Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   Michigan Jeep Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f86/)
-   -   Grand Traverse/Wexford/Kalkaska/Manistee Counties (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f86/grand-traverse-wexford-kalkaska-manistee-counties-141670.html)

Dr Gonzo 02-23-2012 09:39 AM

Grand Traverse/Wexford/Kalkaska/Manistee Counties

Who all is from the NW corer of the state in the Traverse City region? I need some good trail tips. I'm getting kind of bored with my regular stomping ground around Williamsburg (about a 15 mile radius from the intersection of Supply Rd and Williamsburg Rd), plus I keep accidentally running into the Quiet Area and the VASA Trail.... big no-nos if the DNR happen to be out and about.

I need some new area to explore.

JitneyJ 02-23-2012 12:20 PM

I don't live up there (yet), but have some property near Thompsonville. Have you ever just ridden around the so-called "roads" in Benzie county? Stop by the Chamber of Commerce there in Beulah and pick up a map. Many of the roads are no more than seasonal two tracks, but take you through lots of nice areas. Half the time you're the only one out there, except for the occasional hunter.

99jeeper 02-24-2012 09:01 AM

hey! well i live alittle south of you,by baxtor bridge.theres alot of two tracks around here that go for miles!theres a trail by here that will go all the way to houghtn lake.

Dr Gonzo 02-24-2012 04:41 PM

Baxter Bridge... is that on Mewatauka rd? I don't know the numbers on the roads in Wexford.

99jeeper 02-26-2012 03:51 PM

ya, its got alot of names,baxtor bridge rd,31rd, on the south of 42(witch is now 16rd.)its mewatauka rd,or 29rd. county wants to keep ya on your toes i guess!

droptyne69 04-30-2012 09:11 AM

live in the u.p. now, grew up in kingsley, lived in thompsonville, and visit mancelona area ...so, i know a couple trails in those areas... if you go to the "hoosier vally" area there used to be some good trails... i lost interest in that area tho cus it gets ran alot.. try around summit city, baxter bridge area.. and like jitneyj said most of benzie county is good riding... although the cops n dnr can be kinda douchy there... if your not ripping her up too bad they wont usualy harass you.. used to love driven around your area... sand lks and such..

michaelbrandonw 04-30-2012 11:55 PM

I recently moved up to TC from NYC and have been looking for some trails as well. I'm up on old mission.

Dr Gonzo 05-10-2012 12:34 PM

44.694285,-85.407035 Pop that into google maps. What appears as "North Branch Rd" is actually Dead Horse Rd right there (North Branch is on the other side of the river). All of the two tracks running south from Dead Horse Rd lead to a trail that follows the north branch of the Boardman River. Where Dead Horse Rd Ts off into Broomhead, about 1/10th of a mile south you'll find Guernsey road, which also follows the river and leads to all sorts of cool two tracks and little lakes.