Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   Off-Topic (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f6/)
-   -   I'm an OLD Fart (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f6/im-an-old-fart-13971.html)

Dare2BSquare 12-12-2007 03:17 PM

I'm an OLD Fart

See...

My Mom used to cut chicken, chop eggs and spread mayo on the same cutting board with the same knife and no bleach, but we didn't seem to get food poisoning.

My Mom used to defrost hamburger on the counter AND I used to eat raw potatoes sometimes, too. Our school sandwiches were wrapped in wax paper in a brown paper bag, not in icepack coolers, but I can't remember getting e.coli .

Almost all of us would have rather gone swimming in the lake instead of a pristine pool (talk about boring).

The term cell phone would have conjured up a phone in a jail cell, and a pager was the school PA system.

We all took gym, not PE.. and risked permanent injury with a pair of high top Ked's (only worn in gym) instead of having cross-training athletic shoes with air cushion soles and built in light reflectors. I can't recall any injuries but they must have happened because they tell us how much safer we are now.

Flunking gym was not an option... even for stupid kids! I guess PE must be much harder than gym.

Speaking of school, we all said prayers and sang the national anthem, and staying in detention after school caught all sorts of negative attention.

We must have had horribly damaged psyches. What an archaic health system we had then. Remember school nurses? Ours wore a hat and everything.

I thought that I was supposed to accomplish something before I was allowed to be proud of myself.

I just can't recall how bored we were without computers, Play Station, Nintendo, X-box or 270 digital TV cable stations.

We actually had to get up and walk over to the TV to change the channels. And it was really cool when color TV's came out. (The picture, not the cabinet)

Oh yeah... and where was the Benadryl and sterilization kit when I got that bee sting? I could have been killed!

We played 'king of the hill' on piles of gravel left on vacant construction sites, and when we got hurt, Mom pulled out the 48-cent bottle of Mercurochrome (kids liked it better because it didn't sting like iodine did) and then we got our butt spanked.

Now it's a trip to the emergency room, followed by a 10-day dose of a $49 bottle of antibiotics, and then Mom calls the attorney to sue the contractor for leaving a horribly vicious pile of gravel where it was such a threat.

We didn't act up at the neighbor's house either because if we did, we got our butt spanked there and then we got our butt spanked again when we got home.

I recall my buddy from next door coming over and doing his tricks on the front stoop, just before he fell off. Little did his Mom know that she could have owned our house. Instead, she picked him up and swatted him for being such a goof. It was a neighborhood run amuck.

To top it off, not a single person I knew had ever been told that they were from a dysfunctional family. How could we possibly have known that?

We needed to get into group therapy and anger management classes? We were obviously so duped by so many societal ills, that we didn't even notice that the entire country wasn't taking Prozac! How did we ever survive?

LOVE TO ALL OF US WHO SHARED THIS ERA, AND TO ALL WHO DIDN'T- SORRY FOR WHAT YOU MISSED. I WOULDN'T TRADE IT FOR ANYTHING!

02Prove 12-12-2007 03:20 PM

Braavo!!!

OdhinnsChick 12-12-2007 03:21 PM

I make my own bread. Does that count? =P

debruins 12-12-2007 03:35 PM

what mufbhsfbfbitibeehenbd that u put in cuts?

Dare2BSquare 12-12-2007 03:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OdhinnsChick (Post 170561)
I make my own bread. Does that count? =P

Not if you use one of those "bread machines"!!!:rolleyes:

My dad always kept a cow to milk and mom churned butter from the whole milk. That milk always had about an inch layer of cream on top. You had to shake it up real good before you could drink it. No Pasteurizing or Homogenizing. The milk I drink these days is like water compared to that!
We raised a calf every year to butcher.

1BLKJP 12-12-2007 03:57 PM

I was growing up at the tail end of the good times. Mom worried about us getting abducted, but still let us wander the hood until the street lights came on. :D

We used to sneak out of the house and go swim in peoples pools at night with girls. Got caught one night and had to hop some fences to get away. Buddy of mine slipped and broke his elbow on the fence. Little did we know we could've been millionaires right now if we'd have told someone about it. :D

tazmann910 12-12-2007 04:07 PM

I grew up around the same time. I would get beat by the other parents. Also we played in construction sites all the time, it was a great place to ride our bikes. And if you were not home by the time the street lights came on...look out..

I really get upset at how messed up society is now. I am still trying to raise my kids the way my parents did. I do not beleive in ADD, I just think a kid could use the proper persuasion every once in a while.

