Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   JK General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/)
-   -   Just purchased new wheels and tires (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/just-purchased-new-wheels-and-tires-141268.html)

GoPacers 02-21-2012 02:52 PM

Just purchased new wheels and tires
 
I have a 2007 Wrangler Unlimited X and just purchased new tires and wheels for it. They are 33" tires, but they aren't as bulky as I thought. I figured the tires would raise my Jeep more than it did. I am now interested in lifting it, and the guys there at Discount Tire recommended I purchase blocks that will raise it 2 more inches. They said I can buy the blocks at AutoZone. Has anyone else used blocks, instead of purchasing a lift kit to raise their Jeep?

Thanks guys!

4fit 02-21-2012 03:01 PM

Um, don't do that! If you are going to lift it and want to do it cheaply, just go with a budget boost or even a leveling kit. The Teraflex leveling kit includes 4 1" spacers for the front (2 per side), 2 1" spacers for the rear (1 per side), and new longer sway bar end links for the front. Can be had for around $120 shipped and can be installed in your driveway simply.

Here is what it would look like with 33" tires and the leveling kit.
http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y26...1/IMAG0325.jpg

InfernoGirl 02-21-2012 04:03 PM

The problem with lifting it now is that the tires will look smaller again after you lift it....

kbwwolf 02-21-2012 04:30 PM

Yeah, don't go with some cheap AutoZone blocks. The TF levelling kit, like 4fit said, will do you right. Best not to get cheap on any kinda lifting action.

Another good thing about the leveling kit is, if you decide later you want more of a lift and decide to go with a more expensive spring/shock kit, you'll be able to sell the TF spacers to somebody and recoup a pretty decent percentage of that cash.

And Inferno Girl is right on...a taller Jeep will make you start wishing for bigger tires. But hey, that was probably gonna happen anyway, right? :D

Oh, and welcome to WF!

jsmithtx 02-21-2012 07:03 PM

Thought about going 33". But looking at the picture may go 35".

4fit 02-21-2012 07:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jsmithtx (Post 2058938)
Thought about going 33". But looking at the picture may go 35".

As long as you have educated yourself and are prepared for all the things that come along with 35s, then by all means go with them! :thumb:

killerbee812 02-21-2012 08:12 PM

Donít do the Autozone thing at all!! A guy I work with has a 2007 Chevy truck 4x4 , and was sold coil spacers from Autozone to lift his truck. Well thatís fine but Chevy trucks have torsion bar front and leaf spring rears. It was so funny he came to work and showed me his new lift that he bought from Autozone bragging about how cheap it was ($50). And I asked him how was he going to put coil spacers on his truck if it didnít have coil springs. :rofl:

Mattjk9 02-21-2012 08:17 PM

Blocks or spacers will decrease your drive quality.

kbwwolf 02-21-2012 08:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by killerbee812 (Post 2059222)
Donít do the Autozone thing at all!! A guy I work with has a 2007 Chevy truck 4x4 , and was sold coil spacers from Autozone to lift his truck. Well thatís fine but Chevy trucks have torsion bar front and leaf spring rears. It was so funny he came to work and showed me his new lift that he bought from Autozone bragging about how cheap it was ($50). And I asked him how was he going to put coil spacers on his truck if it didnít have coil springs. :rofl:

Hahaha...now that's hilarious!

kjeeper10 02-21-2012 08:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kbwwolf

Hahaha...now that's hilarious!

Where is my EPIC fail pic?.... Um :rofl:

kjeeper10 02-21-2012 08:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mattjk9
Blocks or spacers will decrease your drive quality.

Neh... I don't believe this.

Good kit with upgraded shocks will be fine.

Mattjk9 02-21-2012 08:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kjeeper10

Neh... I don't believe this.

Good kit with upgraded shocks will be fine.

I had a fox 2 inch lift put on my jeep with coils and shocks, the ride quality has decreased, spacers would have been worse. Believe me I'm 18 I looked for a cheap lift but I ended up spending the extra money to have the better ride, not the best but better.

killerbee812 02-21-2012 08:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kjeeper10 (Post 2059294)
neh... I don't believe this.

Good kit with upgraded shocks will be fine.

x2

killerbee812 02-21-2012 08:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mattjk9 (Post 2059490)
I had a fox 2 inch lift put on my jeep with coils and shocks, the ride quality has decreased, spacers would have been worse. Believe me I'm 18 I looked for a cheap lift but I ended up spending the extra money to have the better ride, not the best but better.


