Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   JK General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/)
-   -   Pine Barrens run NY/NJ (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/pine-barrens-run-ny-nj-142826.html)

DOMINUS 02-28-2012 09:34 AM

Pine Barrens run NY/NJ

Paging all jeepers in the NY/NJ and surrounding areas. I am ready to take my stock 2012 Rubi off road. I also want to put faces to some of the names on here. Fearless leader where are you? I wanted to start a meet but not necessarily be in charge of the whole setup lol. This will be my first outing anyway so I shouldn't be in charge. Others on here are more qualified. Maybe even some out-of-town folk can join too. Let's plan something guys and gals.

kjeeper10 02-28-2012 09:35 AM

:subscribed:

Not easy, I've seen a few attempts :)

stevebanzai 02-28-2012 09:48 AM

When ya headed out? I was planning on going through wharton some time this spring.

DOMINUS 02-28-2012 10:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kjeeper10
:subscribed:

Not easy, I've seen a few attempts :)

I know it's not easy. Life and stuff gets in the way but it's worth a try. Maybe just a handful might go first but if it proves to be a success more might show up for future outings.

DOMINUS 02-28-2012 10:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stevebanzai
When ya headed out? I was planning on going through wharton some time this spring.

I was thinking spring as well. May-ish. A good 2 month window so that people can get their ducks in a row before coming. I also figure maybe a Saturday so that we all can rest on Sunday and back to the grind on Monday. This is all open for input so anyone can feel free to jump in.

PieFace 02-28-2012 10:38 AM

Im in. Ive been waiting for someone to do this. skid plates on order

Matador 02-28-2012 10:49 AM

I'm in also for the same exact reasons as Dominous. I just got a new Rubicon and have never gone offroading but would love to start.

strider_mt2k 02-28-2012 11:18 AM

I'm in SJ and live close to Wharton near Atsion.
I've already been back in some parts half a dozen times, but it won't stop me from going again! :D

'scribed.

Jdozer 02-28-2012 11:23 AM

I'll join in, I think there is a jamboree in March around Wharton area.

daggo66 02-28-2012 11:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PieFace

Forget the skid plates. You need breather tubes and a snorkel for the pine barrens.

DOMINUS 02-28-2012 11:27 AM

Ah you see it's already growing legs. I am not familiar with the area at all. Never been there which is why I shouldn't lead this effort. I just want to get out and see what my hard earned/easily spent money can do lol. We'd have to come up with a place to meet, eat or whatever.

DOMINUS 02-28-2012 11:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by daggo66

Forget the skid plates. You need breather tubes and a snorkel for the pine barrens.

So a bone stock Jeep won't survive there?

daggo66 02-28-2012 11:41 AM

It will survive but you are dealing with deep water. It's mainly sandy roads with very deep puddles. Be prepared to change all your fluids after. You can find plenty of videos on YouTube.

strider_mt2k 02-28-2012 11:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DOMINUS (Post 2083696)
So a bone stock Jeep won't survive there?

A bone stock Jeep WILL survive out there, You just have to use some sense about what you drive through and where.
Most (not all) deep stuff has go-rounds.

Almost all of my drives out there were done before I had put together a lick of recovery gear too. so I was extremely paranoid.

I got pretty deep in there, so I decided to try the nav to get home...wouldn't you know it did it? Many of the larger trails and some of the smaller ones are in the 730N! :D

EDIT
I've been out a bunch of times as a passenger riding with my brother and his Ford Ranger group.
There are some mildly interesting points of interest, abandoned towns, chupacabra, that kind of thing.

There were mostly Jersey Devils out there, but when Caranza crashed back in the day some Chupacabra were released from the cargo area of his plane and took out there in the pines..

DOMINUS 02-28-2012 11:59 AM

Quote:

It will survive but you are dealing with deep water. It's mainly sandy roads with very deep puddles. Be prepared to change all your fluids after. You can find plenty of videos on YouTube.

I did see a few videos on YouTube. The last thing I want is to hydrolock my beloved. If I have to I'll drive around lol. I know that's the wussy way out but hey it's my first time. I'm still a virgin.

