Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   JK General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/)
-   -   Looking at 2012 Wrangler with child in the family (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/looking-at-2012-wrangler-with-child-in-the-family-143608.html)

Joey1976 03-02-2012 11:32 AM

Looking at 2012 Wrangler with child in the family

Hello all!

I am currently in the market for a 2012 Wrangler. I would like to stay with the 2 door mainly for looks and price. I have 1 daughter who is 10. I used to have a Wrangler X, but then traded in because I had a small child.

My daughter is 10 now and a lot more responsible. My only concern is that my wife is always looking at safety ratings and we know how the Wrangler does. She is concerned about my daughter riding in the backseat. On the other hand, my daughter would love it.

We have a Jeep Patriot we can use for long trips and when we need more space. The Wrangler is going to be my daily commute vehicle and fun toy on Sundays (my only day off of the week).

I have looked at the Unlimited, but the 4 door just does not interest me at all for some reason.

Any ideas in convincing my wife on the 2 door?

daggo66 03-02-2012 11:42 AM

I'm confused. I'm under the impression that the JK gets excellent safety ratings.

Phishe 03-02-2012 12:01 PM

My wife also wanted me to get the 4 door. (Well, she didn't particularly want me to get a Jeep at all.) I had no interest in the 4 door. I have 2 boys, ages 4 and 18 months. They do just fine in my 2 door. My wife has a mini van and that's what we use when the 4 of us are going somewhere together. Right now I only have one car seat in my Wrangler and it's not that bad getting the boys in or out. Sure, it's easier with the 4 door, but totally doable with the 2.

No idea how you should try to convince your wife since I don't know her at all. But, with only 1 kid, and 10 years old at that, this is a no brainer to me. If you want the 2 door, get the 2 door. If your wife is the type to be concerned about money, at least you can tell her it's cheaper.

Good luck, and have fun. 4 doors good, 2 doors better. :whistling:

pdubois64 03-02-2012 12:01 PM

I just looked it up because I never have before. Gets a poor rating for side impact, on models without side airbags. Get side airbags I guess:

IIHS-HLDI: Jeep Wrangler 2-door

Comac90 03-02-2012 01:19 PM

I have 4 kids, 4 doors and side airbags. :thumb: The 4 door is great - lots of room for gear and better at climbing dry, rock waterfalls. ;)

T

Matador 03-02-2012 01:54 PM

Regarding the crash tests or ANY reviews for that matter, I consider the source. IIHS gave the Jeep an overall Poor rating, partly because of...

During the crash, the driver door opened. This opening didn't significantly affect dummy movement during the test but shouldn't happen because, in some crashes, it could allow partial or complete occupant ejection, especially if the occupant is unbelted. This door opening resulted in a structure rating downgrade from good to acceptable.

So they basically downgraded the Jeep from good to an "acceptable" rating based on the off-chance that the driver could be ejected if they are unbelted??? I wonder how many other vehicles they apply the same criteria towards?

With that said. I have 2 boys (9 & 11) and they climb in an out of my Rubicon without a single complaint/problem. I plan on getting some side rails to help them climb in/out and also to offset side impacts and hopefully prevent my door from opening and me flying out.

One last thing regarding the crash results, rear occupants got a good rating, but again, consider the source.

stevil 03-02-2012 02:32 PM

For me (and my wife) - the fold & tumble rear seat was not good for child safety on the account that you can remove it, and I'm not sure if there is a latch system for it. We had a '98 TJ prior to kids, and it went when my wife was 8 mos. pregnant (it was her daily driver).

When I started looking at the 2012's, the 4 door was a slam dunk because the seats are bolted to the floor and have a latch system. The side impact airbags sealed the deal. Also, IIRC, consumer reports (i know, i know...) rates the Jeep lowest in its class without the side impact bags, but states that it's near the top with the optional side impact airbags in the seat.

pkmcd99 03-02-2012 02:38 PM

Who buys a wrangler for safety? Im confused, the Grand Cherokee is the safety wagon. The Wrangler is the fun wagon.

pkmcd99 03-02-2012 02:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stevil
For me (and my wife) - the fold & tumble rear seat was not good for child safety on the account that you can remove it, and I'm not sure if there is a latch system for it. We had a '98 TJ prior to kids, and it went when my wife was 8 mos. pregnant (it was her daily driver).

