Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   TJ General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f282/)
-   -   Jeep is in the shop (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f282/jeep-is-in-the-shop-141492.html)

LouieDelTorchio 02-22-2012 02:38 PM

Jeep is in the shop

Yup, my jeep has problems :/ we think its something with the transmission cause its ticking when I accelerate. Cost 100 bucks for diagnostics, the usual. They should be calling me back today. I thought wranglers were reliable :(

TJ-chopper 02-22-2012 03:01 PM

check your exhaust manifold for a crack. when under a load they sound like a ticking sound, and they are prone to carcking

Grateful Parrot 02-22-2012 03:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TJ-chopper (Post 2062034)
check your exhaust manifold for a crack. when under a load they sound like a ticking sound, and they are prone to carcking

x2. This replacement was actually my first mod. Cracked 2 weeks after I bought the used TJ. Got a nice chrome one on ebay (wasn't looking for chrome, just cheaper price).

LouieDelTorchio 02-22-2012 04:09 PM

I don't know, this sound is pretty extreme. I told my dad I thought it was an exhaust leak but he didn't think so. Let's hope I get the call today. And after that I need new tires. Wallet will be empty soon.

Mr Mac 02-22-2012 04:15 PM

^ Jeep = Just Empty Every Pocket! ;)

orange05tj 02-22-2012 05:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LouieDelTorchio
Yup, my jeep has problems :/ we think its something with the transmission cause its ticking when I accelerate. Cost 100 bucks for diagnostics, the usual. They should be calling me back today. I thought wranglers were reliable :(

Because its ticking that makes it unreliable? ? Are you kidding?

LouieDelTorchio 02-22-2012 05:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by orange05tj

Because its ticking that makes it unreliable? ? Are you kidding?

Uhm, ticking = problems. I've also had to replace the steering column which was 800 bucks. Obviously if my jeep is in the shop it has problems, hence unreliable..

techflork 02-22-2012 05:54 PM

it's a beast and will push through to the end, but you're just doing preventative stuff like you should. Stopping the problem before it gets worse. All vehicles have issues, jeeps usually have issues that are relatively small and cheap. and can be done yourself in many cases. Still the big ones have to happen someday, some jeeps sooner than others. Let us know what it is!

LouieDelTorchio 02-22-2012 06:20 PM

So they called back. Both universals need to be replaced and the transfer case is warn so they are replacing that too. $1500. Eff me.

GoldenSahara00 02-22-2012 06:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LouieDelTorchio
So they called back. Both universals need to be replaced and the transfer case is warn so they are replacing that too. $1500. Eff me.

Bull crap. You can do that yourself for a lot cheaper.

Garlandxj 02-22-2012 07:21 PM

Someone correct me if I am wrong, I am overdue for sleep, But aren't there 4 universal joints? One at each end of both drive shafts. What is worn in your transfer case exactly. The NP231 is a pretty tough case. I have only had one fail and it was my fault. (A strap from a bag caught on the 4wd lever while driving from houston to Dallas and it tried to engage 4-hi at 85 MPH) That was in my old XJ. Other than that they are rock solid. Get a second opinon.

GreenJack 02-22-2012 07:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LouieDelTorchio (Post 2062588)
Uhm, ticking = problems. I've also had to replace the steering column which was 800 bucks. Obviously if my jeep is in the shop it has problems, hence unreliable..

Jeep == Chrysler == unreliable... :)

But it IS a lot of fun...

Replacing u-joints are a piece of cake. I've replaced all of them in my Jeep. Bought a u-joint press kit from harbour freight. Made it very easy.

If I were you, I'd hold off on the transfer case. Change the u-joints yourself then see if your Jeep still has a problem. If it does then take the next step.

Good luck!

GoldenSahara00 02-22-2012 07:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Garlandxj
Someone correct me if I am wrong, I am overdue for sleep, But aren't there 4 universal joints? One at each end of both drive shafts. What is worn in your transfer case exactly. The NP231 is a pretty tough case. I have only had one fail and it was my fault. (A strap from a bag caught on the 4wd lever while driving from houston to Dallas and it tried to engage 4-hi at 85 MPH) That was in my old XJ. Other than that they are rock solid. Get a second opinon.

2 on rear 3 on front. Plus u joints in axles. Lol.

IrishFiddler 02-22-2012 08:20 PM

I just had the front DS joints replaced at a local shop (no garage at home, not a good time of year to crawl under the jeep in a parking lot). Less than $200. I would make a few calls to other shops.

Hammerdown 02-22-2012 08:30 PM

Never heard of a "ticking" transmission.

LouieDelTorchio 02-22-2012 08:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IrishFiddler
I just had the front DS joints replaced at a local shop (no garage at home, not a good time of year to crawl under the jeep in a parking lot). Less than $200. I would make a few calls to other shops.

