Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   TJ General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f282/)
-   -   zone 4" lift or rough country 4" lift (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f282/zone-4-lift-or-rough-country-4-lift-142523.html)

Maverick 1179 02-26-2012 11:39 PM

zone 4" lift or rough country 4" lift

i am about to purchase a lift finally for my 04 wrangler and i have narrowed it down to to chooses. i am either buying a rough country n2 4" lift or a zone 4" lift. can some help me decide because I'm back and forth daily on it. what are each pros and cons. any advice in the matter would really help!

GoldenSahara00 02-26-2012 11:57 PM

+1 for zone. I like their quality and rep.

Edit: I wouldn't buy either kit though. Save more $.

terminator012 02-27-2012 12:02 AM

^^^^^^^^

What he said.

Rpkittle 02-27-2012 12:09 AM

Have you considered the Zone's 4.25 combo lift?

TJspeed 02-27-2012 12:20 AM

zone

ropin321620 02-27-2012 12:25 AM

Ive had the rough country lift, not that exact one and it was okay. Now I run the 4.25 combo zone and it is a lot better ride all the way around. Add another vote for the zone

Owen_TJ 02-27-2012 12:29 AM

i run a zone kit and its a great kit for the money...

zero regrets buyin mine (i run the 4.25" kit)

another for zone

GoldenSahara00 02-27-2012 12:31 AM

As you can see a lot of suppose for zone here.

However if you can save up for something even better. Just IMO. I run zone but there is better.

TXST8tj 02-27-2012 09:25 AM

I vote neither.

You're comparing one budget lift to another which means you're going to loose out either way, in some way.

Actually comparing the two though.....

RC comes with nitro shocks - Zone nitro shocks are an upgrade
RC comes with rubber lower CA bushings - Zone has poly
RC does not have extended bumpstops - Zone includes 2"
RC runs $499.95 - Zone runs $529.95 (basic shocks)

Since the question really is which one....to me, all signs point to RC. The Zone kit will cost $50 more with the Nitro shocks and they have poly CA bushings instead of rubber.
The Zone kit has the one up with the extended bumpstops; however, they are not even likely to be the correct size you will need, and they are only a $15 upgrade with RC.

Comparing these two kits, one is NOT going to be better than the other.

GoldenSahara00 02-27-2012 09:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TXST8tj
I vote neither.

You're comparing one budget lift to another which means you're going to loose out either way, in some way.

Actually comparing the two though.....

RC comes with nitro shocks - Zone nitro shocks are an upgrade
RC comes with rubber lower CA bushings - Zone has poly
RC does not have extended bumpstops - Zone includes 2"
RC runs $499.95 - Zone runs $529.95 (basic shocks)

Since the question really is which one....to me, all signs point to RC. The Zone kit will cost $50 more with the Nitro shocks and they have poly CA bushings instead of rubber.
The Zone kit has the one up with the extended bumpstops; however, they are not even likely to be the correct size you will need, and they are only a $15 upgrade with RC.

Comparing these two kits, one is NOT going to be better than the other.

Except you don't take into account spring and shock quality and a lot of other things but a decent review.

2003x 02-27-2012 11:22 AM

I run RC's 4" lift. Been running it since 2006, zero issues, never had to replace a bushing or bolt. Only upgraded to their 2.2 shocks and just upgraded to their long arms. +1 for RC. But, you can't go wrong with RC or Zone, IMO.

TXST8tj 02-27-2012 11:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GoldenSahara00 (Post 2079172)
Except you don't take into account spring and shock quality and a lot of other things but a decent review.

I install a lot of RC kits, including their 4" kit (installing a 2.5"/1.25" as we speak actually).

I have not had a single complaint about the RC coils or shocks after 20+ RC TJ installs, including two that belong to friends of mine. I don't think quality is an issue there. I'd put the RC 2.0 Nitros against the Zone Nitros any day. Funny thing is they are probably made in the same factory in Mexico.

Coils selected for the proper application and setup will determine most of how any of those kits work out in the end. That is the case with RC and Zone.

I think with those brands/kits, you are comparing apples to apples and I would go with the better set up of the two...and on paper, that is RC.

GoldenSahara00 02-27-2012 01:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TXST8tj
I install a lot of RC kits, including their 4" kit (installing a 2.5"/1.25" as we speak actually).

