Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   JK General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/)
-   -   Just picked up a 12 Sahara 6spd in MD (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/just-picked-up-a-12-sahara-6spd-in-md-142337.html)

dbr12 02-26-2012 08:37 AM

Just picked up a 12 Sahara 6spd in MD

Picked up a 12 Sahara 6spd, Dual top, Black in Parkville, was a Farrish car that got exchanged. Traded a 10 and so far the difference is very noticeable.

After reading the threads I am hoping I don't get a ticker with the head issue since the main reason I traded up was for the supposed reliability of the pentastar and the refinements.

Adding mats and maybe some minor upgrades as I read through and see the possibilities on this site.

DB

4fit 02-26-2012 08:40 AM

Congrats on the purchase and welcome to the site!

jmb6420 02-26-2012 08:40 AM

Congrats on your jeep. Just remember as you read these forums, for every complaint about something, there are possibly thousands of jeep owners that don't have that problem. People come here to 'fix and discuss' problems, so most of the threads are just that.... about problems.

Enjoy the jeep and welcome to the forum.

dbr12 02-26-2012 09:01 AM

This is probably my 6th jeep starting from the 90s with various 6cyl wranglers, sports, and rubis. I went to the MY10 unlimited to get that suv like size with the fortitude of the jeep. That jeep served us well for 80k miles with no dealer issue maintenance other than oil changes every 5kish (which I did).

So on a whim I decide to look at the 12 Unlimited with the hopes of keeping it longer and having more piece of mind, the 3.8 pinged and rattled quite a bit through its life.

I did have a SRT8 Cherokee in 07 that I couldnt keep out of the dealership for repairs but that's another story, exchanged that for a Shelby.

Thinking about upgrading the warranty, saw the lifetime option, dealer advises $2300, any thoughts on that? Through Geico I can get 100k for a 120 a year.

kbwwolf 02-26-2012 09:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dbr12 (Post 2075773)
This is probably my 6th jeep starting from the 90s with various 6cyl wranglers, sports, and rubis. I went to the MY10 unlimited to get that suv like size with the fortitude of the jeep. That jeep served us well for 80k miles with no dealer issue maintenance other than oil changes every 5kish (which I did).

So on a whim I decide to look at the 12 Unlimited with the hopes of keeping it longer and having more piece of mind, the 3.8 pinged and rattled quite a bit through its life.

I did have a SRT8 Cherokee in 07 that I couldnt keep out of the dealership for repairs but that's another story, exchanged that for a Shelby.

Thinking about upgrading the warranty, saw the lifetime option, dealer advises $2300, any thoughts on that? Through Geico I can get 100k for a 120 a year.

PM Pat@FieldsAuto.com. He's a forum member who sells Jeeps in Chicago...he can give you all the ins and outs of an extended warranty.

If you feel the need for it, then get it. :thumb:

PA ARCTIC 02-26-2012 09:39 AM

:thumb: welcome to the cult.

cmg427 02-26-2012 09:44 AM

Congrats. It seems the warranty is said to be worth it if you plan on keeping it forever (non transferable) and if you got the Nav

jimmysmith 02-26-2012 09:47 AM

Welcome and grats on the 2012, traded my 2010 jku also for a 12 and have no regrets and no issues so far

daggo66 02-26-2012 02:22 PM

I'm curious why your reason for trading would be the "supposed reliability" of the 3.6, as you put it. No one knows what the reliability will be yet. The 3.8 has a long history of reliability. It would make sense if you said you were trading for the increased HP, but not reliability.

dbr12 02-26-2012 03:07 PM

Was hoping for both reliability and the extra hp. The review sites touted the 1 million built and the increased power and smooth operation of the penta star. Also figured if the motor is putting out more hp more efficiently it should carry the truck better.

I did initially think this motor came out in 11, and was wrong on that. I might have waited another year to let things sort themselves out. Too late now, I am in it now.

Figured if my payment was the same or lower the pluses were the motor, slight new interior, the leather, and few other small odds and ends it was worth the upgrade.