Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   JK General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/)
-   -   HELP! Jeep will be here in 2 weeks... (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/help-jeep-will-be-here-in-2-weeks-141305.html)

12blackruby 02-21-2012 05:32 PM

HELP! Jeep will be here in 2 weeks...

OK so my Rubicon jku will br here in roughly two weeks. I'm having trouble deciding between the teraflex 2.5 with bilsteins 5100 or rock krawler 2.5 stock mod w 5100 bilsteins. I'm leaning toward the rk but the kit doesn't come with any brake line brackets or bump stops. Do I need them? It does have an adjustable front track bar which I like over the teraflex but the teraflex seems to have a more complete kit addressing the brake lines and bump stops. Also the rk has front progressive springs which the teraflex does not. Will the progressive springs have a tendency to sag quicker if I install a bumper and winch? Your thoughts/opinions would be greatly appreciated!

kbwwolf 02-21-2012 05:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 12blackruby (Post 2058564)
OK so my Rubicon jku will br here in roughly two weeks. I'm having trouble deciding between the teraflex 2.5 with bilsteins 5100 or rock krawler 2.5 stock mod w 5100 bilsteins. I'm leaning toward the rk but the kit doesn't come with any brake line brackets or bump stops. Do I need them? It does have an adjustable front track bar which I like over the teraflex but the teraflex seems to have a more complete kit addressing the brake lines and bump stops. Also the rk has front progressive springs which the teraflex does not. Will the progressive springs have a tendency to sag quicker if I install a bumper and winch? Your thoughts/opinions would be greatly appreciated!

Both kits are great, and the Bilsteins rock. You will need brake line extension brackets and bump stops.

As for the RK progressive rate springs, I don't really know a lot about em myself, but my guess is they're not gonna sag too much when you add a bumper and winch. They're a lot stiffer than the stock Jeep springs.

One thing you're gonna need to do, since you're going with the Bilsteins, is get a TF exhaust spacer ($50, easy install). That'll move your exhaust pipe farther away from your front driveshaft so the two won't hit due to the increased downward travel you'll get with the shocks.

Soooo, other than freaking out a little...excited yet? :D

12blackruby 02-21-2012 06:25 PM

Thanks man! U have no idea! I'm so pumped! Can hardly sleep.

12blackruby 02-21-2012 06:27 PM

Oh dear I just learned about the new aev2.5...

kbwwolf 02-21-2012 08:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 12blackruby (Post 2058738)
Oh dear I just learned about the new aev2.5...

Oops. I didn't mention that one on purpose. Hate to see somebody 99.9% committed, then get hit in the face with a new option. :D

ESP 02-21-2012 08:27 PM

Kbwwolf is right on the money with his recommendations literally.

12blackruby 02-21-2012 08:43 PM

That aev is very tempting. Only prob I see is you can really build on it. If I wanted to upgrade and go taller I'd have to start from scratch. Ugh! decisions!

kbwwolf 02-21-2012 09:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 12blackruby (Post 2059443)
That aev is very tempting. Only prob I see is you can really build on it. If I wanted to upgrade and go taller I'd have to start from scratch. Ugh! decisions!

Then your decision should be easier. If you think you might some day wanna do more to your rig, and go taller, get the most versatile kit of the three.

I really don't think you can go wrong with any of em. All are very well engineered, decently priced, and able to be installed by you (or you and some other Jeepers), with a little common sense, a jack and a couple of jackstands, and some tools.

kjeeper10 02-21-2012 09:43 PM

Most the better kits can be added to/upgraded (TF/RK) all the parts are interchangeable.

