Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   WF Site Help & Support (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f2/)
-   -   WF changes and the future (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f2/wf-changes-and-the-future-14134.html)

deverhart 12-17-2007 09:31 PM

WF changes and the future

Im sure some of you have seen some minor changes around here in the last little bit and I wanted to make a post to both introduce a friend of mine as well as explain some of the happenings behind the scenes here at WF.

As many of you know WranglerForum has grown by leaps and bounds over the last year. During this time it has required increased time and resources to maintain it and keep it running for the community that we have all built together. Within the last few months WF has become practically a fulltime job for myself and kyle and with increased time at work we have not been able to dedicate as much time to the forum as we would like. After much discussion and weighing all of our options we looked to some of our peers in the forum admin realm for advice and help with a solution. Many of these people are admins/companies that manage forums fulltime. One such person that we approached was Andy that owns and operates a network of forums. Some of you have already noticed him around the forum for a few days now (Andy R) and I hope this clears things up a little as he is flagged currently as an admin.

We have partnered with Andy to take WF to the next level. Andy will be taking over as the owner/manager of Wranglerforum.com. Kyle myself and Jack will remain in an administrative role here on the forum. Andy will be posting more in this regard shortly.

This is a win-win-win for all involved.

For Andy, he sees WF as an excellent investment because he can appreciate the community that has been built here.

For WF, It allows the forum to move to more robust servers, full-time server admins, and years of experience in managing forums of this size and larger.

For Kyle/Myself, its 2 fold, It relieves us financially, and it allows us to still participate in the role we have from the start without the worry, In short we can enjoy being on the forum just as many of you do.

hope this clears things up.

Thanks
Don

RIPBiker13 12-17-2007 09:37 PM

Just as long as the forum stays here, I'm sure we'll all be happy to help. :D

Andy R 12-17-2007 09:37 PM

Hey there,

I am really excited that Don and Kyle thought I would be a fitting person to adopt the community. I am 33 and have spent 11 of my 17 years driving in Jeeps. I currently have a 1998 Wrangler with a 3" Rancho lift, 31" Bridgestones and Tomken front/rear bumpers. I love forums and am pretty laid back.

I started my first forum in 2002, it's about Airstream Trailers. The link is www.AirForums.com. Since then I started some other forum and adopted others. The ride has been interesting. I moved to South America so I could lower my cost of living and manage forums full time. I lived in Buenos Aires, Argentina for 9 months, an island in Brazil for 9 months and then SE Asia, Australia and Europe for the other 4 months.

Now I am back home and trying to get organized (it's pretty hard to fall behind with paper work when you are gone for 2 years). I will stay in the States for a couple more months and then look for a new journey to go on.

I look forward to meeting you all in the forums and getting a new Wrangler when I move back to the States. I love the oldies but these new 4 doors are pretty awesome!

Oh yeah, if you want to see some of the other sites I manage, check out www.socialknowledge.com.

Andy

tazmann910 12-17-2007 09:54 PM

Welcome, and I am sure this will bring the forum to the next level.

Unlimited 12-18-2007 12:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by deverhart (Post 173105)
...hope this clears things up.

Thanks
Don

Yes it does.... But it still doesn't explain what pink running shoes have to do with Wranglers. :D

Welcome Andy, I've actually been on your Airstream board in the past. Very nice!!! Hopefully, the quality of WF will remain the same.

02Prove 12-18-2007 07:37 AM

Welcome Andy.

4point 12-18-2007 09:12 AM

Donny, you sold us like Pork Bellies? :eek: It was all that talk about bacon wasn't it, it got you thinking, its time to take these little piggys to market, and eat bacon! :rofl:

Welcome Andy

MCG 12-18-2007 09:20 AM

Welcome Andy

erickpl 12-18-2007 10:11 AM

I've seen some forums sold to other vendors and the site become flooded with advertisements and such. I sure hope that WF doesn't become like that.