DOMINUS 02-28-2012 12:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by strider_mt2k

A bone stock Jeep WILL survive out there, You just have to use some sense about what you drive through and where.
Most (not all) deep stuff has go-rounds.

Almost all of my drives out there were done before I had put together a lick of recovery gear too. so I was extremely paranoid.

I got pretty deep in there, so I decided to try the nav to get home...wouldn't you know it did it? Many of the larger trails and some of the smaller ones are in the 730N! :D

EDIT
I've been out a bunch of times as a passenger riding with my brother and his Ford Ranger group.
There are some mildly interesting points of interest, abandoned towns, chupacabra, that kind of thing.

There were mostly Jersey Devils out there, but when Caranza crashed back in the day some Chupacabra were released from the cargo area of his plane and took out there in the pines..

Strider keep this up and you may be nominated as the planner for this thing.... I'll will just have some straps and basic tools. The only mod on my Jeep are the ACE sliders. That's it. I kind of want to see what a stock Rubi can do before modding. It's just a personal thing I guess. That way I know that my money was well spent.

strider_mt2k 02-28-2012 12:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DOMINUS (Post 2083799)
Strider keep this up and you may be nominated as the planner for this thing.... I'll will just have some straps and basic tools. The only mod on my Jeep are the ACE sliders. That's it. I kind of want to see what a stock Rubi can do before modding. It's just a personal thing I guess. That way I know that my money was well spent.

My nephew and I went out on what we thought would be a easy run and ended up going through some of the most challenging stuff I've been through to date!

The Rubicon seems well suited, but as mentioned earlier I'll be taking care of those diff tubes on the next modding run.

daggo66 02-28-2012 12:42 PM

Jeep Jamboree 2009 Pine Barrens - YouTube

Pine Barrens 2011-12-23 1of2 - YouTube

Dirt roads and water, not my idea of fun.

SolarStar 02-28-2012 01:22 PM

I'd join the fun.

I'll probably bring my stock Rubi, but if the mood hits me I'll roll out the 08 on 37s.

DOMINUS 02-28-2012 01:47 PM

Quote:

That's a lot of mucky stuff. Are you a rock crawler daggo66?

C.L. 02-28-2012 01:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by daggo66 (Post 2083912)
Dirt roads and water, not my idea of fun.

Agreed. Look west; Rausch is well worth the drive!

stevebanzai 02-28-2012 01:48 PM

It had to have been raining alot the days before those videos. Theres no way theres that much water. If its a dry week and nice and hot, there won't be that much water.

I will have 33's and a 2.5" AEV lift, but no snorkel. That kind of water you gotta almost think you'll NEED a snorkel.

DOMINUS 02-28-2012 01:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SolarStar
I'd join the fun.

I'll probably bring my stock Rubi, but if the mood hits me I'll roll out the 08 on 37s.

Cool now we have to get some sort of itinerary. Who's bringing the camera?

DOMINUS 02-28-2012 01:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by C.L.

Agreed. Look west; Rausch is well worth the drive!

Is that in Pennsylvania?

stevebanzai 02-28-2012 02:05 PM

Its in NJ. Right off 206 mostly.

stevebanzai 02-28-2012 02:06 PM

I'll definitely come. Hopefully someone else has a winch and some recovery shit. Lol.

ryanJKunlimited2012 02-28-2012 02:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PieFace (Post 2083534)

Skid plates in the Pines are just somewhere to store sand and pine needles. If you want to protect yourself in Wharton, invest in a snorkel.

ryanJKunlimited2012 02-28-2012 02:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DOMINUS (Post 2083775)
I did see a few videos on YouTube. The last thing I want is to hydrolock my beloved. If I have to I'll drive around lol. I know that's the wussy way out but hey it's my first time. I'm still a virgin.

There is nothing wussy about protecting a $40,000 piece of equipment. Raise your breathers, and think about a snorkel if you are going back there often.

ryanJKunlimited2012 02-28-2012 02:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DOMINUS (Post 2084130)
Is that in Pennsylvania?

Rausch Creek? Yes

ryanJKunlimited2012 02-28-2012 02:15 PM

You may want to explore the New Jersey Regional thread. There are some experienced folks that will lead in Wharton.