Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   Land Use Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f116/)
-   -   Waterproof interior? (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f116/waterproof-interior-143746.html)

golferguy111 03-02-2012 10:26 PM

Waterproof interior?

Hey guys,
I just got an 08 jk Sahara 2 dr, and I was wondering just how weatherproof the interior is. Mine has the nav system, and I was wondering if it is safe to hose down the interior after a day in the mud w/o doors. I just want to make sure that I don't destroy the electronics by getting them wet. Consequently, should I start carrying an emergency cover for the days where i don't have the hardtop on and I get an unexpected shower.

Thanks for y'all's help

InfernoGirl 03-03-2012 09:00 AM

Don't hose the dash or steering wheel. The radio and clockspring will be the weak points. A little water won't hurt, but soaking them just isn't good at all. Getting caught in the rain occasionally should be ok, depending on which direction the wind is blowing. If the radio gets wet, don't turn it on until it is fully dry, which may take a few days depending on conditions.

As a side note, I should say that if you are like most of us you will find that it doesn't take too many trips mudding doorless to determine that the clean up is not worth it.... ;) When you spend more time cleaning up and waiting for seats to dry than you do actually wheeling it kinda looses it's appeal...

golferguy111 03-12-2012 07:17 PM

How about the carpet? Is it relatively water resistant?

TJNewbie 06-16-2012 06:53 PM

We just had 5 straight days of thunderstorms, and some how some water got into my tail gate area and the foot well of the back seat area (found a missing floor plug)- that soaked the carpets. they smelled pretty rank after a day in the heat with the windows up. So I pulled them all out. they have since dried out. they look and smell ok, but I'm thinking of leaving them out, for a while and see how much easier clean up is after some light muddin'.

Jodfie 06-17-2012 10:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TJNewbie (Post 2480650)
We just had 5 straight days of thunderstorms, and some how some water got into my tail gate area and the foot well of the back seat area (found a missing floor plug)- that soaked the carpets. they smelled pretty rank after a day in the heat with the windows up. So I pulled them all out. they have since dried out. they look and smell ok, but I'm thinking of leaving them out, for a while and see how much easier clean up is after some light muddin'.

i learned this when i flooded out my 4runner leaving the window down...take newspaper and lay it out...it will absorb all the nasty smell and any moisture left over...:thumb:

TJNewbie 06-18-2012 08:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jodfie (Post 2482481)
i learned this when i flooded out my 4runner leaving the window down...take newspaper and lay it out...it will absorb all the nasty smell and any moisture left over...:thumb:

Thanks soo much for the Tip, I'll give it a try. The wife had one of those BIG insulated mugs filled with ice water, in her 2008 Santa Fe a couple days ago, and it flipped over and spilled in her passenger floor board (wet carpet too) I joked with her- told her to pull the carpet and the floor plugs. she didn't appriciate my humor.