Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   JK General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/)
-   -   inadequate navigation system (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/inadequate-navigation-system-140771.html)

Gprater 02-19-2012 02:50 PM

inadequate navigation system

I just purchased a 2012 Rubicon with the Media center 730n. I am disappointed that the navigation system only has street mapping. No dirt roads etc. Can I load topo's on there? If not then I have to also use my garmin for that info.
Anyone have a solution?

seanpholman 02-19-2012 04:48 PM

Nope, you can't expand the database, however, there are tons of dirt roads on the base mapping. The problem is that they don't show up until you are greatly zoomed in. I always bring my Garmin along anyway since it has all my waypoints, but I have been surprised that many of the backcountry dirt roads I travel are on the 730N.

--Sean

New2012JEEP 02-19-2012 04:57 PM

Sell it to me :)

joe002 02-19-2012 07:43 PM

The maps in my 2008 has a lot of dirt roads - just not all of them. One thing you have to do is zoom in a bit before they show up.

tomthbomb 02-19-2012 07:51 PM

Welcome to the 730N world.

:popcorn:

JIMBOX 02-19-2012 08:02 PM

:whistling: Man, ya gotta be a surviver--

I use my TomTom/Google earth/Delorme 5.0 and every now and then I get out and smell the roses !

Heh Heh, I've even got those old fashioned paper 7-minute topo maps !

It's a jungle out there !

:dance::rofl: JIMBO

nwbronco 02-19-2012 08:15 PM

Heheh, I'm with Jim. I've got the 730N, a magnetic milspec compass, and a Garmin GPSIII plus. I have maps for days of Washington. I need to get more Oregon maps....

Bob K.

SilverBolt 02-20-2012 08:33 AM

Get a Lowrance.

SUPERDUTY HQ - GPS

Vanne 02-20-2012 10:41 AM

jep, thats the only thing i dislike about my Jeep. Crappy 730n Nav

tomthbomb 02-20-2012 10:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JIMBOX
:whistling: Man, ya gotta be a surviver--

I use my TomTom/Google earth/Delorme 5.0 and every now and then I get out and smell the roses !

Heh Heh, I've even got those old fashioned paper 7-minute topo maps !

It's a jungle out there !

I have the 7.5 and 15 minute maps for the entire U.S. on cd rom. I haven't tried them in the 730 cd drive but will. Wish I knew how to load them on to my iPad. Years ago I used to have a huge box of rolled up maps and a special net to hold them in the CJ-7.

tomthbomb 02-20-2012 10:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vanne
jep, thats the only thing i dislike about my Jeep. Crappy 730n Nav

Don't get me started!

JIMBOX 02-20-2012 10:53 AM

:D Yeah, the paper topo maps are sometimes needed for stickynotes, but

Quote:

Originally Posted by tomthbomb (Post 2052595)
I have the 7.5 and 15 minute maps for the entire U.S. on cd rom. I haven't tried them in the 730 cd drive but will. Wish I knew how to load them on to my iPad. Years ago I used to have a huge box of rolled up maps and a special net to hold them in the CJ-7.

Google maps/Google earth is usualy more updated than those Geo 7-minute maps and with google you can zoom right to the areas-

seanpholman 02-20-2012 10:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tomthbomb (Post 2052599)
Don't get me started!

Just be happy you don't have the 430N!

I have a bunch of mapping stuff on my iPad for the trail, but I still carry my paper maps. HEMA maps has a great Atlas available for the iPad, but it's no DeLorme. My goal this year is to review all the mapping options for the iPad and see which ones work best for the wheeler.

--Sean

fan of fanboys 02-20-2012 11:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by seanpholman

I have a bunch of mapping stuff on my iPad for the trail, but I still carry my paper maps. HEMA maps has a great Atlas available for the iPad, but it's no DeLorme. My goal this year is to review all the mapping options for the iPad and see which ones work best for the wheeler.