I have not had a single complaint about the RC coils or shocks after 20+ RC TJ installs, including two that belong to friends of mine. I don't think quality is an issue there. I'd put the RC 2.0 Nitros against the Zone Nitros any day. Funny thing is they are probably made in the same factory in Mexico.

Coils selected for the proper application and setup will determine most of how any of those kits work out in the end. That is the case with RC and Zone.

I think with those brands/kits, you are comparing apples to apples and I would go with the better set up of the two...and on paper, that is RC.

I didn't say one or the other was better just said there are other factors :)

I have heard rc had some issues with cool sag and crappy shocks. But I also know that in the past year or two they supposedly fixed a lot of those problems. If your going with a budget lift then it's exactly that. A budget lift. On paper the rc may look better that is true. The only way to really know is to install and run both lifts for a few years. And truly if you get one your not gona know what your missing.

And I didn't even go to nitros I left it with hydros when I got my 3 inch (which uses the same as the 4) and I love them.

Maverick 1179 02-27-2012 07:32 PM

im a college kid with a limited budget but if there is another lift idea then I'm open to suggestions. just with all the stuff out there i was tol these are the best two for the price. I'm looking to spend near $500.

2003x 02-27-2012 07:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Maverick 1179 (Post 2080985)
im a college kid with a limited budget but if there is another lift idea then I'm open to suggestions. just with all the stuff out there i was tol these are the best two for the price. I'm looking to spend near $500.

Rough Country or Zone is your best bet.

Z-TJ 02-27-2012 07:48 PM

Quote:

I had the same decision a few weeks ago. I spent countless hours reading reviews and what would happen to jeeps after installing the lifts (Drive shaft vibes). I went with the Zone Combo lift 3" lift with Bl and Mml, decreases chance of vibes but does not guarantee. I was also able to install the lift myself witch saved a lot of money. Just keep some extra cash set a side just In case you hit a snag. mine took about 25 hours total to install, that's by myself and with no experience with this sorta thing.

geiman 02-27-2012 08:36 PM

Quote:

I was in you're situation a while back. I had the same idea; since I was still in school, I thought I should just go with a cheap kit and upgrade later. To keep this short, I'll just say I wish I would have NOT done that. Some more sensible upgrades that were usable in the future yet provided a good base to wheel would have been a better route to go. And in the long run it would have saved me money.

I have no first hand experience with the RC lift, but I made the mistake of going with the 4" Zone kit when I was in college. It's an OK mediocre lift; if you are going to stay on the street it will probably be fine. But if you plan on wheeling at all, the bushings in the fixed lower arms won't last long and they'll do a number on your control arm mounts.

GoldenSahara00 02-27-2012 08:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by geiman

I was in you're situation a while back. I had the same idea; since I was still in school, I thought I should just go with a cheap kit and upgrade later. To keep this short, I'll just say I wish I would have NOT done that. Some more sensible upgrades that were usable in the future yet provided a good base to wheel would have been a better route to go. And in the long run it would have saved me money.

I have no first hand experience with the RC lift, but I made the mistake of going with the 4" Zone kit when I was in college. It's an OK mediocre lift; if you are going to stay on the street it will probably be fine. But if you plan on wheeling at all, the bushings in the fixed lower arms won't last long and they'll do a number on your control arm mounts.

I agree with this. The springs and shocks are fine but I would not run either control arms. Those bushings are the devil. Rc should be better than the zone. But I have no experience to claim from.

nightop 02-27-2012 10:32 PM

I've got the 4" RC X-series and like the lift but the coils are very stiff and have caused a very rough ride on the highway/road.

2003x -- how big of an improvement in on-road ride quality did the RC long arm upgrade make versus short arm? I've been toying with that idea in lieu of spending the money for a full 5.5" long-arm RE or Terraflex lift.

Maverick 1179 02-27-2012 10:41 PM

well I'm mostly gonna do street driving with some light off roading.. mostly mudding. i eventually am gonna get a long arm lift kit but for now i just wanna clear some bigger tires and make it look badass.

coors 02-27-2012 10:44 PM

Zone 4.25 is 499 shipped. The 2 listed above are over $550 with shipping.

