Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   JK General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/)
-   -   New Member - Side Steps ? (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/new-member-side-steps-139918.html)

harryd 02-15-2012 03:08 PM

New Member - Side Steps ?

New to the forum. Been trolling posts looking for info before purchasing. Found one we liked - 2012 JKU Sport deep cherry red. Had everything we wanted except side steps, which we need to help wife get in. Dealer will add, not sure of cost yet. The Tubular Side Steps option on stickers runs $395. Searched Quadratec and saw several (too many) options. Want something that is functional and looks nice. Should I go with dealer, depending on price and what he offers, or go with after market? Any suggestions? Thanks for advice on Tread Lightly discount.

MTH 02-15-2012 03:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by harryd (Post 2034728)
Had everything we wanted except side steps, which we need to help wife get in. Dealer will add, not sure of cost yet. The Tubular Side Steps option on stickers runs $395. Searched Quadratec and saw several (too many) options. Want something that is functional and looks nice. Should I go with dealer, depending on price and what he offers, or go with after market?

What does "functional" mean to you?

If you merely want a step, then the Mopar ones (either the tubular ones or these traditional side steps) are fine. They are lightweight and principally made of plastic, but have a factory look and will function just fine for their intended use.

On the other hand, if you want a step that actually can in part or in total bear the weight of the Jeep and protect the side against impacts to rocks, trail obstacles, etc. while also functioning as a step, then you need something made of steel, like these. They're going to be much heavier, but will work as both a step and as a heavy duty "bumper" of sorts for the side of your jeep.

If you just want the Mopar ones, I wouldn't pay $400 for them through the dealer. Many replace their Mopar side steps aftermarket with a steel set, so gently used Mopar side steps can be picked up off of Craigslist, eBay, etc. Indeed, I'll be selling mine once my steel sliders from JCR Offroad (these) come in. Hundred bucks plus shipping and they're yours. :thumb:

M5ivan 02-15-2012 03:33 PM

If you want the OEM look go for the Mopar side steps for about $260 shipped online. These are the ones that come standard on the Sahara, and they are an easy install. They are functional as far as getting in/out, but not good for wheeling. My wife needed them as well in order to get in the jeep comfortably.

tabber02 02-15-2012 03:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MTH (Post 2034759)
What does "functional" mean to you?

If you just want the Mopar ones, I wouldn't pay $400 for them through the dealer. Many replace their Mopar side steps aftermarket with a steel set, so gently used Mopar side steps can be picked up off of Craigslist, eBay, etc. Indeed, I'll be selling mine once my steel sliders from JCR Offroad (these) come in. Hundred bucks plus shipping and they're yours. :thumb:

sound advice right there. if you're at all mechanically inclined, it'll take you all of about 30 minutes to throw some Mopar side steps on your new rig. might want to take a minute or so to think and rethink what you want though. a couple extra bucks for some rock rail/side steps might be worth it in the long run if you decide to do any offroading.

-bob :popcorn:

suicideking 02-15-2012 03:58 PM

My wife also wanted a step and I wanted rails, so went with the Ace Rock Rails listed above. They make a great step.

Up Hill Bill 02-15-2012 04:23 PM

^^^ ACE Sliders. Best design, best price, best quality, great little USA company, lifetime guarantee... a real WF favorite!

bbtj 02-16-2012 08:45 AM

I second that.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Up Hill Bill (Post 2035042)
^^^ ACE Sliders. Best design, best price, best quality, great little USA company, lifetime guarantee... a real WF favorite!

Had mine about a year now.

desertgoose 02-16-2012 08:55 AM

IMO, my Ace sliders provide a better step than the tube side steps that I took off.

KrawlOff-Road.com 02-16-2012 09:04 AM

ACE Engineering

Hands down the best and cheapest Sliders on the market. Now, if your looking for something more "advanced" there is more options out there on the market but the ACE's give the best bang for the buck.

-Jason

kik 02-16-2012 09:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by suicideking (Post 2034929)
My wife also wanted a step and I wanted rails, so went with the Ace Rock Rails listed above. They make a great step.

These are nice. Thinking about swapping out my Mopars for these.

Revyjku08 02-16-2012 10:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KrawlOff-Road.com (Post 2037624)
ACE Engineering

Hands down the best and cheapest Sliders on the market. Now, if your looking for something more "advanced" there is more options out there on the market but the ACE's give the best bang for the buck.

-Jason

Jason

Are the ACE Sliders basically a bolt on, no drilling and fit into the same mounting holes as the Mopar side steps?

Looking for a set of rock sliders to replace my side steps but need a good step for my little kids and wife to get into our JKU

desertgoose 02-16-2012 11:14 AM

Here's the install video. Took me an hour by myself using 2 jack stands to hold them while lining the bolts up.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=srlvR...e_gdata_player

KrawlOff-Road.com 02-16-2012 11:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Revyjku08 (Post 2037852)
Jason

Are the ACE Sliders basically a bolt on, no drilling and fit into the same mounting holes as the Mopar side steps?

Looking for a set of rock sliders to replace my side steps but need a good step for my little kids and wife to get into our JKU

Yes. Nothing out of the ordinary. They only thing you have to do is grind a small flat spot on the washers. It is pretty easy my friend! They work great as a step as well!

-Jason

strider_mt2k 02-16-2012 11:44 AM

Another big fan of the Ace Sliders here.

Forum recommended: Wife approved :D

firehawk 02-16-2012 12:52 PM

:dance: hi, i also have a chreey red 2012 jeep, i did order my jeep
with the side step, however u may be able to get your dealer to
split the cost in half, would come out to less than $195, give it a go!
you will enjoy your jeep 100% :):)

Sgt.slaughter 02-16-2012 01:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by suicideking

I had a choice when ordering my jeep and the dealer talked me out of these telling me when it gets snowy they get slippery. I, being a female wears heels and they looked difficult to get in with those so I got the flat style instead but wish I had the pictured ones due to looks! So I went with function or looks in this dept.

