Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   JK General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/)
-   -   UCONNECT annoying "incoming call from" (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/uconnect-annoying-incoming-call-from-142961.html)

patastinky 02-28-2012 07:26 PM

UCONNECT annoying "incoming call from"

Hey Guys... Without going into too much detail since i'm sure we all know too well what i'm talking about. :banghead: Is there any way to either disable notification or at the very least shorten it? It's so annoying.. :) Thanks in advance.:dance:

tomthbomb 02-28-2012 07:33 PM

I don't have that announcement with my 730N but then the uconnect works about 2/3's of the time. Do you have the 730 or 430?

patastinky 02-28-2012 07:38 PM

I am pretty sure it's the 430, but now that you said 730 i'm not sure.. The uconnect works all the time i don't have an issue with it, but it's just that when an incoming call comes in it has that long annoying message... :-x

pdubois64 02-28-2012 07:38 PM

The UC in my Grand Cherokee doesn't say that, it just says "Incoming call, press uconnect button to answer" I haven't even noticed what it says in the new JK but I think it's the same.

patastinky 02-28-2012 08:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pdubois64 (Post 2085270)
The UC in my Grand Cherokee doesn't say that, it just says "Incoming call, press uconnect button to answer" I haven't even noticed what it says in the new JK but I think it's the same.

Oh man... I think i bought a Grand Cherokee navi then :( :doh:Is there any chance i can perhaps still edit it from saying that? My Audi just beeps and responses right away. The uconnect has delay when you press accept, just wanna shorten that.:punk:

courtney123 02-28-2012 08:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by patastinky (Post 2085414)
Oh man... I think i bought a Grand Cherokee navi then :( :doh:Is there any chance i can perhaps still edit it from saying that? My Audi just beeps and responses right away. The uconnect has delay when you press accept, just wanna shorten that.:punk:

I just reach over and press the phone button on the radio and it goes right to the call.
Try that.

pdubois64 02-28-2012 08:25 PM

Does the Audi use Uconnect or a different system? Uconnect has it's issues for sure. My iPhone 4 when they first came out would connect 1 of 10 calls if that until they finally came out with an update for it. Just make sure you have the latest update, it can be found on certain sites.

C6Rubicon 02-28-2012 08:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by patastinky
Hey Guys... Is there any way to either disable notification or at the very least shorten it? It's so annoying.. :) Thanks in advance.:dance:

Sure......just turn off the Bluetooth on your phone :)

pdubois64 02-28-2012 08:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by C6Rubicon (Post 2085518)

That works too...dam $173 fine here now if a cop sees a phone anywhere near your face:(

Tkalagher 02-28-2012 09:00 PM

I will be watching this as it drives me nuts too. Press the button to answer and the Uconnect still has to go through the whole thing first.

patastinky 02-28-2012 09:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by courtney123 (Post 2085508)
I just reach over and press the phone button on the radio and it goes right to the call.
Try that.

Yeah, but there is still like a 4-6 second delay before it actually picksup. It's not instant like in most vehicles.

Quote:

Originally Posted by pdubois64 (Post 2085510)
Does the Audi use Uconnect or a different system? Uconnect has it's issues for sure. My iPhone 4 when they first came out would connect 1 of 10 calls if that until they finally came out with an update for it. Just make sure you have the latest update, it can be found on certain sites.

The Audi uses a different system, not uconnect. However when i get a call and press the button it instantly connect. It's frustrating when I take the JEEP out and I get an incoming call; having to wait those 4-6 seconds to connect after pressing accept. :banghead:

Quote:

Originally Posted by C6Rubicon (Post 2085518)

lol :facepalm:

Quote:

Originally Posted by pdubois64 (Post 2085532)
That works too...dam $173 fine here now if a cop sees a phone anywhere near your face:(

:thumb:

pdubois64 02-28-2012 09:54 PM

The most annoying thing is when it doesn't connect at all, then I answer the call with my phone, and then half way through the call it connects with the delay.

