Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   YJ Tech Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f218/)
-   -   Please Help!!! Radio... (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f218/please-help-radio-143377.html)

hammerhead77 03-01-2012 01:51 PM

Please Help!!! Radio...

New to the forum. I have a 94 YJ 2.5. Radio does not work. Went to check the fuse and it doesn't have one. It has a weird fuse holder. Not s regular blade style or maxi. It almost looks like it may be a single blade fuse of some sort. Any help please!!

riceroni87 03-01-2012 02:30 PM

mine was hooked up with the dome light fuse. hope this helps

Timberwolf 03-01-2012 04:41 PM

factory or aftermarket radio?
got any pics?

hammerhead77 03-01-2012 10:45 PM

I meant to say in the fuse box of the jeep not an in line at the radio.

Willow Creek 03-02-2012 07:35 AM

The radio fuse is # 7 in the fuse box according to the wiring diagram and also controls the cigar lighter, it is 20 amp. i have the diagrams if you wish for me to send directly to you.

denisbaldwin 03-02-2012 07:52 AM

Mine was wired in with the headlight fuse. I really need to redo a bunch of that wiring.

Frenz 03-02-2012 08:14 AM

from owners manual.. Maybe check #16 under the hood 10a red = radio clock
does your cigar lighter work? (#7) yellow 20a = cigar radio

olbaid_83 03-02-2012 12:36 PM

mine is labeled under the dash as "acc"

Jay94YJ 03-02-2012 06:22 PM

there's a small fuse in the power distro box beside the battery that was blown on mine.

daniel.deemer 04-23-2013 10:51 PM

does your YJ have a dome light?

Quote:

Originally Posted by riceroni87 (Post 2091612)
mine was hooked up with the dome light fuse. hope this helps

I'm trying to figure out this same issue on my 91 YJ. I have the same issue as the OP of this thread. I have a soft top with no dome light.

Electrical diagnostics:

Cigarette lighter: not operable.
Clock: not operable.
Radio: not operable.

I put in a new aftermarket stereo, which wont work, I checked the fuse box, to find no fuse in the "Radio" spot. It also only has a single metal connection in that slot. Appears that it would not fit any conventional automotive fuse. I suspect the hot leads have been run to another fuse on the box, however the port labeled "radio" with its single contact intrigues me. See picture:

http://i1302.photobucket.com/albums/...ps311d3e20.jpg

http://i1302.photobucket.com/albums/...s38dfe754.jpeg

KentuckyMike 04-24-2013 02:12 AM

Since all those items you listed are not operable, your issue is more than likely in the fuse box next to the battery in the engine compartment. Take a tester and check all fuses in the box, i would just about bet there is a blown fuse in there. If not, look for ground issues.

Hockeygeek21 04-24-2013 07:31 AM

Yeah there is a small 10 amp fuse blown in the box next to your battery.

flcracker 04-24-2013 07:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by daniel.deemer (Post 3675270)
I'm trying to figure out this same issue on my 91 YJ. I have the same issue as the OP of this thread. I have a soft top with no dome light.

Electrical diagnostics:

Cigarette lighter: not operable.
Clock: not operable.
Radio: not operable.

I put in a new aftermarket stereo, which wont work, I checked the fuse box, to find no fuse in the "Radio" spot. It also only has a single metal connection in that slot. Appears that it would not fit any conventional automotive fuse. I suspect the hot leads have been run to another fuse on the box, however the port labeled "radio" with its single contact intrigues me. See picture:

http://i1302.photobucket.com/albums/...ps311d3e20.jpg

http://i1302.photobucket.com/albums/...s38dfe754.jpeg

I hooked up my stereo using the wires that were in the old one but the one that is supposed to be hot full time for station presets and clock had nothing so I ran a hot with fuse straight to battery.

I have the same question you do about those spots in the fuse box around the 5 amp fuses though, what the hell are you supposed to do with them??

daniel.deemer 04-24-2013 11:24 PM

Update:
sure enough, as riceroni87 specified, my hot lead for my radio was ran through the "dome light" fuse. Changed it, and everything is good to go. Whats interesting enough, is my clock and my cig. lighter still do not work. None of fuses in the underhood engine fuse block were blown. So that wasn't my issue. I'm still curious however, about the spot labeled "radio" "clock" and "cruise". It just seems like these slots were manufactured not to be used. They seem to serve no purpose, nor do they appear to be designed to hold a conventional automotive fuse.

For those who have not yet solved their problem: Ultimately you may just have to run a lead directly from your battery, or another source that is constantly hot. The beauty of these older Jeeps, is that although at first appearances things may seem complicated and messy. All the systems (to include the electrical) are simple when you break them down.

While my solution was simple enough, I'm still not satisfied because I still have unanswered questions about my fuse box... but at the end of the day... my stereo works, so i'm happy. Seems like PO's are always working against us... oh well...Tomorrow I'll poke around and see if I cant get my cig. lighter and clock working properly.

KentuckyMike 04-25-2013 07:11 AM

Those empty single connection slots are for plugging in accessories. If your jeep came with Cruise Control from the factory, it would have a wire running into that Cruise slot. The Radio slot is for hooking up an Accessory operated radio hot wire, meaning the wire will only be hot when the key is in the accessory position or the forward "On/Run position.

From the looks of that lower ACC/LPS 5 amp fuse, it is blown. I can see it is has dark spots around the test posts on top of the fuse, typically a sign it is blown. You can utilize any of those single slots for hot wire connections for different aftermarket electrical powered options you may install on the Jeep. Like a radio typically runs a lower amp fuse, like the 5 amp. To where something like KC lights would need a larger amp fuse, like a 10-20amp, depending on the factory recommendation for the accessory being installed..

Clocks are known for going out as are cig. lighters. But since both are not working, it may be a simple electrical issue. I would definitely take an electrical tester( can be bought for little money at any parts store) hook the alligator clip to a good ground then touch the tip to all the fuse test posts on top of the fuses. With the key in the ON position, both sides of all the fuses should show as hot. With the key off, some will be hot and some will not be. Such as the cigarette lighter fuse in most cars are always hot, even with the key off, that has changed in some cars, but Jeeps are typically always hot. Check all the fuses with tester, replace any that shows hot on one side and not on the opposite side(With the key in the ON position), then go from there.