Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   JK General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/)
-   -   Bad dealer or am I a pain in butt? (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/bad-dealer-or-am-i-a-pain-in-butt-141700.html)

Bsears155 02-23-2012 11:37 AM

Bad dealer or am I a pain in butt?

So here goes... Ordered a 2012 BFG JKU Rubicon (pretty much fully loaded) on 2/13. Total price is about 39.3k (I didn't hear about tread lightly till afterwards).

Anyway. Since I placed my order I get the feeling my dealer is blowing me off. I asked him on 2/14 if I could make a change to my order... On 2/16 he got back to me and said that it was too late and that I couldn't. On 2/20 I asked him if my VIN and or VON were available yet and 3 days later he still hasn't gotten back to me. I tried again this morning and still no response.

I'm real close to just eating the $500 deposit on the order and going somewhere else. Am I being unreasonable? I understand his priority is going to be responding to potential new orders (before I placed the order he always got back to me within 30 mins...) but still I would expect some kind of reply even if it's "sorry Bob the VIN/VON is not ready yet".

So I guess 2 questions: first is this guy a bad dealer and should I be upset (or am i being impatient)? And second, if I do decide to go else where is it worth it to signup for a TL membership (like about how much would I save from the 39.3k for a fully loaded?

Thanks all

iNtErNeT_rYaN 02-23-2012 11:40 AM

I would first express your concerns.

You are fine, and reasonable. I'm pretty sure every state requires a return of deposit, should you need to go that route.
Yes sign up for Treadlightly, that's a great discount from MSRP and it's 1% below Dealer Invioce.
If you have a trade shop around.

strider_mt2k 02-23-2012 11:41 AM

500 smackers will buy alot of mods...try patience.
It's the least sought-after alternative.

slpnbyu 02-23-2012 11:41 AM

The VON is available as soon as they enter the order. I walked out of the dealership with that in-hand when we ordered ours on 2/8.

Once you have the VON and you get your change order in before the Jeep goes into production you can probably leave the dealer alone until it arrives.

I went through this two years ago when I ordered my last car. It's a tough wait, but I've learned you are better off tracking it yourself (if you are going to bother tracking it) instead of bugging the Dealer.

daggo66 02-23-2012 11:41 AM

It seems pretty simple to me. Since you want to make a change anyway, simply cancel that order and place a new one with the same dealer using the TL/Chrylser Affiliate program. You shouldn't lose any deposit. Stop bugging him for VON and VIN. Who the F cares? It will be there when it gets there, otherwise buy one from the lot.

Griffman 02-23-2012 11:47 AM

Ordered a BFG on Jan 14th. Took a while to get a VIN. I was wondering the same thing on the deposit. Are they required to return it if you change your mind? what about when it is in production? Does the same apply, I would assume not, but they can resell it either way. My dealer had no information for about 2 weeks, then i finally got a VIN number out of them. It was only once i called the manager, that it "magically" came in the system that day. Either way, wait it out if you can, but i am still wondering about the options to change your mind if someon should deceide too. I have a shipment date of MArch 7th now, so i am comitted 100% as the wait is close, but just curious.

I am also curious about when the jeep arrives what your options are in case it is missing things or it is not what you ordered.

Bsears155 02-23-2012 12:09 PM

Fair enough. Thanks everyone for the responses. Sounds like at very least I should have my VON so that I can track it myself....

Patience has never been a strong characteristic of mine but I'm trying. I waited till my trade in was on its last leg to finally take the leap, and now I'm hoping it survives long enough to get the Jeep!

I wanted to just buy off the lot, but the only Rubi's I find are COD ones. I'd be ok with it since I could always remove the video game stuff but none that I found has the max tow package which is a must for me.

Guess I'll give the dealer more slack (for now), and wait and see what happens.

4fit 02-23-2012 12:34 PM

If it were me, I would cancel that order and start a new one with the TL discount, just like daggo suggested. You could save a rather substantial bit of money.

c0d3x5 02-23-2012 01:06 PM

this is my 2 cent.. too many dealers today have no concern about u, they just want ur money.... saddly it should be the other way around... a forty thousand dollars is a pretty big investment.. i think if im the one spending the money they should be treating me and if they cant do that, then i would move on.. simple as that..

i had similar experience with toyota, when we were looking for a car for my fiance'

i was ready pay cash for a car,
and they had no concern how i wanted to conduct business, it was toyotas way or the highway,, so i chose highway ..

shrkbyte731 02-23-2012 01:06 PM

waiting on vin/von

I just sold my wifes '10 jku and ordered her a '12 jku in dozer (Feb 8th). I also work for a dealership in the northeast. It took a week for the order to be picked up to BG status (good order), and then another 3-4 days to D -D1 (scheduled for production, estimated ship date,vin assigned) We actually did not have allocation for the unit, and found out later that my zone rep. pushed an extra allocation our way. Sold orders normally get preference with an order as opposed to stock. So, its possible your factory order was sitting waiting for allocation, or the BG to D or D1 was taking awhile. That being said, there is no excuse for a dealer not replying back to you same day or at the least in 24 hours (might have had a day off) Hope this helps.

Bsears155 02-23-2012 01:29 PM

Either way I think 3 days is too long to wait to get back to a customer. Going to give him till Monday (one week since I first tried to get a hold of him).

I'm going to see if he's willing to renegotiate the price with me on the current order with the TL membership that way I don't have to cancel the order. If he's not willing I'll make a new one (with my change) with him or someone else if he's upset and me doing this. The change i requested wasn't a big deal. Wasn't prepared for the choice between 430 and 730 nav. Change my mind later but again that was low on my list of must haves.