--Sean

It's more tracking than maps but may work for you. I use on my iPhone but I imagine it's on iPad as well. It is called GPS Kit. I paid $10 but it's been invaluable for me. I don't do off road trails but I use a ton for hunting (I hunt in diff states on large pieces of land) and for fishing, especially on lakes.

Look into it. Maybe what you need.

strider_mt2k 02-20-2012 11:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gprater (Post 2049514)
I just purchased a 2012 Rubicon with the Media center 730n. I am disappointed that the navigation system only has street mapping. No dirt roads etc. Can I load topo's on there? If not then I have to also use my garmin for that info.
Anyone have a solution?

I can see how you might be frustrated; however the details about the system aren't being kept a secret or anything.

If you made assumptions about the system being used for offroading and it didn't live up to your assumptions it's hardly the manufacturer's fault.

There's really no wording or implication anywhere from Jeep that this system does anything but on-road navigation. It's sold in different Chrysler vehicles that are not off-road capable and no mention is made anywhere of special provisioning of the system for off road use when installed in a Jeep vehicle.

You can hate it for all kinds of legitamate reasons (they abound) but don't hate it because it's not something they never claimed it to be.

EDIT: Paper maps and a compass should always always come along as a backup, if not your primary means of off road navagation.

Thumper2012 02-20-2012 11:34 AM

Have you guys tried to access the hard drives using wireless?? I've played a little
before I took the jeep to the shop and I think my bluetooth on the laptop saw the
jeep radio (430N).

Maybe the lockpick people have an idea to access the radio. I know with my Nuvi 550
I can access the internal and directly load routs to the .GPX folder and get the waypoint
and route when I load the file on the gps. This is what I am trying to do
the to the 430N.

When my jeep comes back I'll spend a day working on this guys, or I'll keep working
until I have a fix. Let me know what you guys have tried.

Thanks.

seanpholman 02-20-2012 11:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fan of fanboys (Post 2052663)
It's more tracking than maps but may work for you. I use on my iPhone but I imagine it's on iPad as well. It is called GPS Kit. I paid $10 but it's been invaluable for me. I don't do off road trails but I use a ton for hunting (I hunt in diff states on large pieces of land) and for fishing, especially on lakes.

Look into it. Maybe what you need.

I use that also, nice little program.

--Sean

tomthbomb 02-20-2012 01:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by seanpholman (Post 2052612)

--Sean

I have tried to download some GPS app's for my iPad but the app store won't let me because I don't have a data plan. I do have a mobile hot spot that works just as well and cost less (about $60 for 5G).

It lives plugged in to the 12v port in the back of the Jeep.

If anybody knows of an iPad GPS app that works with WiFi I could use some help.:flowers:

http://i1188.photobucket.com/albums/...omb3/photo.jpg

BTW, the 730 disc drive will not display my cd rom topo maps.

JIMBOX 02-20-2012 01:22 PM

:D Can't do much, I've got AT&T WiFi at home and AT&T mobile-using the "Sierra Wireless Lightning 305 AT&T GSM USB Aircard and thats for my laptop in the field !

tomthbomb 02-20-2012 02:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JIMBOX (Post 2053075)
:D Can't do much, I've got AT&T WiFi at home and AT&T mobile-using the "Sierra Wireless Lightning 305 AT&T GSM USB Aircard and thats for my laptop in the field !

Love my wireless air card. I have coverage 99% of everywhere I go. Unless I am gong to be gone for more than 1 or 2 days I don't take the laptop, just the iPad2. Would still like to find a GPS app for wireless iPads.

fan of fanboys 02-20-2012 02:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tomthbomb

Love my wireless air card. I have coverage 99% of everywhere I go. Unless I am gong to be gone for more than 1 or 2 days I don't take the laptop, just the iPad2. Would still like to find a GPS app for wireless iPads.

From my understanding of how they work there either won't be any or it won't be as accurate. It's not the Internet connection as much as the cell sites. They use triangulation and combo of cell site/satellite position to determine location.