When I started looking at the 2012's, the 4 door was a slam dunk because the seats are bolted to the floor and have a latch system. The side impact airbags sealed the deal. Also, IIRC, consumer reports (i know, i know...) rates the Jeep lowest in its class without the side impact bags, but states that it's near the top with the optional side impact airbags in the seat.

There is mothing in the wrangler class..ie: convertable, four wheel drive, trail gobbling beast

pkmcd99 03-02-2012 02:41 PM

FYI, I lug two kids, two dogs and my wife an I around. The ground clearance the our jeep has, gives us peace of mind when imagining a collision with a honda or a deer.

ranjr 03-02-2012 02:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pdubois64
Get side airbags I guess:

Or avoid roads.

ranjr 03-02-2012 02:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Comac90
I have 4 kids, 4 doors and side airbags. :thumb: The 4 door is great - lots of room for gear and better at climbing dry, rock waterfalls. ;)

T

The side airbags deploy forward so they offer no protection for rear occupants.

NFRs2000NYC 03-02-2012 03:37 PM

They are a tad weaker in side impacts, but great front to rear, and rollover. To make it really safe, a 2" lift and 35" tires will lift the truck (passenger compartment) out of the strike zone of 95% of road vehicles, and will be extremely safe. I take my 18 month daughter around in my rig all the time.

hedley-lamarr08 03-02-2012 03:52 PM

F150 is a huge truck... its side impact ratings are worse than a Wrangler, 2 or 4 door. I have been a RN in a local ER for about 10 years now. Yeah, the safety ratings matter, but they don't mean jack when someone is wreckless. Anything can happen. Would that make it more likely with a lower rating? Perhaps. I am looking hard a Wrangler and I too have a child, 10 years old. The wife wants a 4 door just for extra room. Not safety. But of course, with a 3 person family, she refuses anything less in size than a Honda Pilot. To each their own.... Just don't let her listen to the myth of the roll overs and such... Its move how you drive than what you drive... I guess she could always go buy you a Volvo... Or Saab.

Drock1979 03-02-2012 04:10 PM

Just take her for the test drive, if she is a keeper she will live the ride and ask where to sign. I think the Tj is safer just due to being made of metal :hide: Just throw on some body armor and your driving a family tank. :dance:

bama2012rubicon 03-02-2012 04:40 PM

I have a 6 and 10 year old and we do just fine in my 2dr.

jp2611 03-02-2012 04:56 PM

Not to compare apples to oranges--but how many vehicles sit as high as a stock wrangler on a full frame?

All I can think of is full size trucks.....price one of those out with rear seats and 4wd suddenly a no - brainer IMO.

Couple more FACTS--I was rear ended by a Dodge Ram 6 months after I got my TJ. Totaled the Ram...... $1800 damage to the Jeep. (Rear tailgate and trim pieces)

Two years later full size Gmc Conversion van pulls out in front of me. I hit him in the driver's side rear just in front of his back tire. Van totaled. Lil Red got new Driver's side front fender and bumper and fogs.....didn't even trip air bag (may have been the angle)

Have heard about people hitting deer and driving away no worse for wear.

I will stick with the JEEP. Still got the LIL RED TJ just got a JK--TRU BLU. I don't think there is a safer, affordable vehicle that I enjoy driving..maybe a GC SRT8 but that is WAAAAAY down the road.

Happy JEEPIN'!!

mxman122 03-02-2012 05:01 PM

Just remember you asked.....

Are you a man or a mouse !! Who wears the pants in the family ?? Be the alpha male !!!

Ok back on track. If it's your daily commuter than she should understand. At some point she'll desire a certain vehicle that you may not like and of course you'll be understanding as she eventually will ok the 2 dr Jeep.

Phishe 03-02-2012 05:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mxman122 (Post 2095786)
Are you a man or a mouse !! Who wears the pants in the family ?? Be the alpha male !!!

No offense, and I'm guessing you were saying this tongue in cheek, but I really hate it when people apply peer pressure in this vein. This isn't the 50's.

