Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   JK General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/)
-   -   how long does it take to shift into 4wheel high (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/how-long-does-it-take-to-shift-into-4wheel-high-142341.html)

cocky grin 02-26-2012 08:49 AM

how long does it take to shift into 4wheel high
 
so my 07 jk takes a good 20-30secs after pulling the shifter lever gear puller device...idk is there a real name for it? :rolleyes:... while in my moms 2010 jku it instantly goes into 4hi after pulling it down

is it just that mines older or should i be looking into some kind of problem?
thanks!
Joey

jeepkingtn 02-26-2012 09:07 AM

My 09 shifted right in and so does my 12.

dwindeck 02-26-2012 09:12 AM

??? They're all the same, on wranglers.

Beastmaster 02-26-2012 09:12 AM

I have an '07 JKU and it shifts immediately. I am not sure of your problem, hopefully someone smarter than me will chime in.

kbwwolf 02-26-2012 09:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cocky grin (Post 2075744)
so my 07 jk takes a good 20-30secs after pulling the shifter lever gear puller device...idk is there a real name for it? :rolleyes:... while in my moms 2010 jku it instantly goes into 4hi after pulling it down

is it just that mines older or should i be looking into some kind of problem?
thanks!
Joey

The transfer case shifter? It should go right into 4wd. You wanna be moving a few mph when you shift to help the tcase shafts mesh.

dwindeck 02-26-2012 09:14 AM

Or are you just going by when the dash light is lit?

cocky grin 02-26-2012 09:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dwindeck
Or are you just going by when the dash light is lit?

Yea I'm going by the dash light. I'm thinking it may just be laggy but idk I just wanted to make sure

dwindeck 02-26-2012 09:22 AM

If the action of the shift lever feels normal (like the other jeeps) then I would say it's just an elec. delay to the light. It's an all mechanically engaged system.

IP0VV3R 02-26-2012 09:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cocky grin

Yea I'm going by the dash light. I'm thinking it may just be laggy but idk I just wanted to make sure

The light is most likely delayed. Mine has a few second delay, you just have to listen for it to change

cocky grin 02-26-2012 09:45 AM

Gottcha gottcha thanks everyone!

Megafriday 02-26-2012 09:51 AM

0.037 seconds

dacritterguy 02-26-2012 11:27 AM

Hoping I could pop this question in as I saw kbwwolf's comment about being in motion when shifting to 4WH.....and I've only had my jeep 5 months now (LOVING IT). Anyway....just wanted to confirm then that I should be in motion...coasting slowly?....when shifting to/from 4/2WD? Some have told me to be stationary...some say it doens't matter. :-S Clearing this up would be awesome. Thanks!

cocky grin 02-26-2012 11:29 AM

To get into 4hi it doesnt matter if your moving or not for 4low u put your jeep in N coast at 3-5 and pull it down at a stedy pace to 4llow

kbwwolf 02-26-2012 11:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dacritterguy (Post 2076168)
Hoping I could pop this question in as I saw kbwwolf's comment about being in motion when shifting to 4WH.....and I've only had my jeep 5 months now (LOVING IT). Anyway....just wanted to confirm then that I should be in motion...coasting slowly?....when shifting to/from 4/2WD? Some have told me to be stationary...some say it doens't matter. :-S Clearing this up would be awesome. Thanks!

To shift into 4H you can be stationary or moving.

Shifting from 4H to 4L or back, you wanna be rolling 2-3 mph, with transmission in N. Make sure shift firmly from 4H to 4L (or back) without pausing at N on the transfer case. Once you're in gear, let off the clutch or shift into D and you're good to go. :thumb:

Cold 02-26-2012 11:53 AM

I can say that this crossed my mind a couple days ago. My Jeep seems to go right into 4hi but it seems to take a few seconds to disengage.

dacritterguy 02-26-2012 12:32 PM

Sweet....thanks guys!

firehawk 02-26-2012 12:37 PM

shift delay
 
:dance: hi, my 07 jeep wrangler and my current 2012 shift in or out with no
delay ..could be 4 wheel shift cable needs to be replaced it costs about
$50.00 :hide:

daggo66 02-26-2012 02:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dacritterguy (Post 2076168)
Hoping I could pop this question in as I saw kbwwolf's comment about being in motion when shifting to 4WH.....and I've only had my jeep 5 months now (LOVING IT). Anyway....just wanted to confirm then that I should be in motion...coasting slowly?....when shifting to/from 4/2WD? Some have told me to be stationary...some say it doens't matter. :-S Clearing this up would be awesome. Thanks!

