your catalytic convertor going bad? Are you throwing any codes?

Another Guy In A Jeep 02-13-2012 03:24 PM

Jeeps are bad for the uphills. Nothing to worry about unless i misread

Owen_TJ 02-13-2012 06:16 PM

I agree with "another guy"

they're lousy for going uphill...especially if you've gotten larger tires and havent regeared...

Helmsy 02-13-2012 06:19 PM

if its the 2.5.....dont shift outa 2nd :rofl:

ballistx 02-13-2012 07:13 PM

rpms
 
The key may be when you said you can't get it past 2,000 rpm. That smells of catalytic converter to me. I can't imagine a county, state, or federal highway that you cannot accelerate to about 3,500 or 4,000 when in 2nd or 3rd gear. That is unless you have the automatic. If it is the automatic, then that is probably normal. I have the 5 speed.

One other possibility is if you are coming up from1500 rpm and expecting it to climb. You have to get the 2.5 up to about 3,000 rpm to bring in the main torque. If you are lugging the engine (1500 rpm under load) then it won't do much.

dannyh32184 02-14-2012 01:48 PM

It is 5 speed manual. I had a similar issue with an old jeep I had and it was the catalytic converter but in that case the RPM's were increasing but nothing was happening and the issue was uphill and on flat ground. I did replace the tires about 4 months ago but haven't had any issues before now. Also, I just had an exhaust leak welded, this may have triggered something?

Geno 02-14-2012 01:54 PM

Oversized tires?

Helmsy 02-14-2012 01:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dannyh32184 (Post 2029934)
It is 5 speed manual. I had a similar issue with an old jeep I had and it was the catalytic converter but in that case the RPM's were increasing but nothing was happening and the issue was uphill and on flat ground. I did replace the tires about 4 months ago but haven't had any issues before now. Also, I just had an exhaust leak welded, this may have triggered something?

I don't see how getting the exhaust leak fixed would have done anything. If it was a cat it would most likely rev high and just not go anywhere (thats what the ones I have seen have always done anyway). Is it the 2.5? Thats what I have and i stay in 3rd sometimes even 2nd when going up big hills.

denisbaldwin 02-14-2012 03:05 PM

Your Jeep goes up hill? At speed? Really?

00tj2 02-14-2012 03:42 PM

There you have it.... If you just had the exhaust leak fixed then now it has no place to escape. Therefore if the cat is clogged up it now won't allow the airflow past it. Question is will it rev past 2k on flat ground?

Garlandxj 02-14-2012 05:48 PM

Two words: Jeep and Gravity.
Now seriously I would look at your cat.
Other than that
1. Did you put on larger tires when you replaced them?
2. If you did put on larger tires how much larger?
3. If you did put on larger tires did you regear?
4. How much weight did you gain over Christmas
5. How much of your wife or girfriends chocolate for Valentines day did you steal
6. How much trash from fast food places is stuffed in the back of the Jeep
7. Have you driven through any gravity wells lately?

jlreaa 02-14-2012 05:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Helmsy (Post 2029962)
I don't see how getting the exhaust leak fixed would have done anything. If it was a cat it would most likely rev high and just not go anywhere (thats what the ones I have seen have always done anyway). Is it the 2.5? Thats what I have and i stay in 3rd sometimes even 2nd when going up big hills.

I'm not saying this is wrong, but if the engine rev's higher and it is not an auto trans how does it not go faster without the clutch slipping? does something not have to be slipping somewhere?
Sorry for highjacking this! Just trying to get this through my thick skull.. :confused:

Joe

hardcoretj 02-14-2012 06:09 PM

I had a similar problem with a plugged fuel filter. Different brand vehicle though .

Helmsy 02-14-2012 07:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jlreaa (Post 2030865)
I'm not saying this is wrong, but if the engine rev's higher and it is not an auto trans how does it not go faster without the clutch slipping? does something not have to be slipping somewhere?
Sorry for highjacking this! Just trying to get this through my thick skull.. :confused:

Joe

I think i didn't say what I was trying to. The ones I have seen with clogged converters do this:
Your driving along and it will just stop accelerating at say 35 mph. You push the gas down and The engine doesn't rev higher exactly but it kinda bogs down and get a real deep drone to it. revving higher wasn't the right words.
But if he would have clogged cats I would think it would not just happen when going up hill it would be fairly consistent but I would still have them checked.

jgorm 02-15-2012 09:22 AM

2000 rpms is too low to accelerate. Use a lower gear and shift at 3500+


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:58 AM.