Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   JK General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/)
-   -   Front adjustable LCA's (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/front-adjustable-lcas-142833.html)

desertgoose 02-28-2012 09:54 AM

Front adjustable LCA's

After installing my TF 2.5" coil lift my JK has left a bit to be desired in regards to bumpsteer and following the slope of the road when driving, mainly on rough surface streets. It tracks straight and drives fine at highway speeds, but on potholed roads it likes to dance around a bit. I don't like it so much.

I'm looking at the Rock Krawler adj LCA's seen here: Rock Krawler Suspension RK02015 - Rock Krawler High Clearance Adjustable Front Lower Control Arms for 07-12 Jeep« Wrangler & Wrangler Unlimited JK - Quadratec

Anybody have experience with these? Is there a better (more durable) option at that price or lower? I appreciate any input...

kbwwolf 02-28-2012 09:58 AM

The only real purpose of adj ca's is to regulate your Jeep's caster. If it's tracking straight on the freeway, but bouncing around on potholed roads, the ca's aren't gonna change that.

kjeeper10 02-28-2012 10:04 AM

Little more fidgety after the lift but expected.
I've heard "bump steer" mentioned along with the caster being off. Dunno :confused:
I picked up a set of TF arms from a member. Will install soon and update :)

desertgoose 02-28-2012 10:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kjeeper10 (Post 2083429)
Little more fidgety after the lift but expected.
I've heard "bump steer" mentioned along with the caster being off. Dunno :confused:
I picked up a set of TF arms from a member. Will install soon and update :)

Please let me know what changes handling wise. I don't want to drop $300 for something that may not fix the only issue I'm having. I am not enjoying the extra effort it takes to stay in the middle of the lane when driving on rough or uneven roads.

desertgoose 02-28-2012 10:31 AM

I think I'll go by my alignment shop and see if the toe needs adjusted in/out after the lift. Would be nice if it is the case. I know that my lca's and tb's are torqued now as I just went back over them last week.

JeepAddOns-Chris 02-28-2012 10:35 AM

The control arms will help with wandering, but bump steer will be taken care of by an adjustable track bar.

If you like Rock Krawler, those run about $150. If you like the Teraflex Monster, they run around $233.

pluke the 2 02-28-2012 10:36 AM

yes. usually adj ca's will correct the 'wandering' feeling you get from highway speeds, by adj. caster.

I think it's alignment. Get the specification sheet or print out from the alignment shop. In most alignment shops, they don't center your axles and if your axles are not centered you will have these issues.

the Kolector 02-28-2012 10:50 AM

I just installed Synergy adjustable front lower control arms and the Synergy adjustable track bar. Got them from EAD Offroad and highly recommend them. But my issue was originally caused by the lower ball joints being wore out.

kjeeper10 02-28-2012 01:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by desertgoose

Please let me know what changes handling wise. I don't want to drop $300 for something that may not fix the only issue I'm having. I am not enjoying the extra effort it takes to stay in the middle of the lane when driving on rough or uneven roads.

Oh I will.

Talked to a shop yesterday.

Mentioned the LCA's. They should be already set so, it's a matter of 4 bolts.
They are not going to charge any extra to install.

flyinion 02-28-2012 01:43 PM

If it really is a caster issue from the CA's, you could try AEV's new CA drop brackets that are supposed to correct the suspension geometry. At $99 it would save you a good chunk over new CA's. Have seen a few threads on them floating around here.

kjeeper10 02-28-2012 01:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by flyinion
If it really is a caster issue from the CA's, you could try AEV's new CA drop brackets that are supposed to correct the suspension geometry. At $99 it would save you a good chunk over new CA's. Have seen a few threads on them floating around here.

Member "Gluestick" :thumb:

desertgoose 02-28-2012 02:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by flyinion

I've entertained that thought. I have no issue dropping a little more $ as long as I'm positive it'll fix my issue without causing more down the road.

kjeeper10 02-29-2012 09:50 AM

Having my tires rotated/balanced later today.
Also alignment check to see where I am at before LCA install.

JIMBOX 02-29-2012 09:57 AM

:whistling: Installing (adj) LCAs is kindergarten, even compared to installing a lift-

Whats the big question ???????

You can change your front axle caster "AT WILL" weekly, if you want to-

You can change lifts/tires/bumpers/racks/jeep load and ALWAYS be able to temper your front axle caster-

It's NOBIGDEAL !

:dance::rofl: JIMBO

the Kolector 02-29-2012 10:00 AM

Replacing my LCA's was cake compared to the ball joints. I agree, might as well spend the extra now to not have to deal with it again later.

kjeeper10 03-03-2012 12:00 PM

Pm sent DG

But LCA's made a BIG difference in drivability.

desertgoose 03-03-2012 12:13 PM

Thank you Ken. Ordering this week with ball joints. I figure setting the caster right will put less wear on the new BJ's.

chris.george 03-03-2012 12:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by the Kolector (Post 2087315)
Replacing my LCA's was cake compared to the ball joints. I agree, might as well spend the extra now to not have to deal with it again later.

