Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   JK General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/)
-   -   Dual Top Dilemma (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/dual-top-dilemma-139538.html)

starcreek 02-13-2012 09:40 PM

Dual Top Dilemma
 
I know I want a soft top, but think I want a hard top also for the winter months (I'm in Atlanta, so winters are not too harsh). Getting the hard top now adds $800, and $2,600 if I wait to buy later. A local dealer has said to just go with the soft because people who get both always end up just using one or the other (and those wanting soft take the hard top off and never put it on again). I know this is likely a personal decision and may depend upon where the person is located, but I'd appreciate any advice you can give me on this. This is my last decision to make before placing an order (JKU Sport S).

ChasmCrawler 02-13-2012 09:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by starcreek (Post 2027474)
I know I want a soft top, but think I want a hard top also for the winter months (I'm in Atlanta, so winters are not too harsh). Getting the hard top now adds $800, and $2,600 if I wait to buy later. A local dealer has said to just go with the soft because people who get both always end up just using one or the other (and those wanting soft take the hard top off and never put it on again). I know this is likely a personal decision and may depend upon where the person is located, but I'd appreciate any advice you can give me on this. This is my last decision to make before placing an order (JKU Sport S).

I ordered mine with a hardtop only and ended up getting a Bestop Supertop NX which is essentially a Mopar soft top.

If I had to do it again I would get the factory dual top option specifically because both tops will be covered under the 3yr/36k bumper to bumper warranty vs. the Bestop 2 yr. warranty and you still have to assemble the soft top if purchased separately. I didn't mind doing this, but some people might.

mc0351 02-13-2012 09:45 PM

i just got the hard top. then ended up buying a brand new soft top on craigs list for only 400. i would deff recomend going with hard top and adding a soft later on if you find you want one. much much cheaper to find a soft top then a hard top later on.

kjeeper10 02-13-2012 09:48 PM

Just get both.

Or what some do. Order with hardtop and go aftermarket/used OEM later.

Up2u :)

starcreek 02-13-2012 09:49 PM

I know I want a soft top. How about getting both and selling the hard top if I don't use it? Is there much of a market for them?

jp2611 02-13-2012 09:54 PM

AM on 3rd Jeep 1st one in 94 had hard top--always taking it off and on PIA. Sold this Jeep.
2ND Jeep '04 TJ put a halftop on about a year ago never had a hardtop....want frameless some day....MAYBE. Still have this Jeep.
3rd Jeep '12 JK knew going in I didn't want a hard-top or dual top. I keep Jeeps in the garage, I treat them like cars until I need the Jeep performance, in the snow or Mud--but the JK won't see much mud for a while.

To me it is a personal preference hard top or soft top...kinda like stick or auto.

For me in Northern INDIANA I don't NEED a hardtop. Heater is plenty good. Have driven the TJ below zero more than once.

Good Luck!

Akinvegas 02-13-2012 10:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by starcreek (Post 2027474)
I know I want a soft top, but think I want a hard top also for the winter months (I'm in Atlanta, so winters are not too harsh). Getting the hard top now adds $800, and $2,600 if I wait to buy later. A local dealer has said to just go with the soft because people who get both always end up just using one or the other (and those wanting soft take the hard top off and never put it on again). I know this is likely a personal decision and may depend upon where the person is located, but I'd appreciate any advice you can give me on this. This is my last decision to make before placing an order (JKU Sport S).

I have dual top with my 2010 JKU and change them out fairly regularly,
I doesnt take but 15 min to change out if you have a hoist system in your garage to lift off hard top. :punk: I dont like leaving the soft top on all the time because of the noise level and when weather is nice I dont like the hard top because i cant just throw it down and injoy the weather. So IMA if you can get both you should get both.

starcreek 02-13-2012 10:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jp2611 (Post 2027553)
AM on 3rd Jeep 1st one in 94 had hard top--always taking it off and on PIA. Sold this Jeep.
2ND Jeep '04 TJ put a halftop on about a year ago never had a hardtop....want frameless some day....MAYBE. Still have this Jeep.
3rd Jeep '12 JK knew going in I didn't want a hard-top or dual top. I keep Jeeps in the garage, I treat them like cars until I need the Jeep performance, in the snow or Mud--but the JK won't see much mud for a while.

To me it is a personal preference hard top or soft top...kinda like stick or auto.

