Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   TJ General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f282/)
-   -   LJ UNLIMITED HARDTOP. Sweet option (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f282/lj-unlimited-hardtop-sweet-option-143290.html)

motoxer96 03-01-2012 01:41 AM

LJ UNLIMITED HARDTOP. Sweet option

found these hard tops TJ Unlimited
look like a pretty sweet option. i have found it is hard to find a nice aftermarket top for the LJ model(also known as TJ unlimited). come in a two piece model. and they have sliding rear windows for people in the back seats. anyways i found them and thought it might be able to help somebody out with there search for a good looking hard top. $1800 is what their asking for them.

floridajpr 03-01-2012 11:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by motoxer96 (Post 2090269)
look like a pretty sweet option. i have found it is hard to find a nice aftermarket top for the LJ model(also known as TJ unlimited). come in a two piece model. and they have sliding rear windows for people in the back seats. anyways i found them and thought it might be able to help somebody out with there search for a good looking hard top. $1800 is what their asking for them.

I have the Rally Hardtop on my 2006 LJ and the only issues I have with it are the sliding windows work loose/slide open and rattle while driving. I have a plan to fix this but I will have to wait. My Jeep is in the shop getting a 4.7L Stroker put in right now. I actually went by the shop this morning and they are breaking in the cam right now and I should have my Jeep back tomorrow.
Other than they window rattle problem I love the new Rally Hardtop.

I cant wait till tomorrow!

sidewalk0863 03-01-2012 11:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by motoxer96 (Post 2090269)

check out this thread: http://www.wranglerforum.com/f5/any-...as-138292.html the one guy that posted has a really nice hardtop. id proly get one if i had an lj...

Neil F. 03-01-2012 12:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sidewalk0863 (Post 2091200)
check out this thread: http://www.wranglerforum.com/f5/any-...as-138292.html the one guy that posted has a really nice hardtop. id proly get one if i had an lj...

That one is a custom top he made. There is a long thread on Jeepforum.com on it.

dpalms 03-01-2012 12:43 PM

I don't know...Am I the only one who hates the sliding window? great functionality for people in the back but I just hate the look and you lose any security of having the hard top on. I wish they would sell the factory hard top by its self because I would totally buy one for the winter time.

crumb 03-01-2012 12:50 PM

I think the size of the side windows are sweet because they are so big but they look super goofy. It would be a trade off on looks for me.
The security issue is also a good point and if it rattles that would be annoying too. I would get a hard top for my LJ to quiet the driving noise.
Does it cut down on road noise significantly compared to a soft top?

commodore_dude 03-01-2012 01:23 PM

Some people say no, but my Jeep is absolutely quieter with the hard top on. I can't imagine when I'll feel like putting the soft top on again.

UnlimitedLJ04 03-01-2012 01:33 PM

I like that idea a lot. Wonder how the seals & sliding windows hold up. I don't like it enough to spend $2400 + shipping to replace my stock hard top though.

floridajpr 03-01-2012 07:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by UnlimitedLJ04 (Post 2091486)
I like that idea a lot. Wonder how the seals & sliding windows hold up. I don't like it enough to spend $2400 + shipping to replace my stock hard top though.

The Rallytop in question is $1795.95 +tax and shipping is free in the US. The rear window has two "T" twist handles w/ key locks on them and if you get a couple of those screw-on window rail locks, you will virtually eliminate being able to open the sliding window without breaking it and it will keep the slide windows from rattling.

I have the Rallytop because the body shop working on my Jeep somehow broke my facktory top and could not find a new top to replace it. I told them I would accept the Rallytop as a replacement. When you work out the few bugs in the Rallytop, it is a better top than the OEM hardtop because it comes carpet lined and is two piece. The top fits really tight and cuts the noise down considerably from the OEM hardtop. The two piece design makes it easier to take the LJ top off also because it is much lighter and managable than the OEM hardtop. I have had no leaks whatsoever with the Rallytop.

It does look a little different than the OEM hardtop and I believe it might have just a little bit more room than the OEM top. If you have rear passengers or a dog, they love the back sliding windows with a screen to keep the bugs out and get a nice breeze in the back seat.
The one thing you lose is the rear wiper (That I hardly ever used in the first place and I live in Florida where it can be sunny one minute and a potential downpour the next minute). You also lose the rear windshield washer (That I never hardly used either).

Oh yea, you lose the rear window defroster which I did use but you can get a rear window defroster put on your back window pretty cheap and they work pretty well. I might end up adding this later on. The windows are tinted on the Rallytop and you can add a sunroof and rear light to the Rallytop when you order if you want.

The Rallytop is pretty new to me so if I have any problems in the future I will post them up. I am getting my 2006 LJ Heap back tomorrow with a newly rebuilt 4.7L stroker, so I am excited! I had the dreaded OPDA problem at 90,000 miles and the Stroker is the route I took to fix the problem. Also I had a new OPDA modified w/ the spiral groove in the shaft to fix the problem.:punk:

QUIKRIDE86 09-19-2012 08:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dpalms (Post 2091368)
I don't know...Am I the only one who hates the sliding window? great functionality for people in the back but I just hate the look and you lose any security of having the hard top on. I wish they would sell the factory hard top by its self because I would totally buy one for the winter time.

Are you still looking for a top? I have one up on ebay right now and I'm right next door in Jersey. Steve
Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (LJ) 2 door Black one piece Hardtop | eBay