Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   TJ General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f282/)
-   -   4 hours "trying" to install mml (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f282/4-hours-trying-to-install-mml-141158.html)

xndrxw 02-20-2012 11:40 PM

4 hours "trying" to install mml
 
I just spent the last 4 hours trying to get a damn mml installed on my 05 TJ, with ac. I followed step by step on the rough country instructions. According to the instructions I received you do one side at a time, passenger side first. Well this seems nearly impossible. In fact. I don't see how its possible to lift the engine from the bell housing without lifting the entire jeep. I managed to get the passenger side off and nearly had it installed. Problem is the bolt will not go through now. I am assuming you have to take off the driver side to get it to line up right. It is driving me crazy. I have spent the last 3 days trying to install a 3.5 inch lift and the mml and have run into nothing but problems. Anyone that has done the mml have any suggestions on what I can do? Anything at this point would be a great help.

Owen_TJ 02-20-2012 11:45 PM

The directions are correct, you do it one side at a time...

You'll need to remove the engine support bracket as well for the bolt...

I'm not sure about the rough country instructions but here are the zone instructions for the mml i have.

When i did mine, i did the passenger side first (removed my alt because i have a 4cyl), took the mount off, cut the threads, reinstalled by lightling threading, then did the driver side...

all in all i did the mml in about 2.5 hours with cleanup

xndrxw 02-20-2012 11:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Owen_TJ (Post 2055962)
The directions are correct, you do it one side at a time...

You'll need to remove the engine support bracket as well for the bolt...

I'm not sure about the rough country instructions but here are the zone instructions for the mml i have.

When i did mine, i did the passenger side first (removed my alt because i have a 4cyl), took the mount off, cut the threads, reinstalled by lightling threading, then did the driver side...

all in all i did the mml in about 2.5 hours with cleanup


And you lifted the entire engine from the bell housing?

Owen_TJ 02-20-2012 11:53 PM

yes sir...

i was using a 3-ton floor jack and a piece of wood to distribute the weight...

s3nt3nc3d 02-20-2012 11:54 PM

I didn't do my install...I was busy installing my lift while my mechanic buddy was doing the MML install, but by the way he was cussing, it wasn't the most pleasant job in the world. If I recall correctly, on one side he found it easier to take the entire bracket off with the mount attached to it and then installed the riser to the assembly on his workbench and reassembled it all.

blue6tj 02-21-2012 01:33 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Here are some JKS instructions that I just pulled off the Morris 4x4 site... Hope it helps...

Wesboy 02-21-2012 01:42 AM

You will need to loosen the transfer case mounting bracket which is mounted to the skid plate.
If you look at the skid plate from underneath, there are 4 slots roughly in the middle - feel inside and loosen the 4 nuts that are in there.
(EDIT - There are 4 bolts for my 3 speed auto - maybe other trannies are different?)

Loosening the nuts will let the motor move a bit more as you try to get the new MML on.

When I did mine, I took the nuts completely off - I don't recommend you do this - I had a hell of a time getting them back on - loosening them as far as they will go should be enough.

jmcc75 02-21-2012 02:07 AM

Just yesterday a friend of mine stopped by to help with my mml and it took us 7 hours to get it done. I'm at work tonight and it took me the past 2 hours with customers coming in to get the bl on by myself in our parking lot. I don't understand how something that should've taken 45 minutes took us that long. But anyways good luck bro!!

Rakk17 02-21-2012 03:32 AM

i had a hell of a time putting my Currie MML in this weekend. They didnt come with instructions so I went with the Rokmen youtube video. I must have missed the part about the transfer case mounting bracket. When we did the passenger side the engine tilted a good 3 inches. Took forever to get everything back together again.

TnDz TJ 02-21-2012 06:20 AM

WOW... I got mine installed in like 2 hours... and I made mine. Sorry for the all the troubles, but I did mine by removing the MM nuts and bolts,
Then I jacked up the engine like you did( BOTH SIDES at once)..
Removed the engine support brackets and installed my mounts on them...
Then reinstalled the supports to the engine loosely.
Lowered the engine down onto frame perches just enough to start the bolts and nuts.
Tightened the supports to the engine
lowered engine completely
tighten everything
adjust shroud

BTW... I had my jack in a position to push/pull left or right if I needed it...that way you have a way to bump it side to side if need be.