Agreed, I just caved and ordered some after seeing that my castor was -4║. Complete opposite direction of what it should be. Freaked me out.

kjeeper10 03-03-2012 12:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chris.george

Agreed, I just caved and ordered some after seeing that my castor was -4║. Complete opposite direction of what it should be. Freaked me out.

-4 holy f---- I can't say that here lol

Night and day. If anything my caster was only off a couple degrees.

chris.george 03-03-2012 12:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kjeeper10 (Post 2098376)
-4 holy f---- I can't say that here lol

Night and day. If anything my caster was only off a couple degrees.

Yeah, I have a few things on my list still. Sigh, I should've just have done all the work from the beginning. Newb problem.

Tom Woods or JE Reel Driveshaft
Adjustable Track Bar (I have a little bump steer I think)
New Coils (King would be awesome)
King Shocks or Bilsteins

When I look at some of the work that the guys at 4wd did and using their ProComp stuff, I kind of want to cry. But only after learning about all these.

chris.george 03-03-2012 02:17 PM

Correction: 4wheelsparts, not 4wd. (why doesn't this let me edit!)

kjeeper10 03-03-2012 02:23 PM

Why the King coils though- I never heard anybody use them?

I am going to spring for a front adj TB also.
Most likely staying with teraflex.

chris.george 03-03-2012 02:45 PM

The ones they flopped out with the pro comp lift are already seem like they are sagging. I measured 24" (little over) in the front (mid wheel to bottom of fender) and 23.5" in the back. Back I guess since they DO say their '4" lift' is for 35" tires, makes sense.

I guess I could choose other ones and just powder coat them ;). Maybe I misunderstood people? I'm not closed off to any others to be honest. I'd just as likely buy TeraFlex or EVO. But I asked a few people who've beat the daylights out of theirs and they kept saying King was worth the price. We'll see though, you guys (and a bunch of others) do love your Bilsteins!

But this is me right now:
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-GA7f8HUPgS...05qjcl_400.jpg

Because I didn't figure a lot of this out BEFORE. Oh well.

12JKUR 03-04-2012 06:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pluke the 2 (Post 2083527)
yes. usually adj ca's will correct the 'wandering' feeling you get from highway speeds, by adj. caster.

I think it's alignment. Get the specification sheet or print out from the alignment shop. In most alignment shops, they don't center your axles and if your axles are not centered you will have these issues.

Center your axles? Please explain.

12JKUR 03-04-2012 06:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chris.george (Post 2098657)
Correction: 4wheelsparts, not 4wd. (why doesn't this let me edit!)

Let jcj know about the edit issue. I told Julie I've seen this a few times. Somebody needs to look into it. :confused:

kbwwolf 03-04-2012 08:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 12JKUR (Post 2100682)
Center your axles? Please explain.

When you install a lift, it can often move your axles off-center. If it's severe enough, you'll be able to tell simply by looking at your Jeep head- or rear-on. You can also measure the tires (in relation to the fenders) to see if one side sticks out farther than the other.

It's not a terrible thing...your Jeep will be fine with the axles slightly off center. Some people freak over it; some just don't like the way it looks. Regardless, the way to fix it is with an adjustable track bar. :thumb:

Barrie 03-04-2012 08:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 12JKUR (Post 2100686)
Let jcj know about the edit issue. I told Julie I've seen this a few times. Somebody needs to look into it. :confused:

You have 15 minutes after you post to edit.

EAD Offroad 03-04-2012 08:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JIMBOX (Post 2087299)
:whistling: Installing (adj) LCAs is kindergarten, even compared to installing a lift-

Whats the big question ???????

You can change your front axle caster "AT WILL" weekly, if you want to-

You can change lifts/tires/bumpers/racks/jeep load and ALWAYS be able to temper your front axle caster-

It's NOBIGDEAL !

:dance::rofl: JIMBO

That's one reason I like the Synergy control arms is that you can adjust them without taking them off, making a fairly easy job a lot less time consuming. That, 1 3/4" X .188 Wall 1026 DOM tubing and Currie Enterprises Johnny Joints make for a control arm you won't need to replace.

http://www.eadoffroad.com/image/cach...-2-500x500.jpg

kjeeper10 03-04-2012 08:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EAD Offroad (Post 2100938)
That's one reason I like the Synergy control arms is that you can adjust them without taking them off, making a fairly easy job a lot less time consuming. That, 1 3/4" X .188 Wall 1026 DOM tubing and Currie Enterprises Johnny Joints make for a control arm you won't need to replace.

http://www.eadoffroad.com/image/cach...-2-500x500.jpg

That is an Awsome feature.

desertgoose 03-04-2012 09:22 PM

Guess I know what I'm ordering tomorrow. Along with balljoints. Bye $$$ :wavey: