Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   TJ General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f282/)
-   -   Rough Country 3.25 Lift kit (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f282/rough-country-3-25-lift-kit-141581.html)

MGw 02-22-2012 08:32 PM

Rough Country 3.25 Lift kit
 
Hi everybody. I am currently running a 2000 Sahara edition. I was looking at putting a 3.25 Rough Country lift in. I don't do any thing hard core, just a little mudding here and there. I was wondering if anyone had any problems with this lift kit or has anything to say about it? I was planning on buying the adjustable trac bar so I wouldn't have to drill a new hole. I appreciate any ideas or anything that relates to the lift! Thanks!

I-Want-A-Jeep 02-22-2012 08:40 PM

Around here you won't see much love for Rough Country. You gotta look at your needs. I should be getting my RC 3.25 kit tomorrow. I don't offroad and dont drive much.. I just wanted to fit 33s cheaply and this kit will accomplish this. Some around here are too offroad snobby to offer any alternatives at the same price point.

TXST8tj 02-23-2012 10:14 AM

Other than extended bumpstops, it is a complete kit. You'll read praise and hate for their 2.2 shocks. Shocks are completely in the eye of the beholder. It's like stereo speakers....what one person hears is not what another hears. Shocks are the same way....what is stiff to you is soft to another. Sometimes you just have to trial and error your way through these things.

Aside from the extended bumpstops not being included (but needed), you're getting a decent "box kit" setup. If RC would just include the bumpstops that they offer as an add-on option, there would be a lot less RC hate. Not liking the shocks is too personal to be a reasonable factor.

People focus on the fact that they don't include $10-$15 worth of bumpstops and that seems to overshadow the fact that you're getting coils, shocks, spacers, f/r swaybar links, rear trackbar bracket, and tcase drop all for a price way below the competition. Add in the $10-$15 for bumpstops and you're still WAY cheaper than any other kit out there....with a lifetime warranty.

The way I personally look at any of these "box kits" is that they are just a starting point to build from. They give you what you need to get on the road with a lift, but are far from perfect. They do get the job done for probably 80% of Jeepers out there, but for the rest of us, they are just the tip of the iceberg.

It's important to ME to buy properly tuned coil springs and shocks for my personal Jeep, as well as adjustable control arms and properly setup trackbars, etc, etc. However, the RC 3.25" kit is perfectly suited as-is for the majority of people out there. That kit is not designed to be everything to everyone, but it's a good start.

Grateful Parrot 02-23-2012 11:45 AM

Have you looked at the zone 3" kit? It includes the bump stops. I'm going with the zone, because there seem to be more people against the RC shocks. In my case, if I need more lift than that, I'll slap on a 1"bl. But for me, I don't think I'll need it. I'm in the market for new tires, but gas prices could be a factor in my size decision.

However, I agree with I-wanna-jeep on some here being off-road snobs and think everyone should extensive research and buy piece by piece. It really depends on your usage.

MGw 02-23-2012 06:19 PM

I'm really just looking to be able to clear 33s with a decent lift. The price point of the Rough Country is what attracts me to it,but I also understand that you get what you pay for. My jeep is pretty much for on road excursions and not much else. I will looking into the 3" zone kit though Grateful Parrot.

Richey81 02-24-2012 12:35 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I have the 3.25 rc with 1.25bl and 35's. It's been good for me, but like stated above the lift is all personal preference. You can get bad issues out of all lifts cheap or expensive. It's up too mostly I like my rc lift but then again I haven't ran anything else or had any issues but you never know I may get off work today and on my way home break a spring, shock, etc...

Attachment 99530

MGw 02-25-2012 11:10 AM

Thanks for the pic Richey81. I love your jeep. I'm going for a similar look but not as high. Its good to hear that someone likes their Rough Country lift lol

adawg38 02-25-2012 12:04 PM

Love my RC 3.25" stayed with 31" MT's but my buddy went with 33" MTR's. No issues for either one of us and I have had my lift for almost 2 years. When I first bought it they had a bad batch of 2.2 shocks that leaked but their customer service has been awesome and replaced them all and no probs since. Just stay away from their old style quick discos. My buddy got the new ones and they seem to be doing better than the old ones.

http://i748.photobucket.com/albums/x...hoto0248-1.jpg

siafu 02-25-2012 12:22 PM

This is my kind of thread. I am grouped in with the "cheap" lift guys and went with the Zone 3" lift for my DD. I did also add on an adjustable track bar so I wouldn't have to drill the other hole that everyone says will rip out after time as well as a steering stabilizer. I am currently running 31's and will soon upgrade to 33's. This jeep is my Daily Driver and I don't plan on doing extensive rock crawling, but trail riding and the occasional group run is what I do. Look into the Zone 3" lift, Allen at AOR (vendor here) gives great prices below everyone else.

I-Want-A-Jeep 02-25-2012 12:36 PM

Nice jeep Dawg! Care to share some more pictures of different angles?? I almost ordered 31's to go on my 3.25 RC kit but I ordered 33's instead. I was kinda worried the 31's would look too small but it doesn't appear to be the case with your jeep. Looks good!!

Quote:

Originally Posted by adawg38 (Post 2073098)
Love my RC 3.25" stayed with 31" MT's but my buddy went with 33" MTR's. No issues for either one of us and I have had my lift for almost 2 years. When I first bought it they had a bad batch of 2.2 shocks that leaked but their customer service has been awesome and replaced them all and no probs since. Just stay away from their old style quick discos. My buddy got the new ones and they seem to be doing better than the old ones.

http://i748.photobucket.com/albums/x...hoto0248-1.jpg


I-Want-A-Jeep 02-25-2012 02:05 PM

^^ also, looking at it again, it kinda looks like your jeep has the raised rear-end look. Did you leave a set of isolators out of the front or is that from the way it's parked?

adawg38 02-25-2012 04:01 PM

That is just the way it is parked out in front of my drive. I had BFG AT's on her before my Firestone Destination MT's. They looked a little small so if you stayed with 31's I think MT's is needed but with my buddy's and 33's it's solid with the bigger tires it just looks like it needs just a tad bit more lift.

http://i748.photobucket.com/albums/x...hoto0158-1.jpg
http://i748.photobucket.com/albums/x.../Photo0259.jpg
http://i748.photobucket.com/albums/x.../Photo0491.jpg
http://i748.photobucket.com/albums/x.../Photo0492.jpg
http://i748.photobucket.com/albums/x.../Photo0493.jpg

MGw 03-04-2012 10:32 AM

adawg38 did you have any problems putting in the lift? or was it pretty self explanatory?

adawg38 03-04-2012 02:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MGw (Post 2101237)
adawg38 did you have any problems putting in the lift? or was it pretty self explanatory?

Pretty easy, took about 6 hours. I do not recc drilling for the front trac bar. If the axle is offset get an adj front trac bar.

Overthink 03-04-2012 02:57 PM

Dont forget abt the brake lines, if you disconnect the sway bars for offroading. That kit doesnt included extended lines or brackets.

MGw 03-05-2012 06:14 PM

Overthink I don't plan on wheeling my jeep really, just for the looks of 33's on my jeep.

TjinaTj 03-06-2013 03:47 PM

Do the 33 inch tires rub at all with the 3.25 RC lift?

I-Want-A-Jeep 03-06-2013 06:44 PM

I have the 3.25 and 33's and haven't rubbed at all..

cbush1885 03-06-2013 06:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TXST8tj (Post 2065894)
Other than extended bumpstops, it is a complete kit. You'll read praise and hate for their 2.2 shocks. Shocks are completely in the eye of the beholder. It's like stereo speakers....what one person hears is not what another hears. Shocks are the same way....what is stiff to you is soft to another. Sometimes you just have to trial and error your way through these things.

Aside from the extended bumpstops not being included (but needed), you're getting a decent "box kit" setup. If RC would just include the bumpstops that they offer as an add-on option, there would be a lot less RC hate. Not liking the shocks is too personal to be a reasonable factor.

People focus on the fact that they don't include $10-$15 worth of bumpstops and that seems to overshadow the fact that you're getting coils, shocks, spacers, f/r swaybar links, rear trackbar bracket, and tcase drop all for a price way below the competition. Add in the $10-$15 for bumpstops and you're still WAY cheaper than any other kit out there....with a lifetime warranty.


The way I personally look at any of these "box kits" is that they are just a starting point to build from. They give you what you need to get on the road with a lift, but are far from perfect. They do get the job done for probably 80% of Jeepers out there, but for the rest of us, they are just the tip of the iceberg.

