Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   JK General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/)
-   -   HID Kits... Yes or No? (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/hid-kits-yes-or-no-143635.html)

elundergan 03-02-2012 01:35 PM

HID Kits... Yes or No?

I was thinking about putting HIDs in my 08 Wrangler JK Rubi but wasnt sure if other people had problems with them mis-firing when the doors are unlocked and the headlight automatically come on. I had HIDs in my Scion tC and loved the look of them but had issues with them mis-firing and would have to turn them off and back on to get them to light correctly.

Does anyone know of a way to turn the auto headlights off when the doors are unlocked?

Thanks

Barrie 03-02-2012 01:39 PM

Here you go, 1 minute using the search feature.

http://www.wranglerforum.com/f33/aft...HID+headlights

kbwwolf 03-02-2012 01:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by elundergan (Post 2095115)
Does anyone know of a way to turn the auto headlights off when the doors are unlocked?
Thanks

If you've got an EVIC (onboard computer), you can do it through that.

MTH 03-02-2012 01:48 PM

I'm sure it can be done, though I have no idea how.

So I contribute only to note--as is stated in the thread linked by Barrie--that HID coversions are illegal in all 50 states. There are much better ways to improve your lighting legally. :thumb:

elundergan 03-02-2012 01:50 PM

I have had HIDs in all of my cars including my 09 Kawasaki Ninja and have never had an issue with them being illegal. No cop trouble here.

MTH 03-02-2012 02:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by elundergan (Post 2095167)
I have had HIDs in all of my cars including my 09 Kawasaki Ninja and have never had an issue with them being illegal. No cop trouble here.

It was just an FYI. My understanding is that they are in fact illegal under Federal law in all 50 states, premised on the idea that retrofitted HID installs are very hard on other drivers' eyes and therefore dangerous. Whether you get pulled or not is a separate issue. If you encounter a sufficiently educated and inspired officer, you'll be ticketed. I'd expect the vehicle would be impounded as well, since (presuming it's dark) you'll be unable to drive away "safely." It sounds like the risk of that as a practical matter is pretty low in your particular locale though, so there you have it.

Hilldweller 03-02-2012 02:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by elundergan (Post 2095167)

Well, there are people who drive home drunk through school zones every day and don't get caught --- "no cop trouble" --- does that make it wise or moral to do?
It's the same sort of thing when you step back and look at it objectively. We all share the roads and our actions/decisions impact others.

The thread that Barrie linked has a legal/safe HID alternative listed and there are other ways to improve the lighting performance of the JK.

I have a FIAT 500 and it has bi-HIR projectors, one of the best headlight systems available.
But still there are owners that gotta tweak even that.
500 madness HID kit

Disraeli 03-02-2012 02:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hilldweller (Post 2095229)
I have a FIAT 500 and it has bi-HIR projectors, one of the best headlight systems available.
500 madness HID kit

I just received a box from Susquehanna MotorSports in my office this morning and I've been terrified to open it.

I've been feeling extremely apprehensive and unmanly about my fear of starting this mod.

It is only through your willingness to state that you own a Fiat 500, that gives me the courage to admit those unmanly feelings to the board.

Thank you.

Oh and I might be deferring to your skillz a little this weekend. So pre-thank you for that.

sneck 03-02-2012 02:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hilldweller (Post 2095229)
Well, there are people who drive home drunk through school zones every day and don't get caught --- "no cop trouble" --- does that make it wise or moral to do?
It's the same sort of thing when you step back and look at it objectively. We all share the roads and our actions/decisions impact others.

The thread that Barrie linked has a legal/safe HID alternative listed and there are other ways to improve the lighting performance of the JK.

500 madness HID kit

you own a fiat 500 too? a man after my own heart :dance:

ranjr 03-02-2012 02:42 PM

Is it illegal to run with your high beams on? I see people do that all the time and it really hurts my eyes.

I remember a friend of mine got pulled over for driving with his parking lights on, cop said it was illegal. Funny how most GMs now use them as DRLs. I wonder if he writes a lot of tickets??

Barrie 03-02-2012 03:03 PM

Seeing this thread has already derailed and has failed to stay polite. :wavey: