Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   TJ General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f282/)
-   -   What kind of windshield header is this? (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f282/what-kind-of-windshield-header-is-this-140910.html)

IROCthe4.0L 02-20-2012 07:26 AM

What kind of windshield header is this?

Just notices my jeep already has a header for a safari top. Any ideas which it is or more importantly will it work with a best top?
http://i1220.photobucket.com/albums/...f/IMAG0982.jpg

Irieblue 02-20-2012 07:41 AM

It appears that is the header that is part of your soft top. It does not come off the top, it is attached.

There are two kinds of headers, one you drill in and one that is no drill and uses those same clamp holes. You can use either header, you just have to buy the type top that works with the same type header.

FWIW, I have the same kind of soft top. I removed it, bought the header that clamps on, and bought a HEADER safari top. If it doesn't say header, it works with the drill in type.

arcountryboy 02-20-2012 07:53 AM

If your referring the the screwed on metal channel, it looks identical to the one that is for my bestop safari top.

IROCthe4.0L 02-20-2012 08:04 AM

Thats what im talking about, the screwed in metal header below the soft top header

Iceman 02-20-2012 08:14 AM

Looks like the standard screw-in type header that uses the rib type bikini tops to me.

TXST8tj 02-20-2012 08:23 AM

Definitely a "drill-style" header for a bikini or safari top. It looks like it is one piece. If it is, it is the one from Mopar. Bestop sells the same thing, but theirs comes in two pieces (I'm sure to save on shipping).

Look to Bestop or Mopar for a bikini top or safari top made for the drill-style header.

I personally have run this style on all of my TJs. I like having the header bar always installed and ready to go. It's one less thing to store. You also have the benefit of stashing the bikini top in the Jeep and being able to install it in a pinch.

Iceman 02-20-2012 08:55 AM

Forgive my ignorance here I've never used that type of header. Can you leave it on the windshield with the soft top up or a hard top on? Or do you have to take it on and off?

Jerry Bransford 02-20-2012 09:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Iceman (Post 2052323)
Forgive my ignorance here I've never used that type of header. Can you leave it on the windshield with the soft top up or a hard top on? Or do you have to take it on and off?

That style of header, which is the one I prefer, can remain in place for both types of tops. SOME hard top clamps require you griind a small amount off one part of the header for a tad more clearance so the hard top's clamp can close all the way but that's very minor and can be accomplished in seconds with a small grinder.

coletrickle 02-20-2012 09:13 AM

I am not sure, but it kinda looks as if someone put that screw on type lower header on to accomadate the newer roofs upper header bar. I have an 03 and my header looks like yours on the upper part. The lower part is different. I have a guy I know who has a 99 and he saw my header and said his was different. I have not acctually looked at his. I just suspect that this is the case.

Jerry Bransford 02-20-2012 09:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by coletrickle (Post 2052351)
I am not sure, but it kinda looks as if someone put that screw on type lower header on to accomadate the newer roofs upper header bar. I have an 03 and my header looks like yours on the upper part. The lower part is different. I have a guy I know who has a 99 and he saw my header and said his was different. I have not acctually looked at his. I just suspect that this is the case.

Older TJs don't have the interior plastic trim cover piece that covers the windshield's frame as yours does. The screw-on header shown in the OP's post is meant for bikini tops.

coletrickle 02-20-2012 11:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jerry Bransford (Post 2052357)
Older TJs don't have the interior plastic trim cover piece that covers the windshield's frame as yours does. The screw-on header shown in the OP's post is meant for bikini tops.

Yea Thats what I was trying to say. But if you look at his picture it appears that he has the upper header bar that has the to clamps like on my 2003. It appears to me that the screw on strip is to accomodate the newer style tops. But what do I know? I have not owned an early TJ. Just trying to help.

ClearH2O 02-20-2012 12:34 PM

This may be a stupid question but with a soft top do you need a header? When I installed a new soft top from bestop there was no header that attached to the window frame.

IROCthe4.0L 02-20-2012 12:41 PM

This TJ is an 02. I previously had a 99 and never noticed a difference between soft top headers.

Thanks for the help on the drill in header though. I kinda had a felling thats what it was

TXST8tj 02-20-2012 01:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by coletrickle (Post 2052631)
Yea Thats what I was trying to say. But if you look at his picture it appears that he has the upper header bar that has the to clamps like on my 2003. It appears to me that the screw on strip is to accomodate the newer style tops. But what do I know? I have not owned an early TJ. Just trying to help.

The soft top header bar and clamps are the same design 97-06. They are completely interchangeable from year to year.

Irieblue 02-20-2012 06:47 PM

You guys have good eyes. I only see the one header...

Jerry Bransford 02-20-2012 07:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Irieblue (Post 2054354)
You guys have good eyes. I only see the one header...

Look for the screws, that was my only clue it was there.

coletrickle 02-20-2012 08:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TXST8tj (Post 2053120)
The soft top header bar and clamps are the same design 97-06. They are completely interchangeable from year to year.

Cool. Thanks for the expert info Patrick

TXST8tj 02-21-2012 10:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by coletrickle (Post 2054880)
Cool. Thanks for the expert info Patrick

Haha. I'm just very experienced with soft tops. I've run SEVERAL combinations of tops on three different TJs of my own....

OEM 2002 top on a 2002
Bestop Supertop on a 1997
OEM 2006 top on a 1997
OEM 2001 top on a 2001
Pavement Ends top on a 2001
OEM 2005 top on a 2001
Bestop Trektop NX on a 2001

I've also run a drill-style header with bikini top and safari top, a no-drill style header with bikini top, and a Mopar bikini top that had a factory header bar (rare but awesome!).