Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   YJ Tech Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f218/)
-   -   89 Wrangler Clutch (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f218/89-wrangler-clutch-14013.html)

82shortbox 12-13-2007 06:31 PM

89 Wrangler Clutch

Jeep has been running good since I bought it this spring. Minor little things, but it sat for about five years. Put 3000 miles on it this summer. Went to use it the other day and the trans would not shift, I know its got the junk pugot trans! Checked the clutch resivoir and it was low, could barely see it just in the bottom. Filled it and it seem to work normal. Tryed it to nite and would not shift, pumped the clutch pedal and it seemed to work again. Never have seen any fluid under it when parked, and it hasn't gone down since I filled it. I know brake fluid doesn't evaporate, but I never checked it since I got it. Don't really want to pull a trans this winter, must be a leak in the lines or at the throwout bearing. Is there any bleeders on the clutch like brakes? I'll probably pull it apart this spring and change the clutch to resevoir line and check the bearing. Too cold to be working on jeeps in a unheated barn. Thanks Gordie

chezuki 12-13-2007 06:35 PM

bleed the slave cylinder.

jeeperscreapers 12-15-2007 09:27 AM

Go from under the jeep where the bleader valve is comin' out of the slave. Hook up a mighty vac or sim. vac pump and force blead it backwards up to the master. Its just like a pressure bleading at a shop but w/out the fancy ($$$$) bleader that they have w/ all the adapters and bladders. I had mine done at a shop and it lasted 2 days. Then I discovered this method and its been good for years now. U'll hafta keep sucking out of the master unless u want a puddle on the barn floor. I found it easier to do it with the shift boot removed and then working from inside the JEEP. I know AutoZone will lend theses vac pumps out, I just dropped the 30 bones and have one in my barn now!

crickifur 12-17-2007 10:02 AM

Man, I just had this same problem. The slave cylinder is leaking. I could fill mine up and it would be empty after an hour of driving. You wont necessarily see the fluid (I DIDNT) due to the fact that the fluid is thrown around the inside of the bell housing and it just sticks to it. When I changed my clutch, it was a mess! I actually ended up changing everything including the master cylinder cause I found that to be leaking as well. The problem is solved now though!

jeeperscreapers 12-20-2007 08:38 AM

That involves removing the tranny... that involves removing drive shafts, skidplate bolts breaking, swearing and reasembly!

82shortbox 12-20-2007 08:32 PM

Maybe it will last till spring, hasn't gone down since I filled it. Works good so far. Don't know if the origional owner had ever checked it. Going to install the 3.5 inch lift springs I bought off Great Lakes 4x4 this spring so maybe take a closer look at the trans at that time.