Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   TJ General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f282/)
-   -   soft top (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f282/soft-top-140769.html)

swank08 02-19-2012 02:41 PM

soft top

being very new to the jeep scene, i dont know where im gonna get the best bang for my buck, im gonna need a soft top first, then ill start with the fun stuff :thumb:..so i guess to start... what brand and where am i going to find a good deal on a top for my 01 wrangler? thanks for the help!

Redsand 02-19-2012 02:54 PM

Jeeptopdepot.com

Ericologist 02-19-2012 02:54 PM

Can't help you with a shop, but BestTop is a large fave and decent price. Quadratec.com

swank08 02-19-2012 03:47 PM

thanks guys, either of you have any info with smittybilt tops?

Ericologist 02-28-2012 08:39 PM

Haven't any personal experience or know anyone with some on Smitty's. Sorry man.

swank08 02-28-2012 09:14 PM

It's cool, thanks anyway!

Jeep lunatic 02-28-2012 09:18 PM

Smittybuilt quality is questionable, Best Top is good, OEM is better. In my opinion any way

Crazyflyingplastics 02-28-2012 09:21 PM

if you already have the hardware, i would go with Rampage soft top. I picked one up for 280 on amazon with free shipping. This is the 2nd one from rampage I've had. Best Top is probably the best, but I can't justify spending that much on a top. Living in texas, the top is down most of the time for me.

jp2611 02-28-2012 09:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeep lunatic (Post 2085772)
Smittybuilt quality is questionable, Best Top is good, OEM is better. In my opinion any way

x2----look at the different tops read reviews, think about what you want it to do.....look at my Red Jeep..that is a fully enclosed halftop...there are a lot of choices.

Once you get it narrowed down come back and ask about one or two you are undecided about.

Generally speaking you get what you pay for.

Dragonii 02-28-2012 09:24 PM

Amazon.com: Smittybilt 9970235 Black Diamond OE Style Replacement Top with Tinted Window for Jeep Wrangler: Automotive

Cheapest I've seen.

I just bought a Rampage frameless top. Just finished putting it on about an hour ago.
It ran $425 for the complete kit, but I love it.
It hugs the roll bars instead of using a frame.
Rampage Frameless Soft Top Install - TJ Jeep - YouTube

Drock1979 02-28-2012 09:44 PM

The rampage top looks sweet but looks like a nightmare to take off and put on if it began to rain or something. Is there anything I am missing or is it just a pain?

Dragonii 02-28-2012 09:57 PM

Well, I just put it on for the first time tonight. It was a pain to get on, but I think that's just because it was cool outside and the top was new. Once it stretches it should be pretty easy.
You put the front channel in, snap the door channels in and the tie off the two back corners.

I guess I'll find out when the summer gets here.

Drock1979 02-28-2012 11:53 PM

So if you want to take it off do you have to fold it up and stick it in the back to carry with you should it rain? Just trying to see if it would work for me. I like to throw the top down and leave it till rain starts fallin and throw it up last second. I actually practiced until I could get it done in about a min or less, lol.

swank08 02-29-2012 06:04 AM

Thanks for all the info here fellas I appreciate it, ill have to do some more review reading I guess..I do have another question though, if I order say just a replacement soft top from smitty or rampage, is the frame work from my current top (bestop sunrider) going to work?

coletrickle 02-29-2012 07:03 AM

EBAY. I have bought 2 tops on there. One I needed frame also and found it. OEM sailcloth top is the best.:thumb:

LiftedTj 02-29-2012 07:07 AM

Quadratec has a SOFT-TOP advisor on their webpage

crallscars 02-29-2012 07:21 AM

Bought mine used from e-bay, replacement parts from Jeep

Dragonii 02-29-2012 07:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Drock1979 (Post 2086330)
So if you want to take it off do you have to fold it up and stick it in the back to carry with you should it rain? Just trying to see if it would work for me. I like to throw the top down and leave it till rain starts fallin and throw it up last second. I actually practiced until I could get it done in about a min or less, lol.