Take out your DVD and go over the 4WD section in your owner's manual or download it from Jeep.com. There is a lot of valuable information in that section that every Wrangler owner should make themself familiar with.

CharTay 02-26-2012 02:34 PM

To go into 4 hi u can br going like 20 and shift it in 4 low u should be stopped

daggo66 02-26-2012 02:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CharTay (Post 2076702)
To go into 4 hi u can br going like 20 and shift it in 4 low u should be stopped

Actually you can shift into 4H up to 50 mph and you should be rolling no more than 3 to 4 mph.

CharTay 02-26-2012 02:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by daggo66

Actually you can shift into 4H up to 50 mph and you should be rolling no more than 3 to 4 mph.

K sorry 50 Haha my bad! And I always just stop to shift into 4 low

SilverSport 02-26-2012 08:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kbwwolf (Post 2076228)
To shift into 4H you can be stationary or moving.

Shifting from 4H to 4L or back, you wanna be rolling 2-3 mph, with transmission in N. Make sure shift firmly from 4H to 4L (or back) without pausing at N on the transfer case. Once you're in gear, let off the clutch or shift into D and you're good to go. :thumb:

Doesn't work on my Rubicon. Believe me I have tried it. The end result is gnashing of gears. What does work (everytime): Jeep stopped, transmission in Neutral, clutch out. Shifts into 4LO as smooth as silk.
Same thing going back.

jeepkingtn 02-26-2012 09:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SilverRubi

Doesn't work on my Rubicon. Believe me I have tried it. The end result is gnashing of gears. What does work (everytime): Jeep stopped, transmission in Neutral, clutch out. Shifts into 4LO as smooth as silk.
Same thing going back.

I've experienced the same thing. On my 2009 JKU you had to be rolling to shift into 4-lo but w/ my new 2012 Rubicon you'll grind it if you're rolling, if you're stopped it's easy.

Mansizedtarget 05-10-2012 08:05 AM

When I shift from 2H to 4H it's a very light feeling, almost no pressure required on the shifter. Is that normal? Other cars I've had required a lot more force to go from 2H to 4H. 4L still requires a little more force, though all of it is very light and smooth.

daggo66 05-10-2012 08:20 AM

Perfectly normal.

JIMBOX 05-10-2012 08:23 AM

:D Hey Mst-don't I know you ?


Quote:

Originally Posted by Mansizedtarget (Post 2354012)
When I shift from 2H to 4H it's a very light feeling, almost no pressure required on the shifter. Is that normal? Other cars I've had required a lot more force to go from 2H to 4H. 4L still requires a little more force, though all of it is very light and smooth.

http://i294.photobucket.com/albums/m...s/PICT0237.jpg

Heh Heh, just lookin at your avatar !

:dance::rofl: JIMBO

Mansizedtarget 06-03-2012 08:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by daggo66 (Post 2354064)
Perfectly normal.

Turned out this was far from "perfectly normal." The bushing on the inside of the 4wd shifter was cracked and had to be replaced. This apparently is not too uncommon a problem. Thankfully it was replaced on warranty. There's apparently a lot of debate on whether this is a fail safe device to protect the transfer case or an engineering failure. If it happens again, I'll probably get the beefed up advance adapters shifter cable.

JIMBOX 06-03-2012 08:34 PM

:whistling: Thanx for the ignore !


Quote:

Originally Posted by Mansizedtarget (Post 2433780)
Turned out this was far from "perfectly normal." The bushing on the inside of the 4wd shifter was cracked and had to be replaced. This apparently is not too uncommon a problem. Thankfully it was replaced on warranty. There's apparently a lot of debate on whether this is a fail safe device to protect the transfer case or an engineering failure. If it happens again, I'll probably get the beefed up advance adapters shifter cable.

--JIMBO

Mansizedtarget 06-03-2012 09:18 PM

It was funny! I picked that name for a website when I started a blog about ten years ago. I just always liked the euphemistic quality, as in, "I can hit a mansizedtarget at 500m."

SilverSport 06-03-2012 09:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mansizedtarget (Post 2433780)
Turned out this was far from "perfectly normal." The bushing on the inside of the 4wd shifter was cracked and had to be replaced. This apparently is not too uncommon a problem. Thankfully it was replaced on warranty. There's apparently a lot of debate on whether this is a fail safe device to protect the transfer case or an engineering failure. If it happens again, I'll probably get the beefed up advance adapters shifter cable.

Alot of folks carry a couple of spare bushings in their glovebox so when this happens they can do a quick fix.

BTW: Still doesn't require a lot of effort to shift into 4 HI when the bushings aren't broken.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:22 AM.