Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   Tires & Wheels (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f27/)
-   -   Tire Change Time? HELP! (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f27/tire-change-time-help-142785.html)

Chrisalicious1993 02-28-2012 01:44 AM

Tire Change Time? HELP!
 
I have a 2008 Wrangler X and the tires are 325/60r18 Toyo Open Countries. They are balding :banghead: and I want to buy new tires. I want more off road tires, but I can't find many that are the same dimentions as the Toyo's. Am I able to change dimensions and which ones? Also what would be the best pick in tires (I always hear of the BF's)?

4fit 02-28-2012 09:08 AM

That is essentially a 35x13 tire. HERE are the tires that Discount Tire Direct carries in that exact size. You can certainly change the dimensions a bit if you so desire. As for which ones, I'm not sure. Depends on your wheel dimensions and if you mind going up or down in tire size.

C.L. 02-28-2012 09:12 AM

If you go offroading frequently, you may want to look into a smaller wheel diameter as well. It will let you air down further for better traction, and put some more rubber between the rocks and your wheels. As an added benefit, 15" tires are MUCH cheaper than 18". You may even be able to get 5x 15" wheels AND tires for less than the cost of just 5x replacement 18" tires.

4fit 02-28-2012 10:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by C.L. (Post 2083086)
If you go offroading frequently, you may want to look into a smaller wheel diameter as well. It will let you air down further for better traction, and put some more rubber between the rocks and your wheels. As an added benefit, 15" tires are MUCH cheaper than 18". You may even be able to get 5x 15" wheels AND tires for less than the cost of just 5x replacement 18" tires.

^^ this is very true, and typically something I would recommend as well. Just didn't think the OP would want to get rid of the 18s. Looks like aftermarket wheels in his avatar.

OP, here are the 35x12.5x18s offered by DTD. These would be very close in size to what you are running now.
Tire Products - Discount Tire Direct

Chrisalicious1993 02-28-2012 04:16 PM

That makes total sense! I do love my 18's but 15's or even 16's would be better and more beneficial. Would getting 15's make my tires look a lot smaller on my jeep? I want big tires in general.

4fit 02-28-2012 04:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chrisalicious1993
That makes total sense! I do love my 18's but 15's or even 16's would be better and more beneficial. Would getting 15's make my tires look a lot smaller on my jeep? I want big tires in general.

A 35" tire will actually look bigger on a 15" or 16" rim than on the 18" due to there being more sidewall.

Chrisalicious1993 02-28-2012 04:22 PM

what about the actual Jeep height?

InfernoGirl 02-28-2012 05:00 PM

Tire sizes remain the same. Only thing that changes is the size of the hole in the middle...

CoyoteOn2 02-28-2012 05:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by InfernoGirl (Post 2084450)
Tire sizes remain the same. Only thing that changes is the size of the hole in the middle...


YEPPER, a 35" tire is 35"s tall whether on a 10" Rim or a 32" Rim.:doh::eek:


(what came over me? lol)

Chrisalicious1993 02-28-2012 09:46 PM

How many 15" wheels will still have the width of my TOYO's? I don't want narrow tires.

4fit 02-28-2012 09:56 PM

OP, I just realized a mistake I made in this post. I thought you said your existing tires were 325/65s, not 325/60s. That makes a big difference. That means your current tires are really 33.3" tall, not nearly 35". Sorry about that!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chrisalicious1993 (Post 2085592)
How many 15" wheels will still have the width of my TOYO's? I don't want narrow tires.

I think you mean how many tires for 15" wheels have the width of your Toyos. Your current tires spec out to 12.8" wide. There are several options on the 15" wheel for a 33x12.5 tire. So you may be losing a bit in the height and width department if you go that route.

Chrisalicious1993 02-28-2012 11:54 PM

ok, so what tires still look big and good with a wrangler? maybe with 15s or 16s?

4fit 02-29-2012 08:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chrisalicious1993 (Post 2086209)
ok, so what tires still look big and good with a wrangler? maybe with 15s or 16s?

Here's a 33x12.5x15 on 15" MB72s with a 2.5" Teraflex coil lift (ESP's ride)
http://img171.imageshack.us/img171/2592/p1010854vj.jpg

Here is mine with 285/75/16 (33x11) on 16" Strike 5s with a Teraflex leveling kit
http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y26...1/IMAG0325.jpg

The 285/75/16 would mean you would lose close to 2" in width over your existing tires. However, you could go with a 305/70/16 which would be a 33x12 tire.

Need to know what you consider "big and good". Ok, that just didn't sound right. :hide:
http://hphotos-snc1.fbcdn.net/hs003...._7120097_n.jpg

Chrisalicious1993 02-29-2012 04:18 PM

The first gray Jeep with the 33x12.5x15 is what I'm looking for!

4fit 02-29-2012 06:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chrisalicious1993
The first gray Jeep with the 33x12.5x15 is what I'm looking for!

Cool. Then you definitely need to check out this thread.
http://www.wranglerforum.com/f33/33x...deo-96568.html

Chrisalicious1993 02-29-2012 08:16 PM

daaang thanks man! you helped me out A LOT!

4fit 02-29-2012 10:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chrisalicious1993
daaang thanks man! you helped me out A LOT!

No problem. Glad to help. :D


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:31 PM.