I could be wrong

GeckoJK 02-20-2012 05:29 PM

Another good reason to skip built in nav. The stuff keeps changing. My hundred dollar TomTom came with lifetime updates for maps and traffic, plus I can move it to another vehicle. Built in nav might be good now but in 5 or 6 years it will be out of date and stuck in the dash. I just got the Sirius and connectivity group but that was as much tech as I felt comfortable with built in.

kjeeper10 02-20-2012 05:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GeckoJK
Another good reason to skip built in nav. The stuff keeps changing. My hundred dollar TomTom came with lifetime updates for maps and traffic, plus I can move it to another vehicle. Built in nav might be good now but in 5 or 6 years it will be out of date and stuck in the dash. I just got the Sirius and connectivity group but that was as much tech as I felt comfortable with built in.

:thumb:

"out of date and stuck in the dash" that's funny right there.

JIMBOX 02-20-2012 05:35 PM

:whistling: Yeah, my TomTom VIA ($105 bucks) has the internet download for the same map updates and Although I've gotit velcro in the jeep, I have a beanbag holder for any of the other cars--KEWL

Quote:

Originally Posted by GeckoJK (Post 2054038)

EAD Offroad 02-20-2012 06:41 PM

I'm actually always shocked at the number of trails that show up on mygig. It makes me laugh, we have some rock crawler type trails out here that are on it. I think of some poor Chrysler car owner putting in "shortest route" and ending up on Spring Creak or somthing :rofl:

tomthbomb 02-20-2012 06:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EAD Offroad
I'm actually always shocked at the number of trails that show up on mygig. It makes me laugh, we have some rock crawler type trails out here that are on it. I think of some poor Chrysler car owner putting in "shortest route" and ending up on Spring Creak or somthing :rofl:

Wish my 730 had "shortest route". It does not. It has "avoid hiways and tollroads" or something equally useless. My old Garmin 550 does and I love it and I miss it.

seanpholman 02-20-2012 10:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fan of fanboys (Post 2053380)
From my understanding of how they work there either won't be any or it won't be as accurate. It's not the Internet connection as much as the cell sites. They use triangulation and combo of cell site/satellite position to determine location.

I could be wrong

The reason for this is that 3G iPads come with the iPhone's GPS chip, while Wi-Fi iPads don't (they rely on known WiFi spot locations).

--Sean

rics1997 02-20-2012 10:40 PM

Just use my Droid with a dash mount

tomthbomb 02-21-2012 08:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fan of fanboys (Post 2053380)

I could be wrong

A mobile "hot spot" or "wireless hot spot"uses the same cell sites and signals that a phone does. The "wireless" part of the description is simply how it sends the signal to the computer or tablet. Most of the time my laptop/tablet is within five feet of the hot spot so accuracy is not a problem.

The hot spots are basically phones you can't talk on. They actually have a phone number, that's how the data gets from the cell towers to the device.

Quote:

The reason for this is that 3G iPads come with the iPhone's GPS chip, while Wi-Fi iPads don't (they rely on known WiFi spot locations).
The hot spot is a 3G device as well.

fan of fanboys 02-21-2012 09:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tomthbomb

A mobile "hot spot" or "wireless hot spot"uses the same cell sites and signals that a phone does. The "wireless" part of the description is simply how it sends the signal to the computer or tablet. Most of the time my laptop/tablet is within five feet of the hot spot so accuracy is not a problem.

The hot spots are basically phones you can't talk on. They actually have a phone number, that's how the data gets from the cell towers to the device.

The hot spot is a 3G device as well.

You're looking at it wrong.

The mobile hotspot uses the cell towers but emits a wifi signal. So when the iPad, or any device, connects it only gets the wifi connection not cellular info.

The iPhone, or any other phone, uses a combination of the gps chip and cell towers to pinpoint the location.

If have an iPad wifi model it won't connect location because of the above information.

Edit* the iPad doesn't know the difference between a mobile hotspot or a hotspot at your house or Starbucks. Which is why it doesn't give an accurate location (general location, such as city or zip can be determined) and just one reason (no gps chip being another)