Wish I had more patience... The wait is killing me. Been wanting a jeep for years and now I'm so close lol.

daggo66 02-23-2012 01:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by c0d3x5 (Post 2066359)
i was ready pay cash for a car,

Getting a better deal for paying cash is a myth. Dealer's actually prefer financing, especially if it's through them.

MarshallbrewJK 02-23-2012 01:44 PM

Did you sign something that says your deposit is non-refundable? Don't let them tell you that it's not refundable. They need to have a contract written in writing that it's not refundable and you signed. If they can't produce something, get your $500 and go somewhere else.

pat@fieldsauto.com 02-23-2012 01:44 PM

If you would like help tracking your Jeep, you can PM your VON once you get it and I can tell you where it is in the system.

I would speak to the manager, chances are he'll take the TL/affiliate rewards number on your current order. The dealership would much rather have your sale done asap.

Bsears155 02-23-2012 01:48 PM

Thanks Pat. The main problem is the dealer not returning my call and either giving me the VON or saying that it's not in yet.

I'm hopeful I can figure out the online tracking tool once I get that.

pat@fieldsauto.com 02-23-2012 01:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bsears155 (Post 2066453)
Thanks Pat. The main problem is the dealer not returning my call and either giving me the VON or saying that it's not in yet.

I'm hopeful I can figure out the online tracking tool once I get that.

the dealer has the VON. he gets it as soon as he places the order. I would call again and tell him you need the VON. It's not that hard to find.

JKatfish 02-23-2012 01:59 PM

The should be able to change your order, I added some option 2 days after my order was actually placed. Not always the case tho. Unless you ordered some weird option combination, you should be able to place a new order.

kerryva 02-23-2012 02:47 PM

I went through the same thing in getting the VON on 12/12 when I placed my order. After 5 days, I called Jeep Customer Service and told them I was concerned that I had been scammed and they were able to get my VON within 2 hours. Getting the VIN was hell, but that is dependent on build cycles, etc. Needless to say, my JK-Rubicon arrived yesterday and I'm picking it up tomorrow. Good luck!

j0nx 02-23-2012 02:52 PM

There is no such thing as pain in the butt customers. Only unresponsive, inattentive dealers. When you spend $35k+ on a vehicle then you deserve to be treated cordially and promptly and if the dealer isn't able or willing to do that then maybe they should pick a new line of work?

Bsears155 02-23-2012 02:56 PM

Update:
Basically threatened to go over the dealers head and start calling mangers etc. got a call back with my VIN and my VON.

Asked him about the TL discount and said that if I sign up for it now. He can apply the discount at the time I pick up the Jeep.

Thanks everyone for letting me vent earlier. Sounds like a little tough love is all that was needed!

real4x4 02-23-2012 03:42 PM

^^ sounds like your salesman might need a little lesson in customer service ^^

MudderNuker 02-23-2012 03:48 PM

Hi every one, this is my first post here (yes, I will introduce myself shortly). I am the proud owner of a 2012 Unlimited Sahara Black Forest Green and I got it $500 under invoice. Not the best deal but I think better than Tread Lightly. I asked the dealer about the TL discount and they replied by telling me that if I was a Costco member they would give me $500 under invoice which in my case came to about 1.4% under invoice plus they paid my trade and gave me 3 years of oil changes. No negative equity.

Just wanted to throw this out there as another option.

c0d3x5 02-23-2012 03:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by daggo66 (Post 2066414)
Getting a better deal for paying cash is a myth. Dealer's actually prefer financing, especially if it's through them.

who said anyone was looking for a better deal?

Mabar 02-23-2012 03:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by j0nx (Post 2066665)
There is no such thing as pain in the butt customers........

Obviously, you have never worked in retail. Not saying that "this" person is a pain in the butt, but there ARE pain in the butt customers.

Mabar

Mabar 02-23-2012 04:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by j0nx (Post 2066665)
When you spend $35k+ on a vehicle then you deserve to be treated cordially and promptly......

You should be treated cordially and promptly regardless of the price. Spending 35K+ has absolutely no relation to the manner in which you should be treated.

If that line of reasoning is correct, then if you only spend $33K, should you expect poor service? How about $25K?

Mabar

Bsears155 02-23-2012 04:03 PM

I agree Mabar. I don't work in retail but I do deal with customers. Honestly I'm sure I was a bit of a pain by contacting him twice after the deal was done, but that still doesn't mean he should blow me off. He did apologize though which was enough to satisfy me. Said he was busy on Monday since it was Presidents Day and then had forgotten about calling me back.

c0d3x5 02-23-2012 04:04 PM

its not the customer.. its just the people...

jp2611 02-23-2012 04:04 PM

There's Pat again showing us how things SHOULD be done! Wish I had thought about that before I bought off the lot here in town...but I do like my new Jeep...now if I was ordering one.....drive home from Northern ILL wouldn't be bad...and maybe save enough to buy the plane ticket!!

schnizdawg 02-23-2012 04:45 PM

Go ahead and hate me for saying this... Most car dealerships are only good to customers until you make a commitment and cannot back out, or at least feel like you cannot back out even when you legally can. If you don't move often, locate a good dealer in your area and stick with them. Then call Chrysler and fill out every customer comment card and survey you can to keep the good dealers in business and shut down the A-hole dealers.

Dr Gonzo 02-23-2012 05:10 PM

The sales rep at my dealership was all on top of things before I ordered... but he's also an incredibly busy guy. I understand that the few questions I've had post-order were not time sensitive, nor really what I'd call "important." I didn't hear from him for 3 days once, and decided to stop in... he had one person at his desk, a couple standing in the lobby waiting to talk to him, and a phone call on both his office phone and cell phone at the same time. So I cut him some slack.