Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   JK General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/)
-   -   Cold Air Intake (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/cold-air-intake-139708.html)

pocketrocket 02-14-2012 05:15 PM

Cold Air Intake

I have a 2011 Jeep Wrangler 3.8L I'm thinking about putting a K&N Air intake on my Jeep because my mileage is around 14 mpg will this help? And do I also need to put a throttle body spacer on my Jeep. Thanks for any ideas or suggestions on this.

Eaglektd 02-14-2012 05:19 PM

A CAI will increase the amount of air your engine can suck, prompting the computer to adjust your fuel injectors to dump more into the cylinders to compensate and keep the air/fuel ratio consistant. Your MPG will most likely stay the same or they will go down depending on how you drive. Drive more conservatively and you MPG will go up, or realize you own a wrangler and they aren't built for good fuel economy:angel:

welcome to the forum, don't forget to wave

New2012JEEP 02-14-2012 08:52 PM

In theory it will help MPG, I wouldn't expect anything terribly noticeable. Some will argue not worth it due to particulates.

On a personal note, I have never experienced worse MPG or performance adding one on other vehicles.

pdubois64 02-14-2012 08:57 PM

The only way to get better mileage is to buy a 2012. I sold my 09 because it was a gutless gas pig. Picking up my 12 tomorrow, I hope it's better. I wouldn't waste money on a CAI for a V6.

daggo66 02-14-2012 09:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pdubois64 (Post 2031874)
The only way to get better mileage is to buy a 2012. I sold my 09 because it was a gutless gas pig. Picking up my 12 tomorrow, I hope it's better. I wouldn't waste money on a CAI for a V6.

Real world reports show the 3.6 isn't much better. Certainly not worth the trade for mpg alone. If you want better mileage out of a Jeep you hsave to improve your driving habits plain and simple.

New2012JEEP 02-14-2012 09:06 PM

Well, he did say hope, lol.

kjeeper10 02-14-2012 09:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by New2012JEEP
Well, he did say hope, lol.

:thumb:

Had one for a short time. No noticeable gains in mileage. Sold it :)

pdubois64 02-14-2012 10:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by daggo66 (Post 2031913)
Real world reports show the 3.6 isn't much better. Certainly not worth the trade for mpg alone. If you want better mileage out of a Jeep you hsave to improve your driving habits plain and simple.

Well I have a SRT8 GC so I'm sure it will be better than that:), I hope, but at least it hauls ass for the cost (smiles per gallon).

I got rid of the 09 JK a little over a year ago, but I need something to tow a light trailer with, so I'm back. The extra ~80 HP should be better/worth it, I hope.

But back on topic, don't waste $ on a CAI, and certainly not on a TBS (Snake Oil).

pdubois64 02-14-2012 11:11 PM

I kept track of my mileage on the 3.8 for 20K miles and had an average of 15.4 MPG (calculated not EVIC), 50/50 mix city/hwy.

I think (hope, but don't really care) that the extra HP of the 3.6 will get better mileage because you don't need to floor it to get it to move. I'll give my real world report when I get some data.

pdubois64 02-14-2012 11:49 PM

Quote:

The 3.6L runs like a champ and gets better MPG than expected. ~21mpg avg.
From another thread. So what are you guys seeing? (Sorry to hijack your thread OP) just looking for some real world numbers.

kjeeper10 02-15-2012 07:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pdubois64

From another thread. So what are you guys seeing? (Sorry to hijack your thread OP) just looking for some real world numbers.

Sport manual w/ 3.21's and 29" tires all highway..... Just a guess :D

pocketrocket 02-15-2012 05:23 PM

Thanks for the INFO still deciding what I'm going to do.:thumb:

phottomatt 02-15-2012 06:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pocketrocket
I have a 2011 Jeep Wrangler 3.8L I'm thinking about putting a K&N Air intake on my Jeep because my mileage is around 14 mpg will this help? And do I also need to put a throttle body spacer on my Jeep. Thanks for any ideas or suggestions on this.

No and No, I've got the aFe CAI it doesn't help, sounds cool when you stomp on it tho. :thumb:

MTH 02-15-2012 06:39 PM

CAIs and throttle body spacers are useless. If you want more power out of your Jeep you need to regear it, especially if it's an auto. If it's a manual, you're probably shifting while your RPMs are too low.

jgaley69 02-15-2012 07:08 PM

It can make a diffrence, throtlle spacer would make it have a little more power. I'd look into rustys for throtlle spacer, but as said driving habits. It make a great deal of diffrence, I can get 19 not via computer wife get 17.5 via computer

Yella 02-15-2012 08:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MTH (Post 2035501)
CAIs and throttle body spacers are useless. If you want more power out of your Jeep you need to regear it, especially if it's an auto.
If it's a manual, you're probably shifting while your RPMs are too low.

BINGO!
Get those RPMs up to 4000+ in the first two gears and that baby will run good. You don't have to race it to get there, just slow and steady climb. Slow your top end speed down about 5mph for a couple weeks then calculate. I bet you see an improvment. It takes the right attitude to drive a jeep, I've learned.

CAI? I got one. It was one of the first mods I did. If I had it to do over I would not have done it. I got one due to previous experience with a Super Duty Power Stroke Diesel. It just don't have the same effect on the van engine. It does have a little bit of ear candy effect so I will leave it under the hood.