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1BLKJP (Post 170571)
I was growing up at the tail end of the good times. Mom worried about us getting abducted, but still let us wander the hood until the street lights came on. :D

We used to sneak out of the house and go swim in peoples pools at night with girls. Got caught one night and had to hop some fences to get away. Buddy of mine slipped and broke his elbow on the fence. Little did we know we could've been millionaires right now if we'd have told someone about it. :D

Dare2BSquare 12-12-2007 04:08 PM

Here's a shocker. We all used to eat our meals around the table in the dining room. Together.

ms04sahara 12-12-2007 04:15 PM

how true, how true....my my how times have changed.

debruins 12-12-2007 04:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dare2BSquare (Post 170580)
Here's a shocker. We all used to eat our meals around the table in the dining room. Together.

hey we still do that

sgnellett 12-12-2007 05:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by debruins (Post 170566)
what mufbhsfbfbitibeehenbd that u put in cuts?

mercurochrome - noun
a mercurial compound applied topically as an antiseptic; Mercurochrome is the trademark

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/Mercurochrome

http://i135.photobucket.com/albums/q...tt/moron-5.jpg

rketr 12-12-2007 05:31 PM

Quote:

And they were COOKED...at home! Not microwaved or picked up from a fast food place.

Tis sad indeed how everything has changed over the last couple of decades...:(

tet1070 12-12-2007 08:15 PM

Those were the good days when the parents raised their children, not the schools, the police, and the goverment. NOSTALGIA, makes you all warm inside ( as you are thinking how old you are). Like the old guys used to say ==== I remember when...........

Dare2BSquare 12-12-2007 10:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rketr (Post 170631)
And they were COOKED...at home! Not microwaved or picked up from a fast food place.

My family had steak every Sunday for lunch. My buddy's mom always cooked up fried chicken for Sunday lunch. We rotated between our houses every Sunday.

Sunday nights were greasy skillet fried hamburgers on TV trays in the den, so we could all watch Bonanza.

jjseel 12-12-2007 11:21 PM

Loren Greene Rocked!

BTW, yes, you ARE an old Fart! (Did y'all ever have whole neighborhood hide and seeks?)

Dare2BSquare 12-13-2007 06:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jjseel (Post 170914)
BTW, yes, you ARE an old Fart!

I'll just tell you what I tell the young kids at work...."I may be old, but I can still kick your @** if I need to."

activelydying 12-13-2007 12:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jjseel (Post 170914)
(Did y'all ever have whole neighborhood hide and seeks?)

Yes sir. :)

Does anyone know if they even made knee and elbow pads or shin guards or in any case helmets then?

tazmann910 12-13-2007 12:50 PM

They did, but they were only for football players.

Parents would not even think about spending that kind of money on that kind of stuff.

Quote:

Originally Posted by activelydying (Post 171078)
Yes sir. :)

Does anyone know if they even made knee and elbow pads or shin guards or in any case helmets then?

MOz 12-13-2007 12:56 PM

Quote:

I insist we all eat dinner together and we practice this at least 6 of the 7 days. The way I understand it, that is the # 1 contribution to keeping families together today and keeping the kids focused on family values.

I do not think much has really changed since I was a kid. Of course there are a lot of new things to distract us in our daily lives. The violence, drugs,n divorce, etc are all still here.

I don't beat the crap out of my kids like my parents and teachers did to me. If a teacher lays a finger on one of my kids, I can assure you they would wish they never met me. That's a good evolution in my book. I still reserve the right to discipline my child in public or private and nobody bothers me. I have no reservations disciplining my children and I really do not need to either. I spend a lot of time with them and make them understand the accountability, the punsihment and the rewards of behavior.

The big difference from then to now is that child abuse laws are enforced now.... they weren't then. If I had a dollar everytime some teacher dragged me by the hair or the ear for something stupid I did, I would be semi-retired. This abuse from these "role models" did not inspire any feelings for these people. If anything, I disliked them more for it.

The other big change is day care. Day care when I was a kid was grandma or your older sister watching you. Mom stayed home to raise the kids. Today, more and more families want the big house so they need two jobs for the mortgage. They don't realize what effect this has on their kids when they are not home till 6:00 PM.

My wife stays home till my daughter is in all day kindergarden.... no day care = no issues. People blame everything on the teacher, the schoools and the care givers but where is their responsibility as parents to parent their children? If you are not going to invest the time to raise your children, then in my opinion, you do not have the right to bitch or bring children into this world and burden society to raise and later instutionalize them.

I believe it comes down to proven - traditional values.

OdhinnsChick 12-13-2007 05:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dare2BSquare (Post 170568)
Not if you use one of those "bread machines"!!!:rolleyes:

My dad always kept a cow to milk and mom churned butter from the whole milk. That milk always had about an inch layer of cream on top. You had to shake it up real good before you could drink it. No Pasteurizing or Homogenizing. The milk I drink these days is like water compared to that!
We raised a calf every year to butcher.

