Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   YJ Tech Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f218/)
-   -   newbie top questions (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f218/newbie-top-questions-139729.html)

bakerboys 02-14-2012 08:02 PM

newbie top questions
 
just got my first wrangler

it has a hard top and full steel doors
I want a soft top instead could some one tell me how softops work
If I buy one do I need new doors to
with soft top down is there all the framing still showing
and dont understand the choice off doors full half fabric door

any info is great

bakerboys 02-14-2012 08:03 PM

thanks alot

BT 02-14-2012 08:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bakerboys (Post 2031147)
just got my first wrangler

it has a hard top and full steel doors
I want a soft top instead could some one tell me how softops work
If I buy one do I need new doors to
with soft top down is there all the framing still showing
and dont understand the choice off doors full half fabric door

any info is great

How it works? like putting it up and taking it down?

The framing goes down with the top and is secured to the body.

Half fabric is a steel half door with a fabric top half of the door. This is the set up I see the most.

Full fabric doors are all fabric. separated in the middle much like the half steel door.

Tarby 02-14-2012 08:27 PM

Buy a Bestop Supertop with full hardware and designed for full doors (yj model). It is complete and you can still use your full doors, or take them off. You can get other doors if you like, but they are not necessary...unless you want them...

Nas.a7x 02-14-2012 08:27 PM

If u got full doors go with a softtoper it works with full doors comes with all the hardware and is a frameless top its made of sailcloth material so it is a lot more quiet then a regular soft top

Attachment 97274



Attachment 97275



Attachment 97276

jfbilbro 02-14-2012 08:37 PM

quadratec also has a softtop kit that comes with all mounting hardware AND 2 piece doors....that's what i'm getting for my YJ that has a hard top and full steel doors.....that way, i can use the 2 piece soft top doors with the bikini and tonneau cover kit, too....

bakerboys 02-14-2012 08:38 PM

softtoper has no frames

bakerboys 02-14-2012 08:41 PM

so if you get full soft doors can you open the windows are full metal doors that I have better

also how much should I ask for if I want to sell my hard top

Nas.a7x 02-14-2012 08:43 PM

Nope no frame it uses the roll bar as its frame. So no frame 2 mess with when you want take the top of and you can take just the windows out and use it as a safari top, I love my top and recomend it I paid $560 shipped with tinted windows..

bakerboys 02-14-2012 08:48 PM

hey NAS.A7X you like that top it looks a little different than standard soft top

bakerboys 02-14-2012 08:49 PM

ok i like that

jfbilbro 02-14-2012 08:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bakerboys (Post 2031336)
softtoper has no frames

Won't work onna 91.....they have the sport roll bar instead of the family style...dammit....i'd love to have the frameless, but nobody makes one yet:nonono:

Nas.a7x 02-14-2012 08:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bakerboys
so if you get full soft doors can you open the windows are full metal doors that I have better

also how much should I ask for if I want to sell my hard top

The full steel door are def better they work the best with the softtoper

Nas.a7x 02-14-2012 08:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jfbilbro
Won't work onna 91.....they have the sport roll bar instead of the family style...dammit....i'd love to have the frameless, but nobody makes one yet:nonono:

If you can get a family bar it will swap directly into a 91

Kernal Clink 02-14-2012 09:10 PM

It really all depends on what YOU want. The hard top and full doors are nice in the winter. If it were me I'd keep them and buy a soft top and hardware to use when you wanted it. Soft doors, and half doors are an option as well. All this stuff kinda works together so you can just buy what you want or need a little at a time.

When I was Jeep shopping one of the things I looked for specificaly was half doors. The top was secondary to me just because I like the look of the half doors. Eventually I will have all 3 door sets and both tops but I bought what I wanted most first.

And to answer your question on the soft doors, YES you can open the windows. They have zippers that you can unzip and fold the window in and down. The rear windows in the soft tops are the same way except you roll the rear window up and secure it with two straps attached to the top.

If you do decide to sell the hard top, I'd like to throw my name in the hat for first shot at it.

...and since we're shamelessly showing our rigs in this thread....
http://i70.photobucket.com/albums/i8...208_180455.jpg

jfbilbro 02-14-2012 09:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nas.a7x (Post 2031483)
If you can get a family bar it will swap directly into a 91

i've been giving some thought to that option....but by the time i pay for the bar, pay your quoted price for the top, then buy half doors and uppers, i'm not sure it's worth it when i can buy the bestop kit for around 850.00...

Nas.a7x 02-14-2012 09:16 PM

If you have full doors the top works with those

bakerboys 02-14-2012 09:25 PM

How do you open windows on half doors

Man. There are to many options for.jeeps

jfbilbro 02-14-2012 09:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nas.a7x (Post 2031599)
If you have full doors the top works with those

true...but i want half doors for the summer with the soft top....or for when i go topless.....don't wanna lose no drunk friends, ya know?....

jfbilbro 02-14-2012 09:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kernal Clink (Post 2031557)
It really all depends on what YOU want. The hard top and full doors are nice in the winter. If it were me I'd keep them and buy a soft top and hardware to use when you wanted it. Soft doors, and half doors are an option as well. All this stuff kinda works together so you can just buy what you want or need a little at a time.

When I was Jeep shopping one of the things I looked for specificaly was half doors. The top was secondary to me just because I like the look of the half doors. Eventually I will have all 3 door sets and both tops but I bought what I wanted most first.

If you do decide to sell the hard top, I'd like to throw my name in the hat for first shot at it.

...and since we're shamelessly showing our rigs in this thread....
http://i70.photobucket.com/albums/i8...208_180455.jpg

ummmm, how much you be willing to pay for a hard top in excellent shape and full steel doors?.....

Odie4AZ 02-14-2012 09:28 PM

Wish you were close by.. I want hard top w/full doors and have soft with 1/2....
A swap would of solved both wishes...

Nas.a7x 02-14-2012 09:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bakerboys
How do you open windows on half doors

Man. There are to many options for.jeeps

Depends on what doors you have

jfbilbro 02-14-2012 09:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Odie4AZ (Post 2031686)
Wish you were close by.. I want hard top w/full doors and have soft with 1/2....
A swap would of solved both wishes...

Yeah, i read your post the other night, but i didn't respond because of the separation....

bakerboys 02-14-2012 09:31 PM

Have another question while i am trying to figure out this top thing my wife.wants.some wheels so. What is.best on a 93 wrangler. 10 or 8. Inch.wide. she.wants 33s

jfbilbro 02-14-2012 09:34 PM

how much lift you got??....prolly gonna need 3 or 4 inches to fit 33's...

Kernal Clink 02-14-2012 09:35 PM

hmmm, not sure. I wasn't really looking at buying doors just yet. Alabama is just a bit far for me to come get them anyway. Thanks though. The OP lives less than 2hrs from me, that's why I brought it up.

Kernal Clink 02-14-2012 09:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jfbilbro (Post 2031720)
how much lift you got??....prolly gonna need 3 or 4 inches to fit 33's...

I have 33's with no lift. No room to flex either, but no lift.:doh:

bakerboys 02-14-2012 10:10 PM

1 inch body but about to buy a 4 inch suspension lift
thinking dick cepek wheels and 33 12.50 15

bakerboys 02-14-2012 10:12 PM

hey kernal whats hard top worth it is black

bakerboys 02-14-2012 10:13 PM

OK so if I buy a standard soft top does it fold down like say a convertable or do you pull it off frame work


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:42 AM.