NFRs2000NYC 03-02-2012 05:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hedley-lamarr08 (Post 2095543)
F150 is a huge truck... its side impact ratings are worse than a Wrangler, 2 or 4 door. I have been a RN in a local ER for about 10 years now. Yeah, the safety ratings matter, but they don't mean jack when someone is wreckless. Anything can happen. Would that make it more likely with a lower rating? Perhaps. I am looking hard a Wrangler and I too have a child, 10 years old. The wife wants a 4 door just for extra room. Not safety. But of course, with a 3 person family, she refuses anything less in size than a Honda Pilot. To each their own.... Just don't let her listen to the myth of the roll overs and such... Its move how you drive than what you drive... I guess she could always go buy you a Volvo... Or Saab.

The cage in the JK is superb for rollover protection. I have seen it "used" in person. Don't let people think that the soft/hard top is the protection, but the big 3" tube steel inside.

Comac90 03-02-2012 05:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ranjr (Post 2095310)
The side airbags deploy forward so they offer no protection for rear occupants.

yeah, i know ... they're 'front side airbags' and mounted in the front seats. ;)

t

NFRs2000NYC 03-02-2012 05:46 PM

Put it this way, regardless of ratings, I would rather be in my JKU with my steel front/rear bumpers, 3 feet in the air, with 33" tires and a rollcage than in a Prius when it comes time to be in an accident.

mxman122 03-02-2012 05:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phishe (Post 2095818)
No offense, and I'm guessing you were saying this tongue in cheek, but I really hate it when people apply peer pressure in this vein. This isn't the 50's.

Yes joking... 21 years of marriage, my nuts are on the kitchen counter in a jar and I'm only allowed to have them if I behave.

Strokerswild 03-02-2012 06:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pkmcd99 (Post 2095284)
Who buys a wrangler for safety? Im confused, the Grand Cherokee is the safety wagon. The Wrangler is the fun wagon.

This. ^

Based on my TJ experiences, Wranglers aren't the best choices for daily drivers. And I was essentially single when I owned them.

Now that I have no more real need for a half-ton pickup, it's Wrangler time again.

hedley-lamarr08 03-02-2012 06:53 PM

I would trust a jeep... don't own one yet, but i'm planning hard on it... safety has nothing to do with my decision for this purchase... i am stuck for 2/4 door... just for personal space.... not safety... i just can't decide if i want to fork out the cash now for a Rubicon or just add on to a sport as i go....

cosmos 03-02-2012 08:46 PM

I think putting some beefy rock rails on the side would give the other cars crumple zones something extra to do and make a JK fair much better in a side impact.

I C 03-03-2012 03:58 AM

I used to think the 10 yr old enjoyed the 2 door and the 8 yr old too. They did . A lot. :thumb: It's fun climbing in the back and over the wheels in the top-off times.

But only because they didn't know how much more they would enjoy the independence of actually opening their own doors, having space in the back to actually put stuff - kid stuff like baseball bags, bikes, tree limbs for school projects, the dog etc.

Go four door. :wavey:

hedley-lamarr08 03-03-2012 09:49 AM

I have pondered the 2/4 door thing for months... its the reason I haven't pulled the trigger on a deal yet.... But the more i look at it, if I get an auto, the wife can drive the 2 door easily if she needs it and I can take her car if I really need that much space... I'd guess the 4 door probably has a little smoother ride on the interstate due to wheel base, but overall, i'm betting its not enough to make that much of a difference...

NFRs2000NYC 03-03-2012 09:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hedley-lamarr08 (Post 2097910)
I have pondered the 2/4 door thing for months... its the reason I haven't pulled the trigger on a deal yet.... But the more i look at it, if I get an auto, the wife can drive the 2 door easily if she needs it and I can take her car if I really need that much space... I'd guess the 4 door probably has a little smoother ride on the interstate due to wheel base, but overall, i'm betting its not enough to make that much of a difference...

You would be surprised how much better the ride is in the unlimited, especially if you live in a state that has deteriorating roads like NY.

suicideking 03-03-2012 10:02 AM

I have a 2 boys, 3 and 1. Since they're still in child seats, the 2 door wasn't an option for me. If the Wrangler didn't come in a 4 door, I wouldn't have one.

I figure to hopefully have this Jeep for around 10 years. At that point, I will switch to a 2 door.

I also agree that adding rock rails will give you more safety for side impact. I have Ace Rails and they're solid! I do feel safer on the road with them.