Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   JK General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/)
-   -   35" Tires and Wheels (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/35-tires-and-wheels-143530.html)

Smyln 03-02-2012 01:29 AM

35" Tires and Wheels

I have a 2012 JKUR Auto.

I live in Erie, I drive about 60 Miles a day Highway at 70+ Mph.

Erie gets LOTS of SNOW. (need sipeing)

I rock crawl,

What is a good 35" tire, with Good Highway Manners, Has sipeing and is good in snow, and can be used to rock crawl.

Another thing.

I have the stock 17 Moab Wheels.

I also bought 16 Wheels for my winter tires.

What are the Pro's and Con's of

15"
16"
17" wheels.

Plus what backspacing do I want?

I am getting the 3.5" RK Max Travel Kit.

Thanks

JEEPDON 03-02-2012 07:02 AM

I would go with the smallest rim diameter you can get over your brakes-some 15"
and 16" for sure -- smaller rim= more sidewall.
4.5" back spacing or less.
I am running 16" black rock wheels with 4.25" BS with my 33's. no rubbing issues in front; and slight rubbing in rear at EXTREME flex! But I only have the TF leveling kit to keep CG as low as possible!
As for tires that you want--IDK-- probably some good AT's?? Someone else might chime in here.
Don Happy Jeeping

Smyln 03-02-2012 07:06 AM

Another question steel vs alloy?

Pros and cons

JEEPDON 03-02-2012 07:11 AM

I run steel, because if you do some minor damage to wheel lip, it can be quickly repaied with a BFH.
Alloys are lighter though, so it is kind of a matter of choice
For rock crawling, myself wpould stick to my Steelies.
Don

RemoJK 03-02-2012 07:39 AM

Erie PA? We'll have to go on a ride some time, down in pittsburgh

kbwwolf 03-02-2012 08:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Smyln (Post 2093494)
I have a 2012 JKUR Auto.
I live in Erie, I drive about 60 Miles a day Highway at 70+ Mph.
Erie gets LOTS of SNOW. (need sipeing)
I rock crawl,
What is a good 35" tire, with Good Highway Manners, Has sipeing and is good in snow, and can be used to rock crawl.
Another thing.
I have the stock 17 Moab Wheels.
I also bought 16 Wheels for my winter tires.
What are the Pro's and Con's of
15"
16"
17" wheels.
Plus what backspacing do I want?
I am getting the 3.5" RK Max Travel Kit.

GY DuraTracs are one of the best tires for snow, mud, slick driving conditions, on-road longevity, weight...BUT...I won't recommend them in this case, because of their relatively weak sidewall. Not great for rock crawling.

So I'll let someone else make the tire recommendation.

As for the wheels, like JEEPDON said, the alloys are much lighter, but can't be repaired if you bend or crack them. The steelies obviously can, but weigh a lot more. You'll have to decide whether saving weight or having a wheel you can potentially fix with a BFH is more important to you.

Smaller diameter wheels will be cheaper, especially when it comes to buying tires. It costs quite a bit less to put rubber on 15" wheels than it does 17" wheels. You'll also save weight, have more sidewall and a bigger contact patch with smaller wheels.

Be aware that most 15" alloy wheels will fit over your Jeep's brake calipers; most 15" steelies will not.

You want 4.5" backspacing or less on your aftermarket rims. The smaller the #, the more your tires will stick out from your Jeep. Again, size will make a difference here. Most of the 15's are gonna be in the 3.75 or less range, which means your tires will stick out past the fenders, whether the fenders are stock or aftermarket.

The farther the wheels stick out, the more stress they'll put on your wheel bearings.