Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   Communications and Electronics (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f40/)
-   -   Pre tune CB question... (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f40/pre-tune-cb-question-142731.html)

namasste 02-27-2012 09:03 PM

Pre tune CB question...

I recently installed a 3' Firestik II and Midland 75-822 CB unit in my rig and right now I'm waiting on my SWR meter to arrive tomorrow. My questions this...we have minimal CB traffic around here despite being only a few miles from a freeway (which I use often commuting to work). Untuned, I've gotten essentially no communication in RX or TX and was concerned that I had a grounding issue that tuning simply cannot fix. I switched up my mount a bit and was able to get some pretty clear RX communication today albeit sporadic and only on one channel. Since I did get something, am I safe to assume that i am grounded and installed properly and all that's needed is a tuning?

I did pick up a multiple meter today and with me very limited understanding of what I was looking for, things seemed to be okay. That said, I have little confidence in my testing methods and results so I was hoping that simply getting some traffic on the unit meant I was good to go once I tuned it up.

Remus_Redbone 02-27-2012 10:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by namasste (Post 2081460)
I switched up my mount a bit and was able to get some pretty clear RX communication today albeit sporadic and only on one channel. Since I did get something, am I safe to assume that i am grounded and installed properly and all that's needed is a tuning?

Maybe. Being able to talk doesn't necessarily mean all is good, but it is unlikely your antenna / coax is dead shorted or grounded, otherwise you couldn't talk at all. That being said, it doesn't mean your SWR isn't off the scale. It is possible to damage the radio with extended talking / key-up of the radio if the SWR is over 3 or 4 to 1.

namasste 02-27-2012 10:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Remus_Redbone (Post 2082000)
Maybe. Being able to talk doesn't necessarily mean all is good, but it is unlikely your antenna / coax is dead shorted or grounded, otherwise you couldn't talk at all. That being said, it doesn't mean your SWR isn't off the scale. It is possible to damage the radio with extended talking / key-up of the radio if the SWR is over 3 or 4 to 1.

I did read that about potential damage. Fortunately, I've only been listening as I'd have no reason to join on the random conversations I've heard and I do have an SWR meter arriving tomorrow so I'll try to get it all tuned down tom under 2. Just thought I'd try to cross this first part off the list since I'll never get a decent reading if the setup was botched to start with.

Remus_Redbone 02-28-2012 08:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by namasste (Post 2082023)
I did read that about potential damage. Fortunately, I've only been listening as I'd have no reason to join on the random conversations I've heard and I do have an SWR meter arriving tomorrow so I'll try to get it all tuned down tom under 2. Just thought I'd try to cross this first part off the list since I'll never get a decent reading if the setup was botched to start with.

I bet you'll be good to go with slight adjustment.