Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   YJ Tech Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f218/)
-   -   first real drive in my yj with a clutch issue (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f218/first-real-drive-in-my-yj-with-a-clutch-issue-143533.html)

olbaid_83 03-02-2012 01:11 AM

first real drive in my yj with a clutch issue

so i took the heep for a drive today and its the first time ive driven it more than a few blocks. after about 20 miles i got off the highway(which it did fine on the highway) made it through the neighborhood and picked up my friend. i made it back out of the neighborhood and while waiting in line at a 4 way stop i noticed my clutch giving out....like the pressure behind my pedal went to zero and my clutch would not engage. i pumped the clutch pedal several times and it started working again. not 100% but worked enough to get me back on the highway and back home. anyone have any ideas on what this might be? it was dark out so i wasnt able to start searching for a leak or anything but i plan on checking it out tomorrow. any starting points would be appreciated. btw its an i6 with 5 speed. thnx in advance

MickeYJ 03-02-2012 01:41 AM

Mine did the same. The fluid thingy was empty.

darkproximity 03-02-2012 01:42 AM

hydraulic leak, either in the master or slave cylinder or somewhere in between :)

MickeYJ 03-02-2012 01:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by darkproximity
hydraulic leak, either in the master or slave cylinder or somewhere in between :)

If that's it I hope his YJ Is 94+ cause the slave is on the outside

darkproximity 03-02-2012 01:59 AM

its internal, he has an 89.. hopefully its not the slave cuz you know what that means..

MickeYJ 03-02-2012 02:03 AM

Yup. I hope it's not. That's what I thought it was on mine, or what others suggested I should say. But thankfully it just needed fluid :)

darkproximity 03-02-2012 02:04 AM

Yeah remember I helped you :)

MickeYJ 03-02-2012 02:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by darkproximity
Yeah remember I helped you :)

Yes I do! That's why I said it lol

darkproximity 03-02-2012 02:11 AM

Ah, im a bit slow tonight :\
I blame it on fixing crappy speaker wiring, fighting with my new speaker enclosures and installing new speakers for the better part of the afternoon

olbaid_83 03-02-2012 12:24 PM

ill trade you bad speaker wiring for leaky clutch any day...

alpo96792 03-04-2012 01:43 AM

question

new to the whole wrangler thing... loving it though :D so had it for about two weeks, changes and flushed all fluids, changed wires and plugs, replaced filter, and a few other things here and there. its a 89 with a 2.5 4 banger. 5 speed. anyways, was trying to teach my old lady the whole shifting thing and i think she messed up the clutch or something, my fault letting her try. the morning after when i started the jeep up I could not put it into gear, the clutch felt so loose and just gave completely. i checked the master cylinder (behind the steering wheel) and there was no fluid. got some DOT 3 fluid, refilled and started pumping the clutch. finally got it to work but i could not find the leak. any thoughts on what I should do or what happen. any ideas would help. thanks

darkproximity 03-04-2012 01:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alpo96792 (Post 2100538)
new to the whole wrangler thing... loving it though :D so had it for about two weeks, changes and flushed all fluids, changed wires and plugs, replaced filter, and a few other things here and there. its a 89 with a 2.5 4 banger. 5 speed. anyways, was trying to teach my old lady the whole shifting thing and i think she messed up the clutch or something, my fault letting her try. the morning after when i started the jeep up I could not put it into gear, the clutch felt so loose and just gave completely. i checked the master cylinder (behind the steering wheel) and there was no fluid. got some DOT 3 fluid, refilled and started pumping the clutch. finally got it to work but i could not find the leak. any thoughts on what I should do or what happen. any ideas would help. thanks

Sounds like a very serious problem and i would look at getting it replaced.. try craigslist personals or one of those online dating websites. unfortunately it might cost you a lot in the long run for a divorce :(

olbaid_83 03-04-2012 03:36 AM

hahahahaha wow....dark thats funny

darkproximity 03-04-2012 10:36 AM

Lol :)