I would like to see WF step up a notch and I think this a great move, but with all moves, changes WILL happen. As a realist, I just hope those changes are all for the better. :)

4point 12-18-2007 10:15 AM

Who is Janet H?

tiny terror 12-18-2007 10:17 AM

The first thing on my mind was change also, I just hate change with a passion, but I realized that a ship is the sum of it's hands, not it's captain. The members here make the forum what it is, and it's a great forum and will continue to be so with Andy at the helm.

And pink running shoes are what you're supposed to wear wheeling Unlimited, I'm surprised you didn't know that. :p

Andy R 12-18-2007 10:18 AM

Thanks for the welcome. I don't see any major changes in the future. We are doing some restructuring on the mod team to make things simpler and the forum software will be upgraded pretty soon. In regards to ads, the goal is to keep ads to a minimum for registered members and show a few more to guests (to encourage them to join).

Unlimited 12-18-2007 10:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tiny terror (Post 173231)
... a ship is the sum of it's hands, not it's captain.

While this may be true, keep in mind that the Captain is the one that gets to pick where the ship will go. Hopefully, WF will continue to sail on its present course...

Andy R 12-18-2007 10:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 4point (Post 173230)
Who is Janet H?

As you can imagine, with 10 forums, it's hard for me to stay on top of things. Janet is an Admin at Airstream Forums and was always really helpful and we worked well together so I asked her to help me on some other sites. She helps create tutorials on how to use the forum software, answers some help desk tickets, keeps me posted of issues that need my attention, etc. Speaking of, if you all ever have feedback, ideas, etc please feel free to PM them to me.

Unlimited 12-18-2007 10:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andy R (Post 173232)
.....the goal is to keep ads to a minimum for registered members and show a few more to guests (to encourage them to join).

By "registered" do you mean "supporting" members? Or just registered users?

I don't mean to come off as being terse here Andy, but I have to tell you that I'm a bit leery. I was a Mod on a community board a few years ago that was sold to a "Media Firm". They promised that there would be no real changes. Then they started adding "Special features" for paying members only. It didn't take long until the board became pretty worthless for non-paying members. Since it became a "for profit" enterprise, we Mods were instructed to be a lot more heavy handed when it came to censoring threads. Criticism of the board, the ads, admin, and the mods was not tolerated. The final straw was when the started charging the mods $100 a year for the "honor" of being moderators. They took our community and ran it into the ground.

Starting out, I give everyone the benefit of the doubt though, so I'm not going to pre-judge you based on my interactions with others. It is my sincere hope that WF continues to be the great community board it's been in the past.

Peace

kg4kpg 12-18-2007 10:49 AM

Quote:

Who is Janet H?

I was going to ask the same question and now we know. Of course, now she has to buy a jeep, if not already owned. :D

Andy R 12-18-2007 11:12 AM

Unlimited, that sounds like a horrible experience and some idiot owners of the Media Company. I can assure you I am not that way. The extra ads are for guests only, so if someone signs up (for free) the ads will be removed. There is even a message that says "get rid of these ads, join today" or something to that effect. I don't consider account upgrades as an income stream, if someone buys an account upgrade, great but I am not trying to focus on up selling you all. I don't like to be treated that way so I am not going to treat anyone else that way.

02Prove 12-18-2007 11:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unlimited (Post 173248)
By "registered" do you mean "supporting" members? Or just registered users?

I don't mean to come off as being terse here Andy, but I have to tell you that I'm a bit leery. I was a Mod on a community board a few years ago that was sold to a "Media Firm". They promised that there would be no real changes. Then they started adding "Special features" for paying members only. It didn't take long until the board became pretty worthless for non-paying members. Since it became a "for profit" enterprise, we Mods were instructed to be a lot more heavy handed when it came to censoring threads. Criticism of the board, the ads, admin, and the mods was not tolerated. The final straw was when the started charging the mods $100 a year for the "honor" of being moderators. They took our community and ran it into the ground.

Starting out, I give everyone the benefit of the doubt though, so I'm not going to pre-judge you based on my interactions with others. It is my sincere hope that WF continues to be the great community board it's been in the past.

Peace

Very well said man. I too have similar concerns.

