Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   YJ General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f290/)
-   -   Ordered new bumper and winch! (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f290/ordered-new-bumper-and-winch-142776.html)

Capt Jarrod 02-28-2012 12:13 AM

Ordered new bumper and winch!

Just ordered a new front bumper and winch. Got the Body Armor TJ-19531 bumper and XRC-8 smittybuilt winch. Anyone have any experience with either of these products? And anyone got any suggestions before I install them?

Jeepin91YJ 02-28-2012 09:24 AM

First thung you should consider when running a winch is it is very hard on your battery and you should consider down the road to uograde to a dual setup. Otherwise the xrc8 is perfect for the yj`s since the stock weight is only 1950 before aftermarket parts

Wirenuting 02-28-2012 09:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Capt Jarrod
Just ordered a new front bumper and winch. Got the Body Armor TJ-19531 bumper and XRC-8 smittybuilt winch. Anyone have any experience with either of these products? And anyone got any suggestions before I install them?

I installed the quad tube version.
Just bolt the winch on before you lift the bumper up for mounting. The winch has to have the bolts facing up, nut's on top, for it to fit.
I drilled and tapped 1/4-20 holes for the front license plate. Use a wrap of Teflon plumbers tape on the screw threads so it don't rust into place..

Capt Jarrod 02-28-2012 11:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeepin91YJ
First thung you should consider when running a winch is it is very hard on your battery and you should consider down the road to uograde to a dual setup. Otherwise the xrc8 is perfect for the yj`s since the stock weight is only 1950 before aftermarket parts

Thanks for the advice. I don't plan on doing a ton of wheeling but ordered it for when I do want to go by myself so I can get out of any binds. If I do run two batteries where is a good place to mount the second one?

Capt Jarrod 02-28-2012 11:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wirenuting

I installed the quad tube version.
Just bolt the winch on before you lift the bumper up for mounting. The winch has to have the bolts facing up, nut's on top, for it to fit.
I drilled and tapped 1/4-20 holes for the front license plate. Use a wrap of Teflon plumbers tape on the screw threads so it don't rust into place..

Ok thanks I'll mount the winch on before putting on the bumper. How much time did it take for you to mount it?

Wirenuting 02-28-2012 04:21 PM

Quote:

Ok thanks I'll mount the winch on before putting on the bumper. How much time did it take for you to mount it?

It took 2 hours the first time. Then figured out that darn bolt, and about 45 minutes the second time. Then the added time for running the wires and drill/tapping holes for the front plate, splicing in the lower fog lights and a complete new run & switch for the top lights made it about 6 hours. But I'm an electrician and was picky about the wiring and pre-wrapped with electrical tape. ( 3M brand Scotch 33 ).

The directions made it easy and you can download them to see.

Total time if I knew about the goofy bolt would be about 2 hours.

oh ya, the skid plate didn't come with it, I thought it did. I'll buy that later this summer.

The winch worked great. I used it a few times to work on my sons 3/4 ton dodge diesel pick up.
I wish we had more snow this year... For a small fee I'll pull ya outa the ditch when it snowed. LoL

OklaTJ 02-28-2012 04:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Capt Jarrod (Post 2083483)
Thanks for the advice. I don't plan on doing a ton of wheeling but ordered it for when I do want to go by myself so I can get out of any binds. If I do run two batteries where is a good place to mount the second one?

My 97 TJ has 2 spots on the fire wall

Capt Jarrod 02-28-2012 10:23 PM

It sounds like it's pretty straight forward and now all I need to get is both the winch and bumper. I ordered the bumper from autoplicity and winch form 4 wheel parts. Both companies messed up my order and both were ordered to get here on wednesday but now won't be shipping until wednesday. Autoplicity immediately emailed me back and admitted to their mistake whereas 4 wheel took all day to reply. After I get these parts I'm done ordering parts online.

cocky grin 02-28-2012 10:27 PM

I have the winch on my jk and I like it...I would recomend upgrading to synthetic (spell check) rope. One this is that the winch rusts quickly so id also say get some kind of cover for it

Capt Jarrod 02-28-2012 11:21 PM

It comes with a free cover and I'm in florida so don't get a whole lot of rust.

88muddog 02-28-2012 11:42 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I'm pleased with their winches for the money.

cocky grin 02-29-2012 07:39 AM

Quote:

It comes with a free cover and I'm in florida so don't get a whole lot of rust.

Just a thought but what about the salty air? Idk just throwin it out there but my winch was fine until it snowed and they salted the hell out of the roads.....yay ohio :/

Capt Jarrod 02-29-2012 10:08 AM

Where I am where not aloud to drive on the beach. Plus I only wheel in the forest inland from the ocean.

year1camaro 03-01-2012 08:02 AM

Two things. I noticed someone said 1950 for jeep weight. It's actually more like 4000. I also got a XRC8 on my jeep. Got stuck with it for the first time two weekends ago and it pulled me right out. Best investment yet. They say you should be at 1.5 times the vehicle weight so a 6000 winch might be ok but for the money the XRC8 is awesome.
As for rust on the cable what I did was empty a can of wd-40 on it while it was wrapped on the winch motor. I live in Pa. and they love to salt the roads by me. But just to be certain even thou they sent a free winch cover too I wd-40'd the hell out of it. It's holding up perfect so far.
My question now to figure out is about the dual battery setup. I found that the 98 Grand Cherokee 136amp alternator bolts right up to my 92 4.0 HO.. I hear this helps out. Stock my 4.0 has a 90 amp. I could'nt help but notice my volt gauge drop to around 10 when I was winching out the trouble i was in so this will be my first upgrade. The next thing while waiting on the alternator is to make a dual battery mount in the stock location. If Anyone has done this and saved some pictures I 'd love to see your idea! You can just buy one for around 100.00. But I love to fabricate so I'll take the 10.-15 $ route. Just modded my stock front bumper and welded everything together(bumper, winch plate, frame). Super Strong like a part of the jeep now. So if anyone has dual battery setup pictures in their YJ,,,please post.
http://i259.photobucket.com/albums/h...217_151515.jpg

Capt Jarrod 03-01-2012 07:28 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Just got them in and installed today

year1camaro 03-18-2012 10:15 PM

Store bought crap