Hell no, I do it myself. Makes the arms strong. :D I've been begging Odhinn to let me get some goats and chickens so I can make cheese and have fresh eggs. I grew up in the country and really miss that lifestyle. My dad and uncle used to butcher 2 hogs every year. I hate living in the city, you don't have much freedom there, just lots of places to spend all your money. :rolleyes:

Dare2BSquare 12-13-2007 10:02 PM

My niece is getting married on the 29th. We have two 250 lb hogs, one of which will be giving her a nice wedding present.

OdhinnsChick 12-14-2007 12:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dare2BSquare (Post 171465)
My niece is getting married on the 29th. We have two 250 lb hogs, one of which will be giving her a nice wedding present.

lol yup, that's country right there. :D

Scotty355 12-14-2007 12:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dare2BSquare (Post 171465)
We have two 250 lb hogs, one of which will be giving her a nice wedding present.

Do I smell bacon?

kg4kpg 12-14-2007 12:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sgnellett (Post 170628)
mercurochrome - noun
a mercurial compound applied topically as an antiseptic; Mercurochrome is the trademark

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/Mercurochrome

http://i135.photobucket.com/albums/q...tt/moron-5.jpg

I always remember this as METHYOLATE, or better remembered as liquid fire. :D

MouthfulOfGrass 12-14-2007 12:36 PM

Merthiolate, and mercurochrome are different, as is iodine.

My dad liked good ol' rubbing alcohol in the wound. If we were lucky, we could whine enough and mom would use hydrogen peroxide instead. You got to watch the little bubbles fizz, while it stung.

MouthfulOfGrass 12-14-2007 12:54 PM

Merthiolate is a mercury-containing substance that was once widely used as germ-killer and a preservative in many different products, including vaccines.

Merbromin (marketed as Mercurochrome, Merbromine, Sodium mercurescein, Asceptichrome, Supercrome and Cinfacromin) is a topical antiseptic used for minor cuts and scrapes. It is no longer sold in the USA because of its mercury content. Merbromin is an organomercuric disodium salt compound and a fluorescein.

An example of Mercurochrome
[edit] Uses
Merbromin's best-known use is as a topical antiseptic, however it, along with Merthiolate, has been ruled ineffective by the FDA, and is no longer approved. When applied on a wound, the dark red colour stains the skin, making the detection of any erythema or inflammation, indicative of infection, more difficult. Merbromin is also used as a biological dye used to mark tissue margins, and as a metal dye in industrial dye penetrant inspection to detect metal fractures.

[edit] Mercurochrome & Tinctures
Mercurochrome is the trade name of merbromin and (usually) of merbromin tinctures made of merbromin and alcohol or water (usually 2% merbromin to 98% alcohol or water).

Iodine:
Usually used in an alcoholic solution (called tincture of iodine) or as Lugol's iodine solution as a pre and post-operative antiseptic. No longer recommended to disinfect minor wounds because it induces scar tissue formation and increases healing time. Gentle washing with mild soap and water or rinsing a scrape with sterile saline is a better practice. Novel iodine antiseptics containing povidone-iodine (an iodophor, complex of povidone, a water-soluble polymer, with triiodide anions I3-, containing about 10% of active iodine) are far better tolerated, don't affect wound healing negativelly and leave a depot of active iodine, creating the so-called "remanent," or persistent, effect. The great advantage of iodine antiseptics is the widest scope of antimicrobial activity, killing all principial pathogenes and given enough time even spores, which are considered to be the most difficult form of microorganisms to be inactivated by disinfectants and antiseptics.

Hydrogen Peroxide:
Used as a 6% (20Vols) solution to clean and deodorize wounds and ulcers. More common 1% or 2% solutions of hydrogen peroxide have been used in household first aid for scrapes, etc. However, even this less potent form is no longer recommended for typical wound care as the strong oxidization causes scar formation and increases healing time. Gentle washing with mild soap and water or rinsing a scrape with sterile saline is a better practice.

Alcohol:
Bourbon, makes you feel better. Helps kids sleep after a "boo-boo"

Dare2BSquare 12-14-2007 12:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OdhinnsChick (Post 171742)
lol yup, that's country right there. :D

Well, what I meant was we're gonna roast it and eat it at the wedding! :D

The best use for merthiolate was to put on the thumb of a kid who had a tendancy to suck their thumb. It was like sticking nasty tasting tobasco in your mouth.

MouthfulOfGrass 12-14-2007 12:56 PM

Of course you did.

kg4kpg 12-14-2007 12:57 PM

It still burned like hell! :D

Lot of good info. I wasn't aware Hydrogen Peroxide caused wounds to scar.

MouthfulOfGrass 12-14-2007 01:21 PM

I wasn't either. Thanks to Wikipedia for the info.

Now I have an explanation for my kids that I HAVE to use alcohol, peroxide makes scars....(good thing their mother loves them, she buys Bactine).