Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

quadratec winch any good??

53K views 170 replies 75 participants last post by  Jeffreybomb 
#1 ·
At $294 for a 9000 lb winch its pritty hard not to consider it.

#3 ·
It's way to new to really say. You really have to wait a few months for people to start getting it and testing it in all types of conditions before someone can say how it stacks up. But I bet it is just as good as all the other winches in the same price range.

#11 ·
That was well put, thank you.

Says you!:D
Of course! :whistling: :flowers: But seriously, they are pretty good. We have been buying, testing, and modify winches for us to put our name on and sell for almost a year now.

I'm waiting for the quadratech guy to say "they're not made in China ! "

:nonono:
They are made in China, there is no reason to hide or deny that. We spent the time and money to source the highest quality components we could for the winch. We spent the extra money to get stronger internals as well. And to top it off, we offer a warranty that is really only offered by one or two other companies. It's a 1 year electrical warranty teamed with a Limited Lifetime mechanical warranty.

It is not a competition winch, and we won't market it as that. It is for the weekend warrior which is the vast majority of the Jeep community. Some people will love it, other will not. Gotta take the good and the bad together! :thumb:

-Joe

#6 ·
Winch

+1, from a noob perspective the prices are enticing--I have not used or been involved with any of them.
But--I fall back to my personal opinion and some basic hard earned lessons.
Rule #25 if you are going to use it more than 3 times don't buy the cheapest tool you can find.
That is supplemented by rule #30 If you have to depend on it to get you out and you are 600 miles from home and more than 5 miles off a main road--don't buy the cheapest tool you can find.
I may have to amend rule 30--I'm about to medicare and that may have to be2.5 miles:rolleyes:
I went with Warn M8000 for $539 delivered. :thumb:

To me, all the Chinese winches are basically the same and I wouldn't touch any of them. In my personal opinion, the Chinese aren't known for worrying about quality once the initial production runs have passed their American buyer's scrutiny.

#7 ·
Jerry Bransford said:
To me, all the Chinese winches are basically the same and I wouldn't touch any of them. In my personal opinion, the Chinese aren't known for worrying about quality once the initial production runs have passed their American buyer's scrutiny.
I'm waiting for the quadratech guy to say "they're not made in China ! "

:nonono:

#9 ·
Dextreme said:
In a different thread, it was already stated they were.

While I am a Warn fan, any $300 winch that works (no matter where its made or who makes it) is better than pushing or walking.
Yea but I would rather push or walk because of no winch rather than doing the same because my winch doesn't work

#68 ·
Yea but I would rather push or walk because of no winch rather than doing the same because my winch doesn't work
So in the event your $900+ Warn winch were to take a dump be it by neglect, or the one in a million mfg defect/part failure that slipped by QC would you say the same thing?

#10 ·
In my opinion.....unless a company goes out of there way to prove they are completely USA made, you can bet that in one way or another they are at least partially made/manufactured/assembled/sourced from somewhere outside the states.

Henry Repeating Arms comes to mind.........
Assembled in Brooklyn with walnut from Missouri and steel from PA and OH. They even machine there own bolts!!!!

I don't think too many companies can say that anymore.

#12 ·
In my opinion.....unless a company goes out of there way to prove they are completely USA made, you can bet that in one way or another they are at least partially made/manufactured/assembled/sourced from somewhere outside the states.

Henry Repeating Arms comes to mind.........
Assembled in Brooklyn with walnut from Missouri and steel from PA and OH. They even machine there own bolts!!!!

I don't think too many companies can say that anymore.
Yeah, but then there "will be those" who will argue that even though those products are 100% US made, they are assembled and manfactured with foriegn made tools and machines. :facepalm:

Another spin on this...we are also very lucky that our Jeep sport/hobby has so many options and products to choose from. Seeing new products keeps things exciting for us, but it also helps keeps the market competitive. What I mean is....I am happy to not be paying $3000 for a winch because a single company has it patented and has market control.

#13 ·
The real difference is the long run on any winch. Mine has never had a cover on it and goes through the Hell-like temperatures of Eastern NC during the summer then the freezing cold and snow in the Western NC mountains in the winter year after year. Mine is an older Warn very similar to the M8000 and it still works flawlessly any time I need it. Honestly it seems fairly impossible to destroy.

So I guess if anyone who gets the Chinese cheapies holler at us in 10 years and let us know how it's doing. :popcorn:

#16 ·
I would say for the common weekend or every other weekend offroader yeah it should be an awesome winch! But as said above. To soon to say. Just like with everything, the first gen will always have a few issues.

#18 ·
If it's the best product for the price, i don't care where it's made as long as it is of good quality. I've owned Ford, chevy, Nissan, Buick etc. and now Jeep but Made in the USA doesn't mean better product. I'm looking at that same winch to order as soon as i decide which soft top to buy so i can order both together. PS Quadratec, can you offer advice over a frameless or framed soft top. Right now I have a hard top. What else do i need to purchase to put a soft top on?

#19 ·
The preference would really be the choice of the owner since you'll be the one putting it up and down. Either type would not disappoint you, but the frameless top will take a little longer to go up for the first months until it gets fully settled in. The framed top its going to be a simple task going up or down. It'll probably take you longer to remove the windows than it will moving the top itself. The Bestop Trektop's are extremely popular, and the new NX design eliminated a lot of the problems the first units had.

Overall, my personal recommendation would be the Supertop NX. For the general ease and fitment quality. :thumb:

Answer me this, if you can. If I were to buy one and paint it black, would that void the warranty? :D
As long as you don't open the case up and tinker with the gears, you can paint it pink if you wanted. :rofl:

-Joe

#24 ·
Yeah but for it to be US made at $399 what would it have to be made out of to turn a profit?

It's funny how fast these threads turn into a chorus of people chanting USA!

But unfortunatley to buy American, you have to get paid like an American. Quick reality check- most of us don't.

Any time someone posts about a lower cost anything, the second post is usually "save your money, it's no good if it's not expensive"

Okay so I'm exagerating a bit, but if everyone listened to that then how many people would not get to enjoy the hobby if they thought that the products that were in their reach were no good?

That's a lot like saying "Don't bother to learn playing the guitar until you save up your money to buy US made Gibson" Any musicians in the crowd will agree that is a rediculous statement.

Here's another quick thought; if you are on the trail and you need your winch and it doesn't work, well you can't really blame any country of manufacture for not making sure your stuff works before you take it off the highway.

To keep this topical- I think you should buy it. Unless you're going to use it every day to hang your clothes on or build your family a shelter to survive the winter in or fashion a device to trap wild game to feed said family, in that case- save your money. Ha ha.

#26 ·
If you're going to spend $300 for a winch made in China, wouldn't it make more sense to spend $500 and get an American Made, proven, reliable, supported and well established winch like the Warn M8000?

Not saying a $300 winch is necessarily awful or a Chinese winch is necessarily awful.. just saying that I look at a winch like I look at a gun. It only serves one real purpose. It has the potential to save your life (or at least your beloved Jeep). Why skimp on something like that? If you're going to need a winch at all, trust that the winch you have will work.. period. Why find out that the winch you have isn't going to work the way you want it to when you're buried in a way that you can't be extracted otherwise?

#27 ·
umphreysfan said:
Yeah but for it to be US made at $399 what would it have to be made out of to turn a profit?

It's funny how fast these threads turn into a chorus of people chanting USA!

But unfortunatley to buy American, you have to get paid like an American. Quick reality check- most of us don't.

Any time someone posts about a lower cost anything, the second post is usually "save your money, it's no good if it's not.
I agree with you . If it was made in America it would have to be made out if plastic or wood for that price hahah.

But I think your wrong about the
Lower cost thing. Usually with automobile accessories you do get what you pay for. And paying more usually results in a better product. Especially with winches Ehemm..... WARN.

That being said I will probably try it. When my friends 250 got stuck , they wanted 350 to get him out of the hole he buried him self in . So if it works once. It's paid itself off.

#29 ·
Tough call.I think Id rather get the Warn.But I must say Ive had great luck with quadratec's customer service & believe they would back there product 100%.

#30 ·
Answer me this to all those who shout "Made in America". Now I'm very patriotic. I spent 4 years in the Marine Corps and love my country. But I want you to take apart the Jeep and tell me how many of those parts are "made" in the U.S.A? I bet at least 20% of the parts come from over seas.. Also Jeep isnt even American Owned anymore, its own by Fiat. So this American Made stuff isnt what it use to be. Yes, it was put together here in the U.S. But its "Made" in the U.S.

#35 ·
It really depends on what you want or need it for. If, you wheel your Jeep only occasionally, by yourself and you get in a bind, it will pay for itself in a single outing if, it works. I don't like those odds on survival but, I don't wheel alone. Have you gone on trail rides with other off road enthusiasts and see what they are running or how often they need to drag rope? That winch may be all that you need but, you are going to have to settle for slower speeds and several other factors. You will need to stay all over it and check it before every trail ride (normal procedure) and correctly respool after any recoveries.

Quadratec seems to be willing to stand by their product and while I am not their number 1 fan, I would give them a shot at the winch if, it suited my needs.

While I may have missed the reference to the fact that many Warn winches
are made in China, it is true. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise. That doesn't mean that it will be an inferior product. It just means that a good company needs to have someone on site, in China, to keep on their butts about quality control.

Bottom line is that the winch might be all you need depending on your requirements.

#37 ·
I've been thinking about the Quadratec winch. I've been wanting to get a winch I could install without replacing my bumper. This looks like this will fit the bill. I'll wait several months and read up on others experiences with it. Shoot for that price I agree with MD4p if it works once its worth it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.