It's important to ME to buy properly tuned coil springs and shocks for my personal Jeep, as well as adjustable control arms and properly setup trackbars, etc, etc. However, the RC 3.25" kit is perfectly suited as-is for the majority of people out there. That kit is not designed to be everything to everyone, but it's a good start.

i was under the impression that you did not need the bumpstops with the 2.2 shocks because the shocks act as bumpstops them selft... check on the bottom of the shock there is a rubber stop that will stop the uptravel of the wheel well before the factory bump stop would hit

krisbman 03-06-2013 07:16 PM

Ive got the rc 3.25 kit also. It serves its purpose for me, im runnin 33 12.50 15's.

Attachment 218924

djjd76 03-06-2013 07:34 PM

How underpowered do you feel running the 33s? I have a 98 Jeep Wrangler with the 2.5, and I was told that Im going to need to re-gear when I add the 33s...

krisbman 03-06-2013 07:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by djjd76 (Post 3468461)
How underpowered do you feel running the 33s? I have a 98 Jeep Wrangler with the 2.5, and I was told that Im going to need to re-gear when I add the 33s...

Im fine only have to shift down to fourth on the steep hills. I have the 4.0 but im not sure of my gear ratio yet.

hartleybiker 03-07-2013 07:33 AM

I put the RC 3.25" on my Jeep last week and I'm fairly pleased. I bought/bartered for it used on Craigslist so for $25 I can't really complain. I got an alignment done before I took it out on the road, but man it is REALLY SQUIRRELY. I'm sure that has something to do with not having a sway bar or rear shocks! (broke all the upper shock bolts, fixing that soon) As for the shocks (front), they seem to ride well and aren't as harsh as I'd read about and they are a LOT beefier looking than the stock ones. I cleared 33 x 12.5 Cooper STT's using 1.25" wheel spacers and no rubbing yet. Someone mentioned that the shock has those rubber bumpers that take the place of a bumpstop- that would mean all that force would be put on your shock mounts and I wouldn't advise that. I am going to get longer bumpstops before I wheel it. As for the brake lines, mine had slack at full droop, however my rear axle breather will need to be lengthened, so check that too. Also, I HAD to use a strut compressor to install all four coils during my install so have one handy. Good luck!!!

hartleybiker 03-07-2013 07:37 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Here is how mine turned out.

baker3 03-07-2013 07:43 AM

Im in the process of installing this kit and wanted to see if anyone has a winch mounted and if there was any sag.

cbush1885 03-07-2013 07:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by baker3 (Post 3470947)
Im in the process of installing this kit and wanted to see if anyone has a winch mounted and if there was any sag.

Yes
4 inch lift but had to add spacers in thefront to sit level

Patrick H 03-07-2013 08:22 AM

Quote:

i was under the impression that you did not need the bumpstops with the 2.2 shocks because the shocks act as bumpstops them selft... check on the bottom of the shock there is a rubber stop that will stop the uptravel of the wheel well before the factory bump stop would hit
It doesn't have anything to do with the shocks themselves. The factory shock mounts and shock absorber bar pins aren't designed to hold the weight of the Jeep....Which is what happens when you use the shock absorber as the compression-limiting device.

TILLER 03-07-2013 11:41 AM

just installed mine yesterday and my winch. not sure if i was supposed to leave the original rubber spacers in the front but i did and the jeep sits level with my winch and aftermarket bumper

got some vibes even with the tc drop so i will need to address that

TXST8tj 03-07-2013 11:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cbush1885 (Post 3468178)
i was under the impression that you did not need the bumpstops with the 2.2 shocks because the shocks act as bumpstops them selft... check on the bottom of the shock there is a rubber stop that will stop the uptravel of the wheel well before the factory bump stop would hit

Definitely not. The rubber bumpers (not bumpstops) do not function as bumpstops. They will not prevent overcompression of the shocks as rubber easily compresses under load.

A functional bumpstop is hard. Rubber just acts to slow the transfer of energy...before stopping at the hard bumpstops.

Patrick H 03-07-2013 02:35 PM

Actually, the functional bump stop is soft, and will compress all the way into the bump stop cup. It's an active component of the suspension.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:42 AM.


User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.1.0 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2015 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.