Unlimited 12-18-2007 11:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andy R (Post 173253)
.... I don't like to be treated that way so I am not going to treat anyone else that way.

Words to live by!

I'm glad to hear that we share the same philosophy. I'm looking forward to seeing WF continue to grow while maintaining the same "family" atmosphere we've come to enjoy.

//Brian.

Unlimited 12-18-2007 11:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tiny terror (Post 173231)
....And pink running shoes are what you're supposed to wear wheeling Unlimited, I'm surprised you didn't know that. :p

Ya think they would go with my khaki shorts?

deverhart 12-18-2007 03:13 PM

keep in mind, kyle jack and I are still members of the admin team, we love this forum and have no plans of going anywhere anytime soon

02Prove 12-18-2007 03:19 PM

I think I can speak for most of us when I say we aren't going anywhere either.

I wish Andy the best of luck at the helm and I hope we all can continue to enjoy this site.

Plus... Tiny wouldn't let anything bad happen to us... she would hunt people down and bite them about the ankle if harm were to come to the folks here.

cherokee980 12-18-2007 03:23 PM

O' lawd!!!!! I just don't know.....I will leave it to time to show me what happens with this one.

1BLKJP 12-18-2007 04:26 PM

Hi All,

Thought it was about time I'd chime in on this one. Most of you know me around the board since pretty much the beginning (I'm user #9). I've been an Admin dealing with most of the daily public facing issues for the last year or so also. There are a lot of you that have worked with other boards in the past so you know what it takes time wise to make a board of our size run in an efficient manner. The IT resources that we were starting to draw were becoming pretty laborious for Donnie and Kyle to handle. This board has done exactly what we have wanted it to growth wise, but it was time to bring in more resources to help continue our growth curve in the manner that we've all wanted.

That being said we've all known Andy for quite awhile and definitely applaud the work he's done in building his own network in the past. We still have the same goals and objectives for WF to become the absolute best online short wheelbase jeep community that we all can make it. By having more dedicated (read full time and not heart) resources we will be able to leverage the knowledge and background to make WF a place where you all and more of your fellow jeepers will want to spend your web wheeling time.

As Donnie stated previously the, three of us aren't going anywhere. You all see me post on here because I love this community and what it stands for in the jeeping world. I'm not a "newb" at all, but I don't like how the newer folks are treated on other boards. I don't like how other boards portray themselves. I like this board, what we stand for, and the membership. Period. So please we ask you all to be patient and I gaurantee you that the changes you will see will be for the better and will greatly enhance your use of this forum.

Thank you all for being a part of our community and thank you for your understanding and support since day one. We've all learned a lot from this board, and continue to grow on a daily basis. We'd like for you all to continue that journey with us.

Janet H 12-18-2007 07:42 PM

Quote:

Who is Janet H?

No mystery - I live in eastern Washington State and help Andy out at some of his forums. I am a musician and have a small band - we tour a bit, sell CD's and hope the venue checks don't bounce too high.

The first forum I ever joined was one of Andys sites and I joined because i needed help restoring an Airstream. It's been fun to watch member driven growth at that site and I've come to love on-line communities.

I learned to drive in a Jeep. I grew up on a horse farm in western NC and we used that Jeep (Commando, early 70's, pale yellow, covered in mud and tree sap) hard! When it finally rolled over and died (literally rolled.. down the side of the mountain) it had almost 200,000 miles on it and almost no paint. Great ride!

Thanks for the warm welcome - holler if I can help in some (reasonable) way. :)

4point 12-18-2007 07:47 PM

Hello Janet, welcome to the asylum.

amy 12-18-2007 08:17 PM

Andy R and Janet H, welcome to our home-away-from-home and to our extended family. :D

02Prove 12-18-2007 09:53 PM

Howdy Janet... I smell funny but these people have welcomed me as one of their own.

Feel free to come cut up with us.

MR.CLIFFORD 12-18-2007 09:59 PM

Not another one. :(

debruins 12-19-2007 02:56 PM

hi im the one who cant spell good!

and hahahahah ur both newbs j/k
WELCOME and hope all the changes go smoothly