Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   General Jeep Discussion (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f19/)
-   -   Wd-40 (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f19/wd-40-a-14176.html)

Darton 12-19-2007 07:30 AM

Wd-40

OK i'v heard alot of talk around the web about WD-40 not doing it's intended job. What's the deal? Is this true? Why? Also I've heard it's "only" good for drying things out. How do you use it to dry things out?

02Prove 12-19-2007 07:51 AM

2000 uses of WD-40...

http://www.wd40.com/pdfs/WD-40_2000UsesList.pdf

skeeter 12-19-2007 07:56 AM

According to a buddy of mine that worked for SDG&E WD-40 was developed to displace water in electronics, it does that very well. I've used it numerous times when an engine has been swamped. I take the distributor cap off and spray the inside liberally and it clears up the misfiring.
It can also stop squeaks and makes a good gun cleaning solvent.

MCG 12-19-2007 09:46 AM

I did some research on WD-40.com and this is wat i found so far:
It took them 40 attempts to get the water displacing formula worked out. But they must have been really good, because the original secret formula for WD-40—which stands for Water Displacement perfected on the 40th try—is still in use today.

Convair, an aerospace contractor, first used WD-40 to protect the outer skin of the Atlas Missile from rust and corrosion. The product actually worked so well that several employees snuck some WD-40 cans out of the plant to use at home............... :rolleyes:

cherokee980 12-19-2007 10:18 AM

I think it smells good!!!

JCS05Rubi 12-19-2007 11:36 AM

Ya, its good for what it was meant for, and much much more, but many people try and use it as a penetrating lube or grease. Works for a little bit, but not what it was originally designed for, and thats why you hear all the "WD40 DOESNT WORK" bs on the internet.

MOz 12-19-2007 11:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JCS05Rubi (Post 173685)
Ya, its good for what it was meant for, and much much more, but many people try and use it as a penetrating lube or grease. Works for a little bit, but not what it was originally designed for, and thats why you hear all the "WD40 DOESNT WORK" bs on the internet.

It's just the new marketing techniques form the competitiors nowadays to bash the other guys product and make theirs look better.

WD40 works great for general purpose. However, if you are trying to loosen a rusted fastener, PB or CRC is the way to go if you prefer not to wait.

DesertX 12-19-2007 12:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MCG (Post 173647)
I did some research on WD-40.com and this is wat i found so far:
It took them 40 attempts to get the water displacing formula worked out. But they must have been really good, because the original secret formula for WD-40—which stands for Water Displacement perfected on the 40th try—is still in use today.

Convair, an aerospace contractor, first used WD-40 to protect the outer skin of the Atlas Missile from rust and corrosion. The product actually worked so well that several employees snuck some WD-40 cans out of the plant to use at home............... :rolleyes:

I saw an episode of Modern Marvels about WD40. They had no plans to market it to the general public, until they found so much "missing."

Odhinn 12-19-2007 07:42 PM

MCG is right. I seem to remember something about wd-40 standing for Water Displacement 40th attempt. Works great for displacing water and a temperary quick lube on drill bits during fab work if you have no oil around. Everyone will have their own opinion about it like everything else on the web. I always have a can in the garage and use it for a few things including throwing it at the mouse that has been eluding me for 2 months now.

Darton 12-19-2007 08:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Odhinn (Post 173844)
including throwing it at the mouse that has been eluding me for 2 months now.

Two months?!?!?! Man he's earned his right to stay.

chucky cheese 12-19-2007 09:07 PM

W D stands for WON'T and DON'T

Odhinn 12-20-2007 09:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Darton (Post 173866)
Two months?!?!?! Man he's earned his right to stay.

He eluded our new cat last night. I was excited when the cat went on the hunt but it ended up being like a scene from Tom and Jerry. The cat chased it around the chair and waited while the mouse ran out the other side to freedom. I just shrugged and started to think of names for the mouse.

Darton 12-20-2007 11:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Odhinn (Post 174008)
He eluded our new cat last night. I was excited when the cat went on the hunt but it ended up being like a scene from Tom and Jerry. The cat chased it around the chair and waited while the mouse ran out the other side to freedom. I just shrugged and started to think of names for the mouse.

Name him "Eugene"
http://i160.photobucket.com/albums/t...2/untitled.jpg

skeeter 12-20-2007 11:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Odhinn (Post 174008)

:rofl:
We've got one in the living room that's been pissing me off, Little bastage actually eats the peanut butter off the traps without setting them off. :mad:

amy 12-20-2007 12:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by skeeter (Post 174050)
:rofl:
We've got one in the living room that's been pissing me off, Little bastage actually eats the peanut butter off the traps without setting them off. :mad:

But, Honey, it's soooo cuuuuute! :p
I think our boy has been helping it out so his rubber rat will have a friend.

WD-40 is also good for getting rid of yellowjackets. When I was a kid, we had a nest of them between the wall and siding of our house. My brother shot some WD-40 into the tiny lil crack they were getting in and out from and, the ones that didn't die on the spot, flew away and never came back. And, the back porch had that pleasant WD-40 smell for months. :D