For me in Northern INDIANA I don't NEED a hardtop. Heater is plenty good. Have driven the TJ below zero more than once.

Good Luck!


I grew up in Northern Indiana (West Lafayette). If you don't need it there in that God forsaken weather, man I don't either.

4fit 02-13-2012 10:25 PM

The one thing I kick myself for with my Jeep purchase is not getting the dual top. I personally like the look of the JKU better with the hardtop, but I would sure love to run a soft top during the summer. Plan to look for one, or maybe get a Trektop NX, this spring.

terminator012 02-13-2012 10:32 PM

Get them both. We take the soft top off every winter and when it warms up we put the soft top back on. I really couldn't see not getting both, you will be glad you did. All you need to do is figure out where you are going to store the one you don't have on. Our hard top hangs in the barn all summer. The soft top is pretty easy to store even with all the hardware for it taken off Jeep.

jp2611 02-13-2012 10:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by starcreek (Post 2027625)
I grew up in Northern Indiana (West Lafayette). If you don't need it there in that God forsaken weather, man I don't either.

am about 2hrs North and East of west Lafayette---:thumb:

rics1997 02-13-2012 10:42 PM

Live in TN right above you. Got dual tops (Soft top is Trektop NX) and haven't even thought about putting the hard top back on. Soft top is plenty good enough for winter.

JKatfish 02-13-2012 10:58 PM

I was trying to decide which top to get or the dual top option. I went for the hardtop as there are many aftermarket soft tops. Plan to go with the trektop nx, or go topless most of the year. The trektop uses the roll cage for support so I dont have to mess with all the brackets. And I think the nx fastback looks better. Doesn't rain much in summer here, so that makes it easy to go topless, bikini or mesh. Maybe just removing the T tops will suffice.

sunnykk 02-13-2012 11:52 PM

I had the same dilemma. I went with the dual top option as I live in Utah. The plan is to keep the hard top for winter and soft top for summer.

If you want to buy the second top later, go with the hard top and buy the soft top later. Its cheaper this way than the other way around. Also there are a lot of choices for soft tops. Trek top is pretty sleek as it angles down in the back and does not need a frame like the OEM soft top.

Secondly like someone else mentioned. Its easy to buy a soft top on your local ads as compared to a hard top.

Good luck

tribangle 02-13-2012 11:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by terminator012
Get them both. We take the soft top off every winter and when it warms up we put the soft top back on. I really couldn't see not getting both, you will be glad you did. All you need to do is figure out where you are going to store the one you don't have on. Our hard top hangs in the barn all summer. The soft top is pretty easy to store even with all the hardware for it taken off Jeep.

Exact same scenario here... anxiously awaiting the warmer weather here in Detroit.

Dual top all the way... Besides your salesman said it right, "you only use one or the other!" I don't think you can use both at the same time :)

Phishe 02-13-2012 11:57 PM

Get the dual
 
I didn't get the dual, and I regret it. It was high on my list of wanted features, but when I saw Bosco on the showroom floor, I had to pull the trigger.

Anyway, I've been watching craigslist in the Indy area on a daily basis since November and I've had no luck finding an OEM soft top for a 2dr JK. Haven't seen a single one for sale.

cavsvet74 02-14-2012 12:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by terminator012 (Post 2027716)
Get them both. We take the soft top off every winter and when it warms up we put the soft top back on. I really couldn't see not getting both, you will be glad you did. All you need to do is figure out where you are going to store the one you don't have on. Our hard top hangs in the barn all summer. The soft top is pretty easy to store even with all the hardware for it taken off Jeep.

Yep.:thumb:

Well, except I don't have a barn.

Dr Gonzo 02-14-2012 01:23 AM

I went with the hard top because I absolutely trashed the soft top windows on my TJ. In about a year. What does the JK have for plastic window storage?

I also got the hard top for the added security, as well as the additional weather protection from northern Michigan winters.... but I'm already pricing out toneau/windjammer combinations for the summer months. I just figured I wouldn't even have the back seat in unless I had plans to take more than one person wheeling, in which case the weather is probably nice anyway.

Vin 02-14-2012 05:44 AM

If you have space to store it during the off season, the smart thing would be, get the hard top. This way, you have everything wired, the computer programed, and the larger expense taken care of. You can always find an unwanted OE soft top on craiglist or Ebay, or you can go with an after market top like Bestop or Off Road Heroes.