This is just on my JK, only happened once, but I've probably only answered 5 calls, bought 2/15. Maybe it needs a firmware upgrade as well, but it was built Jan 11/12 so i would think it would be current, but I guess the radio could be a lot older.

xsdbs 03-01-2012 07:23 PM

Ok, so a second of patience is all that's really needed here and a little understanding of the system. If you have a contact in your phonebook and receive a call from that contact there are a few things that are happening and these things take time to process.
If you receive a call from a contact, the phone sends an "incoming call" message to the Uconnect module and also the number that is coming in. Uconnect then checks the phonebook contact list that has been downloaded to UC. Then when UC recognizes the contact name and number (this is all done in miliseconds) then UC starts on a "menu drive" to let you know that you have an incoming call from Frank (or whoever).
Shes already speaking and doesn't shut up just cause your wanting to speak. So if you let her start her message and you know when the right moment is to push the button, then you would have the call become active instead of you pushing, pushing and pushing the button and then being frustrated.
So when she starts to say "incoming call" from Frank, press Uconnect.......
After she says "press" this is the ok time. Try pressing "accept" or the UC button here. The call will become active.
Now on the otherhand, have you noticed that if someone calls you that is not in your contacts list, that call can be answered quicker than the phone call from the person that is in your contacts list. You see it's the menu that takes the extra time. Kind of like when you make a call to your Dr's office and you get into the menu loop. You can't just start pressing buttons, they don't do anything (most of the time) until the menu is read.
So breathe and wait the couple seconds till the word "press" is said.

tomthbomb 03-01-2012 08:09 PM

If an incoming call is from someone in your address book should their name be displayed on the screen or just their phone number?

Dusthol 03-01-2012 09:06 PM

Name and number comes up

DrHolliday 03-01-2012 11:52 PM

I'm sick of the delay and the message I get every time some one sends me a text...

'you have a new SMS text message from *delay* -contact name- press the uconnect phone button and say "text message" to read it'

I'm sick of that message b/c I don't care if I have a new text when I'm driving. I'd rather keep listening to the radio. Anyone know a way to turn that off?

xsdbs 03-02-2012 08:07 PM

Tom, As you know I can speak mostly from experience of the 430N. However if the contact is in your (uh, my) phonebook, then the incoming call will display the contacts name. This of course as long as the pb has successfully be downloaded from the phone.

Quote:

Originally Posted by tomthbomb (Post 2092653)
If an incoming call is from someone in your address book should their name be displayed on the screen or just their phone number?

xsdbs 03-02-2012 08:12 PM

Try this:
press the Uconnect button and say "set up, incoming SMS announcement,"
You will be told that the announcement is on, "would you like to turn the announcement off"? I bet you know the answer here, don't you.

Quote:

Originally Posted by DrHolliday (Post 2093430)
I'm sick of the delay and the message I get every time some one sends me a text...

'you have a new SMS text message from *delay* -contact name- press the uconnect phone button and say "text message" to read it'

I'm sick of that message b/c I don't care if I have a new text when I'm driving. I'd rather keep listening to the radio. Anyone know a way to turn that off?

DrHolliday 03-02-2012 10:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xsdbs (Post 2096452)
Try this:
press the Uconnect button and say "set up, incoming SMS announcement,"
You will be told that the announcement is on, "would you like to turn the announcement off"? I bet you know the answer here, don't you.

Maybe it will be like the first time I tried setting it up, I got lost in the menus right as my wife hopped in the Jeep to here it say "did you say, 'I love you'?" My wife just asked what me and the Jeep are talking about :rofl:

xsdbs 03-04-2012 06:45 PM

Any update on this?

Quote:

Originally Posted by DrHolliday (Post 2096791)
Maybe it will be like the first time I tried setting it up, I got lost in the menus right as my wife hopped in the Jeep to here it say "did you say, 'I love you'?" My wife just asked what me and the Jeep are talking about :rofl:

zerinS4 08-01-2013 09:25 AM

Has anyone figured this out yet in the last year? The stupid notification voice is longer than the actual number of rings, and she's still talking by the time I answer the phone.

jdelamater 08-21-2013 11:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zerinS4 (Post 4027603)
Has anyone figured this out yet in the last year? The stupid notification voice is longer than the actual number of rings, and she's still talking by the time I answer the phone.

:dance:Yes. Hit uconnect, say settings, and then listen to the prompts. One of the options is "incoming notifications" or something like that. Speak that option, it will ask if you want to turn it off, say yes.

Now, when someone calls it will pop up on your screen but the system will not talk to you at all. You can answer the phone right away by hitting the phone button and the system will not care. Problem solved!

