Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   YJ Tech Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f218/)
-   -   Fuel Tank Problems (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f218/fuel-tank-problems-141358.html)

Jurassic Wrangler 02-21-2012 09:22 PM

Fuel Tank Problems

Ok so Ive owned my 95 Sahara with 71,000 miles for almost a month now and every time I fill up I can smell gas. But today it was bad I mean real BAD like ive spilled Gallons of Gas so I crawled under and started looking at connections to every thing, (the 4 inch body lift helps inspection of the top of the Gas tank) it seems there are 2 rubber grommets with lines that go into them and the Grommets are leaking all over the top of the tank and im looking for replacements. Wondering if anyone knows where to get replacements so I can stop the leaks most likely caused by ethanol degradation, or is this a common thing for Sahara 20 Gal tanks ?

Thanks sincerely Cameron and the soon to be JURASSIC Jeep :thumb:

PaulRevere1991 02-22-2012 08:15 AM

Go to the jeep dealer, your jeep might have a recall for the fuel sending unit gasket. Thats probably not whats leaking but they have to drop the tank, it would be a good time to replace those lines and anything else thats wrong. They will usually just do it for the cost of parts. I got my fuel tank guage sending unit replaced while I was having it done

jfbilbro 02-22-2012 12:28 PM

Hey fellow Bamian....those lines go to the evap canister....i've got an old tank that i replaced with a new one when i bought my jeep back in July...the tank itself was leaking, but it still has the line hook ups that you're talking about..you're welcome to them if you wanna come pick them up.....i'm about 30 minutes south of Montgomery....only problem is i won't be home until Saturday afternoon sometime....and be leaving out again Tuesday...

Jurassic Wrangler 02-22-2012 02:03 PM

jfbilbro Im in Cullman so im 2.5 hrs away tell you what im gonna go hit the Local Dodge dealer and see if its availible if not ill hit ya up :thumb:

Garyk 02-22-2012 04:01 PM

Aren't those two fittings the rollover valves?

jfbilbro 02-22-2012 04:54 PM

dunno about the rollover thing, Garyk....but on mine the lines go to the fuel evap canister up by the firewall....they prolly are a type of valve to keep from spilling fuel in case of a rollover...some sort of check ball setup, i imagine...but when the jeep is upright ( which is how i like to keep it..lol) as far as i know all they do is vent fumes to the evap..somebody jump in and splain this to me....

jfbilbro 02-22-2012 04:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jurassic Wrangler (Post 2062044)
jfbilbro Im in Cullman so im 2.5 hrs away tell you what im gonna go hit the Local Dodge dealer and see if its availible if not ill hit ya up :thumb:

If you need em bad and can't find em at the dealer, i'll mail em to you for postage cost....

Jurassic Wrangler 02-23-2012 11:06 AM

Went to the Jeep dealer today and 11.25 each later they are on order and should be here next week. The Parts Manager said that they have had a run on em recently stocks are getting low.