Plus the transfer case needed to be replaced.

LouieDelTorchio 02-22-2012 08:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hammerdown
Never heard of a "ticking" transmission.

Ended up the transfer case. It was also more than ticking :/ I don't know how to describe the sound.

GoldenSahara00 02-22-2012 08:57 PM

I have seen tcases for 2-300 bucks around here.

doclouie 02-22-2012 09:03 PM

You can buy a rebuilt transfer case for under $1000, but it could be rebuilt for tons less. Sounds like you need to find a new shop. Ticking from a transfer case does not sound like you need a new one, get a second opinion. U-joints are maintenance items like brakes.

LouieDelTorchio 02-22-2012 09:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GoldenSahara00
I have seen tcases for 2-300 bucks around here.

Yea most of it is labor though. And I'm not experienced and very very lazy (don't judge) haha. Once I get my jeep back I have to get two tires cause my back ones are crazy bald!

fourty4magjr 02-22-2012 10:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GoldenSahara00 (Post 2062829)
Bull crap. You can do that yourself for a lot cheaper.

X2 most of that cost is labor why pay all that when it can be done way cheaper.

Garlandxj 02-23-2012 12:01 AM

Lazy? Come on man. I am 6' 3" and 285 lbs. If I can drag my fat arse under my Jeep, then you can too. Save some money, WORK on YOUR Jeep. That or become a techno nerd and build a small robot you can control with your X-box controller to work on it.

DevilDogDoc 02-23-2012 12:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LouieDelTorchio (Post 2063721)
Yea most of it is labor though. And I'm not experienced and very very lazy (don't judge) haha. Once I get my jeep back I have to get two tires cause my back ones are crazy bald!

People like you are why I need to open a shop.....:dance:

LouieDelTorchio 02-23-2012 12:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DevilDogDoc

People like you are why I need to open a shop.....:dance:

What do you mean.... people like me.... haha just kidding. I'm actually not that lazy but id be so lost fixing big things on myy jeep.

DevilDogDoc 02-23-2012 12:28 AM

Not ragging on you at all I just mean that I could have all you need done in about 6 hours or so in my garage, thats a hunk of money...

LouieDelTorchio 02-23-2012 12:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DevilDogDoc
Not ragging on you at all I just mean that I could have all you need done in about 6 hours or so in my garage, thats a hunk of money...

Tell me about it. The money is definatly worth my jeep though. I love my jeep. My wallet doesn't though :(

netlohcs 02-23-2012 03:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LouieDelTorchio (Post 2063721)
.... very very lazy...

Wow :rolleyes: Its hard to feel bad for you getting ripped off if thats your attitude about it :(

Jollyczar 02-23-2012 04:34 AM

Man, don't be intimidated by "big stuff" repairs. If your fellow Jeepers on WF are telling you to take care of it on your own then give it a shot. I have learned to do quite a bit with my Jeep that I had never done before, a lot of it I was petrified to begin. In the past few years I've replaced my ball joints, did a complete 4 corner brake replacement, tune up, replaced all my lug bolts (the PO had cross threaded most of them), replaced my suspension, and diagnosed/fixed various other electrical problems. They weren't always easy but I ALWAYS kept WF next to me and could count on helpful hints and valuable instruction at nearly every step of the way (look up my posts, you will see my trials and tribulations I've had along the way). The way I figured it, I "paid" myself the labor cost and used that money to buy tires and various other accessories (not to mention a few gifts here and there for the understanding wifey).

Embrace the true Jeep experience. It is one best done actively, not passively. Plus, chicks dig busted knuckles and the smell of PB Blaster!

Just my humble opinion. :)

SurfKaster 02-23-2012 08:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GreenJack (Post 2063060)
Jeep == Chrysler == unreliable... :)

But it IS a lot of fun...

Replacing u-joints are a piece of cake. I've replaced all of them in my Jeep. Bought a u-joint press kit from harbour freight. Made it very easy.

If I were you, I'd hold off on the transfer case. Change the u-joints yourself then see if your Jeep still has a problem. If it does then take the next step.

Good luck!

X2. They're not as hard as you might think. Forums & youtube are your friend. When you see how cheap the parts are you just might want to give it a shot. Plus there's great satisfaction knowing you did it yourself & saved a ton of $$$.

BigThunder 02-23-2012 09:08 AM

If you are dead set on spending $1500, spend $1000 on good tools, and the other $500 on a t-case, u joints and lots of beer. If you're not willing to learn or do it yourself, then you can prepare on predatory shops taking your last dime. Hate to jump on the wagon here, but soldier up and get it done.