Imped 02-27-2012 10:44 PM

Instead of spending $500 on parts that you'll certainly replace if you decide to get more serious, how about you either A) don't do anything and save the money or B) spend that same amount on USEFUL, FUNCTIONAL, SMART upgrades--ZJ tie rod, steering box skid, oil pan skid, high clearance belly skid....notice I mentioned nothing in regards to suspension. So many people think that "lift and tires" are all that's needed when, in reality, do the above with a 1.25" BL, 1" MML, and some 33x10.50's with a locker up front and you'll wind up with a rig that will out-climb and out-wheel a cookie-cutter 4" on 33's rig all day long. There's much, much more to it and unfortunately you won't see that until you've wasted a ton of money on mediocre parts and smartened up a bit. So listen to those of us with some experience and build your rig smart with the money you can spend.

Maybe I'm biased but personally, I don't care how tall your rig is or how big the tires are...nor do most guys that actually wheel and understand true performance and the functions that make it up. I admire smart, well-built rigs and it doesn't matter if they're on 30's or 37's.

2003x 02-27-2012 10:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nightop

2003x -- how big of an improvement in on-road ride quality did the RC long arm upgrade make versus short arm? I've been toying with that idea in lieu of spending the money for a full 5.5" long-arm RE or Terraflex lift.

It was night and day. The long arms were a hudge improvement. Any one that rides in it notices the difference.

GoldenSahara00 02-28-2012 07:27 AM

Imped is right. But if you do insist on suspension mods. Get a good quality set of springs and shocks, not just from some kit, that you will want to run for years. I know there are a lot of us who wish we had made better choices. Impatience isn't a good excuse to buy crap.

Maverick 1179 02-28-2012 10:52 AM

well ill look into it is a long arm suspension system the way to go?

Imped 02-28-2012 11:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Maverick 1179 (Post 2083383)
well ill look into it is a long arm suspension system the way to go?

For what?

You can ask all kinds of questions all day long but until you have a better understanding of link suspensions, it won't matter.

Short answer--no, it's not the way to go. There's every bit as many poorly-executed and junky parts out there in long arm kits as there are in junky short arm kits. What many people don't understand is that just going to longer arms and different mounting points solves nothing unless you do it right and with good parts.....and that alone will take a bare minimum of 4x your budget with you doing all the work, all of the calculations, and getting some good deals on parts. A large part of the industry just wants the extremely-gullible Jeep market to believe that longer arms will solve every problem in the book....that's not the case.

GoldenSahara00 02-28-2012 02:36 PM

Once again x2 with imped. Long arms and short arms are really not a big deal. Either rig can be set up well or not so well. I only see Long arms necessary is you have a ridiculously huge amount of lift. Which in itself isn't a great idea at all. Short arms should do fine for anything you want to do. Normally the advantages a lot of people are seeing from short to long arms are because of the Arm itself and not the length or mounting of the long versus short. Read read and read some more then spend your money :thumb:

Maverick 1179 02-28-2012 03:50 PM

I've read so much and still have no clue what I'm coin thats why i really like all these discussion points. if its possible keep the pointers coming.
I know a little about how jeep suspensions work but am alway willing to learn more. is there any websites that explain this or is there any suggestions on what to do first i have a little under 1500 to blow on my jeep. more will come once i start my summer job.

Imped 02-28-2012 04:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Maverick 1179 (Post 2084259)
I've read so much and still have no clue what I'm coin thats why i really like all these discussion points. if its possible keep the pointers coming.
I know a little about how jeep suspensions work but am alway willing to learn more. is there any websites that explain this or is there any suggestions on what to do first i have a little under 1500 to blow on my jeep. more will come once i start my summer job.

Confusion comes from a lack of understanding.......there's a saying that goes something like, "anything is simple when you get it." The same goes here. If all you're looking at is the dozens of brands, companies, blah blah blah out there, I'm not surprised you're confused. You're gonna continue to be confused if all you do is read "RC vs. Zone" kind of stuff. That tells me nothing about the quality of the components. The best advice I can tell you is to read some harder-core build threads where there's more tech and less "brand vs. brand" crap. If you want to LEARN, go read some build threads over on JF and Pirate.

GoldenSahara00 02-28-2012 04:12 PM

Plus read some basic write ups on how certain things work. It's not gona happen over night or even a few months. But you'll get a better idea everyday. People thing it's simple to lift a jeep. Just slap some parts on and go. But just like anything worth doing there is a lot more to it than what's on the surface. There are maybe 3-4 good builds on wf currently and several older ones. Jeep forum has more and pirate has more and even more advanced stuff as imped mentioned. I would make sure you understand the basics first so you get the most out of your reading of builds. Find the answers to all your questions. Make sure you know all the terminology and what all the parts do. That will help make sense of everything else.