My first Winter, I didn't use the hard top. This winter I threw it on for the heck of it. Come this spring, I'm gonig to find it a permanent home and use it if I need more security or if I punch a hole in the soft top, otherwise I'll be running the soft top.

Guadzilla 02-14-2012 06:00 AM

$800 bucks over the length of a car loan is nothing, especially considering the price of a hard top after the fact. Get the dual top option. I'm in NY so I definitely prefer the hard top in the winter. I guess it's personal preference but you may regret not having the hard top at some point. Even without a hoist the hard top comes on and off easily with two people. 15 minutes and a few bolts to switch them out.

Arcticshaun 02-14-2012 06:59 AM

I got both. It came with hard to then found a new in box and wrapper soft top on Craigslist for 400. So now I have both. The dealer wanted 1800 for complete soft top.

Tdog02 02-14-2012 07:48 AM

Might really help to get both if you sell later. Otherwise the soft top is the bomb!

Considerations: do you have covered parking? Does it get over 90 much where you are? Are you or the significant other worried about perfect hair? (ha ha ha)

tampaukfan 02-14-2012 08:50 AM

Go with the softtop.. winters in Atlanta are not that bad so a hard top wont get much use.
To me the besides offroading, the fun of owning a Jeep is taking the top off.
If I wanted a just a hardtop Id have bought a truck.

bflank 02-15-2012 10:46 AM

I am in Atlanta also & got the dual top option. We went through the last 18 months or better with the soft top on, so the hard top is not essential here. BUT if you are going to spend a lot of time on the road, the hard top is a lot quieter and provides at least some additional security.

It all comes down to what you like and when you want to pay for it. If you think you will want both tops, I'd just go ahead with the dual top option.

Sgt.slaughter 02-15-2012 10:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Guadzilla
$800 bucks over the length of a car loan is nothing, especially considering the price of a hard top after the fact. Get the dual top option. I'm in NY so I definitely prefer the hard top in the winter. I guess it's personal preference but you may regret not having the hard top at some point. Even without a hoist the hard top comes on and off easily with two people. 15 minutes and a few bolts to switch them out.

I agree with this. I got the dual top and glad I did! I also live in NY and switch them out. The hard top is not hard to take off and very lite. I'm a female and unscrewed everything and was able to lift it off on my back. Because its a 4 door its a little big so I had my hubby help me carry it away. I leave the softop on the jeep in the winter I just store the windows. I have it rolled up on its original mount. The only thing I don't like about this is groceries are hard to get in and out. GO WITH DUAL PACKAGE!

daggo66 02-15-2012 11:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sgt.slaughter (Post 2033649)
I agree with this. I got the dual top and glad I did! I also live in NY and switch them out. The hard top is not hard to take off and very lite. I'm a female and unscrewed everything and was able to lift it off on my back. Because its a 4 door its a little big so I had my hubby help me carry it away. I leave the softop on the jeep in the winter I just store the windows. I have it rolled up on its original mount. The only thing I don't like about this is groceries are hard to get in and out. GO WITH DUAL PACKAGE!

You need to completely remove the soft top when the hard top is installed. It's clearly stated in your owner's manual that it can cause damage to the top. Dual top just means you get one of each, not that both are on at the same time. You are also robbing yourself of valuable storage space as you've realized.

Sgt.slaughter 02-15-2012 11:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by daggo66

You need to completely remove the soft top when the hard top is installed. It's clearly stated in your owner's manual that it can cause damage to the top. Dual top just means you get one of each, not that both are on at the same time. You are also robbing yourself of valuable storage space as you've realized.

Ow- n-ers man-ual. what's that? Just kidding. I stupidly listened to my salesman who I've been learning as I go along knows NOTHING about wranglers! Darn it! I hope it doesn't do anything to it and I get through it back there with 2 more months.

daggo66 02-15-2012 11:29 AM

The big orange warning stickers that were on the soft top when you bought it might have been the first hint, just saying. :popcorn:

Sgt.slaughter 02-15-2012 01:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by daggo66
The big orange warning stickers that were on the soft top when you bought it might have been the first hint, just saying. :popcorn:

Do not know of which you speak. The dealer set everything up for me. But at least I know now! That's why I love it here!

real4x4 02-15-2012 01:41 PM

Buy with hard top and get an aftermarket soft top. (I have the Trektop NX as well)

The hard top has more features like real glass and rear windshield wiper and defrost. I think it is better to get that from the start.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:23 AM.