TheTJRod 02-21-2012 10:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by s3nt3nc3d (Post 2055988)
If I recall correctly, on one side he found it easier to take the entire bracket off with the mount attached to it and then installed the riser to the assembly on his workbench and reassembled it all.

x2, When I did mine I found it much easier to remove the mount bracket from the engine and assemble it on a bench. I did both at the same time. Make sure to loosen the t-case mount bolts a lot.

TXST8tj 02-21-2012 10:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xndrxw (Post 2055953)
According to the instructions I received you do one side at a time, passenger side first. Well this seems nearly impossible. In fact. I don't see how its possible to lift the engine from the bell housing without lifting the entire jeep. I managed to get the passenger side off and nearly had it installed. Problem is the bolt will not go through now. I am assuming you have to take off the driver side to get it to line up right.

Using a floor jack and block of wood will allow you to lift from the bellhousing easily. You will get all of the height adjustment you need, doing that.
You will need to do a little pushing/pulling to get the passenger side bolt to line up. You will also probably need to adjust the height of the engine a couple times to get it just right.
When you get the holes close to lining up, put a bigger screwdriver in the opposite end you will pass the bolt through. Use that for leverage to fine-tune the lining up of the holes. Once you get the bolt started through the frame mount and the engine mount, it will be easy to bang it through the rest of the way.

I would suggest running the bolt entering from the rear of the mount (where the nut will be on the grille side of the mount). That will keep you from having to remove the alt. again if you ever need to remove the mounts down the road.


When you do the driver's side, remove the entire mount from the engine block and frame. Assemble the setup outside the Jeep and install as one whole unit. Sometimes I use a couple pieces of painters tape to hold the MML block to the mount just so it's one less thing you have to man handle while getting everything else back in place.

530ktm 02-21-2012 10:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TXST8tj (Post 2057158)
Using a floor jack and block of wood will allow you to lift from the bellhousing easily. You will get all of the height adjustment you need, doing that.
You will need to do a little pushing/pulling to get the passenger side bolt to line up. You will also probably need to adjust the height of the engine a couple times to get it just right.
When you get the holes close to lining up, put a bigger screwdriver in the opposite end you will pass the bolt through. Use that for leverage to fine-tune the lining up of the holes. Once you get the bolt started through the frame mount and the engine mount, it will be easy to bang it through the rest of the way.

I would suggest running the bolt entering from the rear of the mount (where the nut will be on the grille side of the mount). That will keep you from having to remove the alt. again if you ever need to remove the mounts down the road.


When you do the driver's side, remove the entire mount from the engine block and frame. Assemble the setup outside the Jeep and install as one whole unit. Sometimes I use a couple pieces of painters tape to hold the MML block to the mount just so it's one less thing you have to man handle while getting everything else back in place.

This sums it up pretty good. I had a hard time getting the bolts back in the holes and had the wife adjust the floor jack a couple of times until they would line up. 4 hours would be pretty frustrating no doubt. :facepalm:

oIIIIIIo 02-21-2012 03:48 PM

I never done a Rough Country MML but the Brown Dog MML was straight forward and took me no more than 2 hours to install.

Hammerwalk 02-21-2012 04:12 PM

Give this a try... shows how to deal with the very issue you are having... from what I am gathering.

ROKMEN - Body Lift, Motor Mount Lift Installation -Part 2 - YouTube

Bobs Jeep 02-21-2012 04:21 PM

I put in a JKS MML about a month ago. The engine kinda pivoted towards the passenger side. It took me a very long frustrating time to get the passenger bolts in. I had to loosen the bracket for the air conditioner to get the drivers side bolt out. That wasn't in the instructions. I have a heck of a vibration now. I only have a body lift so now the angles are out of wack. I'm going to remove it and lower the fan shroud. I'll hang on to it in case I decide to add a suspension lift.

BLK00TJ 02-21-2012 05:23 PM

I did both sides at the same time. I had a little issue getting everything lined back up but was able to do so without much effort. My hardest part was being stubborn and not taping the mount to the block. They kept separating allowing the bolt to drop out enough to make me stop and try to piece it back together. Tape would have saved me an hour.

xndrxw 02-21-2012 08:29 PM

So it took a total of 7 hours to get it all installed. The first 4 was spent going in circles. The problem was the bolts in the transfer case. No where in the instructions did it say to loosen them. After I loosened them it went in smooth. The drivers side I took the entire bracket on the engine off and again it went in after a little man handling. Thanks to everyones replies. I would be taking a cab to work tomorrow otherwise.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:11 PM.


User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.1.0 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2015 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.