I just did this on my Town and Country with a 430 unit. I created an account just to post my success so others don't have to keep looking!

rustynail11 08-21-2013 11:50 AM

While it is better than nothing I think that Uconnect is horrible. I liked the bluetooth interface on my old Honda Accord much better.

narphenal 08-21-2013 12:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jdelamater (Post 4104492)
:dance:Yes. Hit uconnect, say settings, and then listen to the prompts. One of the options is "incoming notifications" or something like that. Speak that option, it will ask if you want to turn it off, say yes.

Now, when someone calls it will pop up on your screen but the system will not talk to you at all. You can answer the phone right away by hitting the phone button and the system will not care. Problem solved!

I just did this on my Town and Country with a 430 unit. I created an account just to post my success so others don't have to keep looking!

If this works than I am indebted to you. The stupid readout has been the source as my anger for awhile now.

xsdbs 08-22-2013 08:41 AM

This won't work. The "confirmation off" is for incoming text messages and not for calls.
I don't know about others but there's plenty of times that I'm driving and I'm in deep thought about something and if I just heard a slight beep or any other sound to let me know about an incoming call, I might not notice it. The slight 3-5 seconds that the prompt is, well at times it can be annoying but it's also one of those things that I just accept. I have other things that I can use my frustration on instead of this little loss of 3 - 5 seconds.
Here's how I accept incoming calls:
when she says "incoming call from........... press Uconnect button to accept..."
I wait till she says "incoming call from <whoever>, once she says the name I press the Uconnect button, there might be another word or two but the prompt ends sooner than if I press the button when she starts the prompt.

Quote:

Originally Posted by narphenal (Post 4104802)
If this works than I am indebted to you. The stupid readout has been the source as my anger for awhile now.

Twoxstreem 08-22-2013 09:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jdelamater (Post 4104492)

Great advise! Thanks for the post.

xsdbs 08-22-2013 10:14 AM

I remembered something but couldn't edit the original posting:
There are 2 prompts to turn something off:
1) Confirmations
2) Incoming message announcements

A) The "confirmation off" is used to shorten up the Uconnect prompts when you're placing a call. Uconnect won't ask you if the name that you spoke or the numbers you said to dial are correct. So when you say "call <name> or dial <number>, Uconnect will say "calling" instead of "calling <name>, is that correct?

B) Incoming message announcement is used for when there is an incoming text message (your phone has to support MAP in order for this to work), Uconnect will not tell you that there is an incoming message, there will only be an envelope on the bottom of the radio screen.
There IS NOT an option to turn off the incoming call notification.

Quote:

Originally Posted by xsdbs (Post 4107717)
This won't work. The "confirmation off" is for incoming text messages and not for calls.
I don't know about others but there's plenty of times that I'm driving and I'm in deep thought about something and if I just heard a slight beep or any other sound to let me know about an incoming call, I might not notice it. The slight 3-5 seconds that the prompt is, well at times it can be annoying but it's also one of those things that I just accept. I have other things that I can use my frustration on instead of this little loss of 3 - 5 seconds.
Here's how I accept incoming calls:
when she says "incoming call from........... press Uconnect button to accept..."
I wait till she says "incoming call from <whoever>, once she says the name I press the Uconnect button, there might be another word or two but the prompt ends sooner than if I press the button when she starts the prompt.

ctodd 11-08-2013 10:08 PM

The problem with UConnect and the long announcement is only with phonebook entries. Therefore if you can block UConnect from acquiring your phonebook, you can avoid the trouble.

Here is how I got my iPhone to work.

First, factory reset UConnect. This will erase everything! I have my contacts synced on gmail, so I turned that off and it prompted me to delete contacts from phone. I said yes. So now I have a phone without any contacts and UConnect is empty. I then pair my phone to UConnect. Under the Bluetooth settings, to the right of UConnect, there is an info icon. Click it and you can turn off Contact syncing. I don't just turn it off, I uncheck everything first then turn it off. Then turn my gmail contact sync back on and the phone now has my contacts; however, UConnect does not.

You should be able to receive calls and immediately answer it.

Vt rider 11-09-2013 07:15 AM

After reading all these posts, I'm glad that I don't have the U-connect, and even gladder that I don't have a cell phone. More tech = more problems.

panthermark 11-09-2013 07:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vt rider (Post 5991226)
After reading all these posts, I'm glad that I don't have the U-connect, and even gladder that I don't have a cell phone. More tech = more problems.

Uconnect is awesome...

Think about it....these are really "first world" problems.