Kelsey73 02-16-2012 02:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by strider_mt2k (Post 2038238)
Another big fan of the Ace Sliders here.

Forum recommended: Wife approved :D

Another vote for ACE. I replaced the stock sahara steps with ACE sliders and Rubi rock rails. much better! :thumb:

desertgoose 02-16-2012 02:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sgt.slaughter

I had a choice when ordering my jeep and the dealer talked me out of these telling me when it gets snowy they get slippery. I, being a female wears heels and they looked difficult to get in with those so I got the flat style instead but wish I had the pictured ones due to looks! So I went with function or looks in this dept.

There's where you messed up. Never ask a dealer about a jeep. Ask someone who actually drives and works on jeeps. I bet they never used these sliders to get in a jeep when it was snowing. The steps I took off with the flat plastic pad were worse than the sliders for traction when wet. Can't answer about snow as I haven't seen any since last year.

KrawlOff-Road.com 02-16-2012 02:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sgt.slaughter (Post 2038618)

Take them off before you get hurt! Those things and get slick in the snow. The ACE sliders do not have that issue. Even better if you put some 3M grip tape on them. Then, they are great!

-Jason

desertgoose 02-16-2012 02:29 PM

Lol, I saw that recommendation about the grip tape so I bought some before I installed my sliders. Turns out I didn't need it so on the shelf it went with other 'extras' that I may or may not need someday.

OIIIIOersCreepers 02-16-2012 02:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KrawlOff-Road.com (Post 2038739)
Take them off before you get hurt! Those things and get slick in the snow. The ACE sliders do not have that issue. Even better if you put some 3M grip tape on them. Then, they are great!

-Jason

ditto that:thumb:

1CrzyCelt 02-16-2012 02:54 PM

I agree ACE's rock sliders look great. But so do many others, like:

Amazon.com: Rampage 88732 Textured finish SRS Side Bar Retractable Rockslider Step - Set of 2: Automotive

OR if you're looking for a more refined, step look:

http://www.amazon.com/Rampage-86741-...7&sr=8-1-fkmr3

You will probably go back and forth for quite some time on what you want. Its taken me almost 2 months just to decide on what tires I want. This is actually a common thing since there ARE soo many options. Good luck and welcome to the addiction. Anything else we can enable you with, let us know. :wavey:

Sgt.slaughter 02-16-2012 03:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by desertgoose

There's where you messed up. Never ask a dealer about a jeep. Ask someone who actually drives and works on jeeps. I bet they never used these sliders to get in a jeep when it was snowing. The steps I took off with the flat plastic pad were worse than the sliders for traction when wet. Can't answer about snow as I haven't seen any since last year.

I obviously messed up on a lot of things. I admire the people who come here first and do their homework. I've always been a bit of a Veruca Salt if I want it I get it and get it yesterday. I have learned a lot from this experience and will be ready next time I go in for my next Jeep.

stevethepirate 02-22-2012 09:53 AM

I am looking into getting rails with a step the only problem is that I am getting the step for my son so he can climb in by himself. I have been considering just getting steps and waiting until my son is older and hopefully taller to get some sliders. Any suggestions on any bolt ons or customs fabs I could do?

JKatfish 02-22-2012 10:04 AM

I ordered the Ace, good price from Krawl Off, great reviews on Forum, easy install, looks good, functional....didn't want to overanalyze everything, so went with the Ace...can't go wrong....

suicideking 02-22-2012 10:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stevethepirate (Post 2061233)
I am looking into getting rails with a step the only problem is that I am getting the step for my son so he can climb in by himself. I have been considering just getting steps and waiting until my son is older and hopefully taller to get some sliders. Any suggestions on any bolt ons or customs fabs I could do?

Look at my pic in post #5. The Ace rails can be used as a step. That's why I got them, they serve both purposes. :thumb:

MTH 02-22-2012 10:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stevethepirate (Post 2061233)

I can't quite tell what you mean, but I do know that there are lots of steel rails that work as steps. Ace, Smittybilt, and Rugged Ridge among others all offer the tubular style steel step/rails, and others offer even heavier duty stuff that includes full tub armor like JCROffroad, Poison Spyder, River Raider, etc. There is no shortage of options. :thumb:

stevethepirate 02-22-2012 10:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MTH

I can't quite tell what you mean, but I do know that there are lots of steel rails that work as steps. Ace, Smittybilt, and Rugged Ridge among others all offer the tubular style steel step/rails, and others offer even heavier duty stuff that includes full tub armor like JCROffroad, Poison Spyder, River Raider, etc. There is no shortage of options. :thumb:

Sorry I wasn't clear. I have a 2009 JKU with a 3" lift and a 6 year old son. I am not a fan of steps but am needing them for my son and wife. I am also looking at rock sliders I just am not sure the little step that can be put on these will be low enough for my son to climb in. I am also on a budget.

stevethepirate 02-22-2012 10:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by suicideking

Look at my pic in post #5. The Ace rails can be used as a step. That's why I got them, they serve both purposes. :thumb:

Would these help a short 6 year old enough to climb into a JKU lifted 3" with 32" tires. That's my only concern that it doesn't go low enough.

suicideking 02-22-2012 10:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stevethepirate (Post 2061362)
Would these help a short 6 year old enough to climb into a JKU lifted 3" with 32" tires. That's my only concern that it doesn't go low enough.

They bolt on in the same location as the steps and hang below the Rubi rails if you have them. The only thing you might want to do is add some 3M grip tape because I've read they can be slippery when wet.