AEV is great if you have lots of this $$$$$$

12blackruby 02-21-2012 09:48 PM

OK this is kinda going backwards but I was also considering just going with the 2.5 tf spring lift with adapters and just using the stock Rubicon shocks that way I can afford the bushwhackers flat fenders I want! What is your thoughts on the stock shocks with 315/70/17s? With they be able to handle the added weight?

kjeeper10 02-21-2012 09:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 12blackruby
OK this is kinda going backwards but I was also considering just going with the 2.5 tf spring lift with adapters and just using the stock Rubicon shocks that way I can afford the bushwhackers flat fenders I want! What is your thoughts on the stock shocks with 315/70/17s? With they be able to handle the added weight?

rubi shocks will do just fine.

sneck 02-21-2012 09:59 PM

Both kits are similar, one of the biggest advantages to the rk kit however is it is literally the same as the 3.5" kit. it comes with the arms, easy to build upon. the tf is cheaper, but less complete. I would go RK myself, as I'm always a fan of getting the most complete kit

*edit* oh, I didn't notice you said the stock mod kit. yeah, that kit isn't very exciting. I've heard great things about the RK springs, but I guess I'll stick to my initial answer and say if thats whats in the budget, get the most complete kit, and go TF

Militaryman4455 02-21-2012 10:04 PM

You mean handle the weight of the 35's when the suspension unloads offroad? Should be fine as long as you're not jumping the thing.

Instead of spending all that money on Bushcrackers, why not just cut your stock fenders down? You can get bumpstops to go inside your coils for pretty damn cheap and they are easy to install especially if you're doing a lift, just install em while the springs are out.

I'd go with the RK lift or maybe the Clayton lift :D

Buy you some bumpstops and you can make/find brake line mounts pretty cheap at a hardware store, they are just a small plate with 2 holes the size of the bolt they use to mount the brake line.

gleesonkd 02-21-2012 10:06 PM

Go with the 2.5 AEV or 3.5AEV. 3.5 you can run 35 or 37 in the future.

kjeeper10 02-21-2012 10:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sneck
Both kits are similar, one of the biggest advantages to the rk kit however is it is literally the same as the 3.5" kit. it comes with the arms, easy to build upon. the tf is cheaper, but less complete. I would go RK myself, as I'm always a fan of getting the most complete kit

*edit* oh, I didn't notice you said the stock mod kit. yeah, that kit isn't very exciting. I've heard great things about the RK springs, but I guess I'll stick to my initial answer and say if thats whats in the budget, get the most complete kit, and go TF

Haha. Was like :confused:

That was my point earlier. Both RK and TF use the same coils.
I think the stock mod RK kit comes with a front TB whereas the TF does not.
TF comes with Bumpstops whereas RK does not.

Also TF has spectacular CS :whistling:
and I here RK does as well :thumb:

Militaryman4455 02-21-2012 11:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gleesonkd (Post 2059978)
Go with the 2.5 AEV or 3.5AEV. 3.5 you can run 35 or 37 in the future.

You can run 35's with a 2.5" kit with a little pinch seam trimmin and flat flares and proper bumpstops.

12blackruby 02-22-2012 05:47 AM

Thanks guys!

bo9roadking 02-22-2012 06:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 12blackruby (Post 2058564)

RK's progressive springs allow for more flex while going over obstacles. If you get the kit with their control arms, their arms will allow more articulation over your other choices because the joints won't bind up like the ones using the stock control arms or control arms with rubber type bushings. If you don't plan on doing any rock crawling, then it probably won't matter and any of the kits will be fine.

RK does have bumpstops, but they don't provide them with the kits. Once you know what tire size and fenders you will use, RK can help you with the correct bumpstop. Paying for a generic one size fits all bumpstop in a kit and then finding out that it won't work is a waste of money.

sneck 02-22-2012 07:02 AM

yeah rockkrawler is a pretty sweet shop (they are like, 5 minutes from my uncles house). easy folks to talk to, I might hop on jkforums or jkfreaks to talk to the rock krawler rep, since I know they're active on both forums. Or give them a call. let them know what your plans are, and see about getting a package just built up for you. One of the biggest reasons people love RK is their control arms and the joints they use; if you don't get a kit that uses arms, you're losing the biggest advantage RK has