Fox makes lifts?

If you didnt have spacers then how can you compare?

who installed it? Did you loosen all your suspension and then retighten it after its setting on the ground without a bind on it?

I have to think it was more a bad install then the lift. But i dont know much about Fox lifts.

Mattjk9 02-21-2012 09:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by killerbee812

Fox makes lifts?

If you didnt have spacers then how can you compare?

who installed it? Did you loosen all your suspension and then retighten it after its setting on the ground without a bind on it?

I have to think it was more a bad install then the lift. But i dont know much about Fox lifts.

I have a friend who has 2 inch spacers and said its horrible. The turning isn't anything like what you could get. And I got my car hooked up at the local off road specialist I'm pretty sure he knew what he was doing . You pay for what you get, $100 spacers won't give you the tight stock type steering you will get from the more expensive lifts.

kjeeper10 02-21-2012 09:16 PM

:popcorn:

Something is not right there.

Gas shocks if equipped will stiffen the ride up. I just installed Bilstein 5100's and the ride is more firm. Not for everybody.

Could be wrong here. Steering should not be affected at all ??

Mattjk9 02-21-2012 09:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kjeeper10
:popcorn:

Something is not right there.

Gas shocks if equipped will stiffen the ride up. I just installed Bilstein 5100's and the ride is more firm. Not for everybody.

Could be wrong here. Steering should not be affected at all ??

Yea it will stiffen the ride but not the steering quality

killerbee812 02-21-2012 09:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mattjk9 (Post 2059600)
I have a friend who has 2 inch spacers and said its horrible. The turning isn't anything like what you could get. And I got my car hooked up at the local off road specialist I'm pretty sure he knew what he was doing . You pay for what you get, $100 spacers won't give you the tight stock type steering you will get from the more expensive lifts.

Please go back to the shop and ask the guy. if he knows what he is talking about he will tell you the same as we are. to exaclt lifts one springs and one with springs + spacers, same lift height, same everytrhing should both steer the same unless not installed correctly. Now if you told me rides better or one of the lifts has adjustable control arms and trackbars then yes might steer better. But i cant agree with you and not on a 2" lift.

kjeeper10 02-21-2012 09:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by killerbee812

please go back to the shop and ask the guy. If he knows what he is talking about he will tell you the same as we are. To exaclt lifts one springs and one with springs + spacers, same lift height, same everytrhing should both steer the same unless not installed correctly. Now if you told me rides better or one of the lifts has adjustable control arms and trackbars then yes might steer better.

"but i cant agree with you and not on a 2" lift"


x2

killerbee812 02-21-2012 09:30 PM

And also dose Fox really make a lift?

river2c 02-21-2012 09:33 PM

With 33" tires, I would go with a TF leveling kit or BB with some quality shocks. If you think you will go with larger tires someday, you could go with a 2.5" coil kit. None of these kits should adversely effect your ride if installed correctly.

kjeeper10 02-21-2012 09:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by killerbee812
And also dose Fox really make a lift?

Prob TF, they use FOX

killerbee812 02-21-2012 09:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kjeeper10 (Post 2059776)
Prob TF, they use FOX

Also BDS and Procomp use Fox. they are good stuff!!
But he said Fox coil lift not just the shocks.

4fit 02-21-2012 09:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mattjk9 (Post 2059249)
Blocks or spacers will decrease your drive quality.

Um, not true. Got the leveling kit on mine and it drives and handles just like stock.

kjeeper10 02-21-2012 09:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by killerbee812

Also BDS and Procomp use Fox. they are good stuff!!
But he said Fox coil lift not just the shocks.

Yep... Ok

kjeeper10 02-21-2012 09:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 4fit
Um, not true. Got the leveling kit on mine and it drives and handles just like stock.

:whistling:

Mattjk9 02-21-2012 10:47 PM

Cheap spacers are more of a way to to just get the lifted look. Defiantly doesn't keep or help driving quality.

kjeeper10 02-22-2012 05:07 AM

:banghead:

4fit 02-22-2012 08:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kjeeper10
:banghead:

x2.

Mr. Sinister 02-22-2012 08:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mattjk9 (Post 2059249)
Blocks or spacers will decrease your drive quality.


No they won't. I run a set of 1 3/4 spacers on my 2010, and it feels and drives completely like stock. It "looks" lifted, because it is.

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net...25583023_n.jpg


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:36 AM.