Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   General Jeep Discussion (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f19/)
-   -   Automatic or Manual Transmission (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f19/automatic-or-manual-transmission-14057.html)

scotiez 12-15-2007 10:05 AM

Automatic or Manual Transmission

I would just like to find out what most people prefer, Automatic or Manual transmissions. Please vote.

woody_k 12-15-2007 10:11 AM

Automatic. Here in So Cal you will end up in stop and go traffic. Playing the clutch in and out is a huge pain. I had a truck with a manual trans and swore I would never buy another vehicle with a manual trans.

I've never used a manual tranny for off roading so I cannot comment on that.

scotiez 12-15-2007 10:15 AM

Sorry for this being a double post. I was trying to make a poll and i wasn't fast enough to post for it to take effect. Please disreguard this post and go to the poll for your vote. thanks.

http://www.wranglerforum.com/general...ual-14058.html

Scout 12-15-2007 10:23 AM

I merged the two thread for you.

Automatic here. It's better for slow speed crawling. :D

debruins 12-15-2007 10:26 AM

well i prefer manual way better, much more fun to drive, people arent alwasy asking me to drive my jeep, and i get to teach girls how to drive it and show off,
but if i lived where there is lots of traffic or where there is lots of rock crawling i might like an auto matic better
oh btw manuals get better gas mileage and with the litte 4 cyls manuals have WAAYY more power

scotiez 12-15-2007 10:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scout (Post 172121)
I merged the two thread for you.

Automatic here. It's better for slow speed crawling. :D

Thank you very much. This is my 1st poll i started. I had that feeling i was gona goof up. :)

debruins 12-15-2007 10:29 AM

dont worry ive done it at least twice its weird how you have like 2 minutes ot do it w/e

amy 12-15-2007 12:01 PM

I like manual. Don't really know why, I've just always liked driving with a stick.

Scotty355 12-15-2007 01:45 PM

My previous job was driving a dump truck and the last thing I wanted to do was get off work and shift more gears....

sgnellett 12-15-2007 01:55 PM

I've got the 3 speed auto in mine, which sucks for mileage, and while a stick is fun, I'm too old for all that fun!

I have considered upgrading to the 4 speed that came in the 03 and newer models, anybody done this or something else similar?

Hackle 12-15-2007 02:01 PM

I have a 4 speed manual right now and am pretty good adriving in on the trail, but I am ready to install an auto finally. They are so much better to use on the hard trails. No more stalling out, no more needing 3 feet. It seems like a natural progression.
Jim F.

soupy1957 12-15-2007 02:40 PM

My vote goes to "Manual." I understand that the rock-climbing crowd prefer an automatic, and I suppose it makes rational sense, but I still like to have full control over the changes in my tranny.

-Soupy1957

AzTJ 12-15-2007 02:54 PM

Automatic - there is no need for a manual on the rocks. Putting it in 4Lo and 1st (3-speed auto) and it will crawl over just about anything in this area without having to do anything but maybe bump the gas pedal a tad.

thedon 12-15-2007 06:30 PM

I have a 6sp trans love it. Had a auto in my 91 YJ and it was ok,, but the trans would get hot when doing alot of wheeling.

nicolas-eric 12-15-2007 06:54 PM

off the road an auto tranny is the best option.

distortedtj 12-15-2007 07:37 PM

Manual here. Reason....:confused: never owned an auto. Driven them and i dont think they like me.:rolleyes:

Smeghead 12-15-2007 07:47 PM

Dont cuss me out but I swore id bought my last American built auto tranny 5 years ago. Ive never had one go more than 70k miles.

I can sure inderstand it if you are in traffic alot like in LA or something but I never am, and a manual shifter is all part of the driving experience/pleasure to me.
What does annoy me is that dumb orange arrow on my dash telling me when to shift. I might stick some tape over that I dont want to be told when to shift any more, im not gonna be racing it anytime soon

antwon412 12-15-2007 08:24 PM

Well I voted Auto even though i have a manual. I prefer auto but have a manaul. oh well.

debruins 12-15-2007 10:18 PM

i try to get the light so stay on b/c it comes on at just about where i like to keep my rpm's around 1500 it comes on

Smeghead 12-15-2007 10:36 PM

I guess im just too used to revving to 7200rpms lol

sgnellett 12-15-2007 10:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Smeghead (Post 172383)
I guess im just too used to revving to 7200rpms lol

Good luck w/ that!

RIPBiker13 12-15-2007 10:54 PM

I have a 6 spd and I love it. My Jeep it more fun to drive, but it does wear me out at the end of a long day. I've always has manual and I like them. It's all opinion, there is no such thing as one being better than the other. But Scout is right, if you have a hardcore rock crawler auto is better. My baby is just a Trail Queen.

sgnellett 12-15-2007 11:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RIPBiker13 (Post 172395)
I have a 6 spd and I love it. My Jeep it more fun to drive, but it does wear me out at the end of a long day. I've always has manual and I like them. It's all opinion, there is no such thing as one being better than the other. But Scout is right, if you have a hardcore rock crawler auto is better. My baby is just a Trail Queen.

As opposed to his Trailer Queen!

jjseel 12-16-2007 03:41 AM

Auto, here.

What's up with you two, and all the talk about Queens? :confused:

:flipoff:

sgnellett 12-16-2007 08:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RIPBiker13 (Post 172395)

Quote:

Originally Posted by sgnellett (Post 172396)
As opposed to his Trailer Queen!

Quote:

Originally Posted by jjseel (Post 172416)
Auto, here.

What's up with you two, and all the talk about Queens? :confused:

:flipoff:

He started it, I'm just stirring the pot!

woody_k 12-16-2007 10:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by soupy1957 (Post 172212)
My vote goes to "Manual." I understand that the rock-climbing crowd prefer an automatic, and I suppose it makes rational sense, but I still like to have full control over the changes in my tranny.

-Soupy1957

Auto trans can do this also. I haven't had any auto trans shif up to the next gear without me manually doing if I placed the lever in a lower gear.

Are Jeep trannys made to shift up if the RPM's get too high if I have placed the shift lever in lets say 1st gear?

crafty 12-16-2007 12:35 PM

I prefer a stick shift but do have a hand throttle on the way. Us females have small feet :)

scotiez 12-17-2007 04:27 PM

So far i see its a dead even tie for what people have. I figured that the Manual was more common cause thats about all i saw when i was lookin for my Jeep. I was lookin for a manual anyway, but I did see one automatic while i was lookin, but i thought they wanted way to much money, Plus it wasn't exactly what i wanted.

1BLKJP 12-17-2007 04:35 PM

Ah, the age old debate. :D

I'm down with the Auto crowd. Of course I'm a rock crawler and stalling out on a vertical waterfall is no fun. And neither is launching up the same waterfall because you had to hammer the gas and clutch. :D

scotiez 12-17-2007 04:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1BLKJP (Post 172976)
Ah, the age old debate. :D

I'm down with the Auto crowd. Of course I'm a rock crawler and stalling out on a vertical waterfall is no fun. And neither is launching up the same waterfall because you had to hammer the gas and clutch. :D

Well if i lived in an area were there were some rocks i might enjoy doing that. Im afraid all we have are wood trails and stuff around here. Maybe in western North Dakota a person might find some rocks. Kinda far for me though ... i like stickin within a couple hundred miles from home for wheeling.