Yeah, it would have to come off and be rolled up. the bar that you mount on top of the windshield stays, once it's on it's on.
The thing I liked about it was that it has a storage bag built into it for the windows. If you take the three windows out they store inside of the top and are protected and out of the way. I think the storage bag can be pulled out and the whole top can be folded up and put in the bag as well.

I'm going to mess with it this weekend and figure it out better.

Dragonii 02-29-2012 08:34 AM

But I do like the way it looks.
http://sphotos.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-...08396978_n.jpg

Drock1979 02-29-2012 08:50 AM

Yea it looks sweet for sure!

swank08 02-29-2012 11:14 AM

Ya know I do like the look of the rampage one maybe I will go that route ...

Mo Kirkwood 02-29-2012 11:33 AM

I am also looking for a new top for my "05" TJ. I would stay away from Smittybuilt. I bought other items from Sh--ybuilt to save money and the quality just isn't there. Things like bad design, week seams, and holes that don't line up. Keep it simple, buy American. A lot of us are out of work and if you keep the money in this country we all win.

Dragonii 02-29-2012 12:15 PM

I've never bought Smitty, thanks for the warning.

Swank08, what sold me on the Rampage was the frameless part. I love the fact that it just stretches over the roll bars.

swank08 02-29-2012 12:26 PM

Yea it does look pretty cool, where did you end up buying yours

Crazyflyingplastics 02-29-2012 12:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mo Kirkwood (Post 2087614)
I am also looking for a new top for my "05" TJ. I would stay away from Smittybuilt. I bought other items from Sh--ybuilt to save money and the quality just isn't there. Things like bad design, week seams, and holes that don't line up. Keep it simple, buy American. A lot of us are out of work and if you keep the money in this country we all win.

BestTop manufactures their tops in Mexico. Geoff from Besttop posted that on the forums before. I don't know if any tops are actually made in the USA these days, unfortunately.

Dragonii 02-29-2012 12:37 PM

Amazon.

You have to get the top, the windshield header bar and the tailgate bar. The stock tailgate bar may work, I'm not sure. I just bought the new one because my old one look ratty and you replace the top tailgate seal when you replace the bar.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...06_i00_details

If you scroll down you will see "add all three", that's everything you need because you already have full doors.

swank08 02-29-2012 01:15 PM

Thanks man

ae5dw 02-29-2012 06:43 PM

I bought a Smitty top for my 2000 TJ back in September. I've had absolutely no problems with mine. I had it down today for the drive to work and have never had any issues with putting it back up. The elastic rear window ties are cheap, the snap pulled out of the hole. It's a bad design. I cut them off and use a very small bungie cord around the rear bow to tie up the rear window. Works like a charm. Occasionally one of the cord zipper pulls on the rear window will pop out of the zipper but it's my fault for not watching how it's hanging. Not an issue and fairly easy to slide it back in the zipper. Again, this is the cord, not the metal slider that pops off.

I would have no problem buying another Smitty top based on my experiences with it so far.

BRAVO TANGO 02-29-2012 06:50 PM

if you dont have the hardware on your jeep, then look at a company called softtopper. ive got one and havnt had any problems with it. it also a buit in storage compartment for the rear side windows

Drock1979 02-29-2012 06:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ae5dw
I bought a Smitty top for my 2000 TJ back in September. I've had absolutely no problems with mine. I had it down today for the drive to work and have never had any issues with putting it back up. The elastic rear window ties are cheap, the snap pulled out of the hole. It's a bad design. I cut them off and use a very small bungie cord around the rear bow to tie up the rear window. Works like a charm. Occasionally one of the cord zipper pulls on the rear window will pop out of the zipper but it's my fault for not watching how it's hanging. Not an issue and fairly easy to slide it back in the zipper. Again, this is the cord, not the metal slider that pops off.

I would have no problem buying another Smitty top based on my experiences with it so far.

So even though it has already broke due to bad design you are saying you have had no problems with it?! Lol