Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   JK General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/)
-   -   2 door vs 4 door (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/2-door-vs-4-door-143759.html)

Rawhide.72 03-03-2012 02:00 AM

2 door vs 4 door

ok so I am about 2 or 3 semesters away from buying a jeep. I know I want to buy a brand new JKU. as of right now I am in a research stage. I want to ask you the owners.I have test driven both but for some reason I am like/leaning towards the 4 door Whats the different, pro vs con or anything else between the 2 and 4 door JK? Cheers! :thumb:

strider_mt2k 03-03-2012 04:42 AM

While it is discouraged to simply say "do a search" I will venture that this is a very popular topic and exists in several existing threads.

That being said...
When it became time to get the Jeep, I was originally planning on a 2 door and permanently removing the back seat.

My wife likes the Unlimited, and when I saw how the seats fold down so nicely to create a spacious cargo area I was completely sold on the Unlimited and haven't looked back.

ChasmCrawler 03-03-2012 05:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rawhide.72 (Post 2097256)
ok so I am about 2 or 3 semesters away from buying a jeep. I know I want to buy a brand new JKU. as of right now I am in a research stage. I want to ask you the owners.I have test driven both but for some reason I am like/leaning towards the 4 door Whats the different, pro vs con or anything else between the 2 and 4 door JK? Cheers! :thumb:

I just traded my 2012 2DR Sahara for a 2012 4DR Rubicon mainly because of ease of getting in and out of backseat, cargo space and towing capacity. Here's some pro's and con's. Some may matter to you and/or your particular driving situation, like road manners vs. off-road manners; life situation, are you in need of 4 doors to let your passengers get in/out easier; cargo space, are you going to carry anything and still need the backseat at the same time; towing, what size load are you hauling.

2Door Pros: Looks better than the 4 door with the top down
Slightly quicker than the 4door (depending on your gears)
Better turning radius and approach angles
Slightly better gas mileage
Cost less to purchase

2Door Cons: PIA to get in/out of the backseat
Cargo space (unless you remove the rear seat)
Towing capacity
Ride comfort/Road manners
Cramped rear seat legroom

4Door Pros: Easy access to rear seat
More legroom room for rear seat passengers
More cargo room w/o folding or removing rear seat
Better ride comfort
Better towing capacity

4Door Cons: Slightly worse gas mileage
Not as good turning radius/approach angles
Doesn't look as good with the top off
A little tougher to park
Cost more to purchase

It probably would come down to your specific situation and how you are going to use your JK. Do you have kids? How much can you afford? Does ease of getting in/out of the backseat matter to you? Cargo space?

I can tell you that I really do like both for their own reasons. You'll still get the 'Fun' factor no matter if you have a 2door or 4door. For me, it just really came down to how I was going to use my JK. I think if I was still in my 20's or 30's I probably would've keep my 2 door, but being close to 40 I feel that I need to be a little more comfortable while driving as well as my rear seat passengers being the same. I don't think you'll be disappointed with either choice.

kjeeper10 03-03-2012 06:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChasmCrawler

I just traded my 2012 2DR Sahara for a 2012 4DR Rubicon mainly because of ease of getting in and out of backseat, cargo space and towing capacity. Here's some pro's and con's. Some may matter to you and/or your particular driving situation, like road manners vs. off-road manners; life situation, are you in need of 4 doors to let your passengers get in/out easier; cargo space, are you going to carry anything and still need the backseat at the same time; towing, what size load are you hauling.

Cost less to purchase

Towing capacity

Better ride comfort
Better towing capacity

A little tougher to park
Cost more to purchase

It probably would come down to your specific situation and how you are going to use your JK. Do you have kids? How much can you afford? Does ease of getting in/out of the backseat matter to you? Cargo space?

I can tell you that I really do like both for their own reasons. You'll still get the 'Fun' factor no matter if you have a 2door or 4door. For me, it just really came down to how I was going to use my JK. I think if I was still in my 20's or 30's I probably would've keep my 2 door, but being close to 40 I feel that I need to be a little more comfortable while driving as well as my rear seat passengers being the same. I don't think you'll be disappointed with either choice.

Pretty much says it all ^^

pdubois64 03-03-2012 06:34 AM

It really depends on whether or not you need all the cargo space/rear seating.

I had a JKU when it was my primary vehicle. But I now have a Grand Cherokee as well, so it's only me and the dog in the Wrangler, so I have no need for a back seat. I've already taken it out. If I had a need for a back seat, I would have bought another JKU.

A couple of things I've noticed that I like better about the 2 door so far:

-crazy tight turning radius
-great visibility when backing up
-the ride isn't any worse than the 4-dr
-the hard top is easier to remove
-it looks more like a Jeep, and not like a Hummer:eek:

Comac90 03-03-2012 06:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChasmCrawler (Post 2097407)

Cost less to purchase

Towing capacity

Better ride comfort
Better towing capacity

A little tougher to park
Cost more to purchase

I agree with you except:

The 'top off' comment is subjective ... I actually like the looks of the 4-door better with the top off- especially with half doors or no doors.

Also (and I didn't double check yet), the approach/departure angles are the same on the 2-dr and the 4-dr. The break over angle is the only thing that's worse.

T

ChasmCrawler 03-03-2012 10:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Comac90 (Post 2097459)
The break over angle is the only thing that's worse.

Yes...break over angle...thanks...that's what I meant.:redface:

JKatfish 03-03-2012 10:30 AM

If you're a sports car person..get the 2 dr. If you're a truck person, get the 4 dr.

Casotakar1229 03-03-2012 10:42 AM

get the 2 door!!! ;)

glowingghoul 03-03-2012 10:45 AM

If you're a minivan person, get the 4-door. :hide:

Rufus T. Firefly 03-03-2012 10:48 AM

The four door's longer wheel base handles better driving in snow. (If we ever get snow again.)

Jeep lunatic 03-03-2012 10:54 AM

Me, I think the four door looks goofy with the top and doors removed. I have a Tj and I can remove my top and doors faster than my friend could remove the top from his four door, so I'd figure the same goes for the two door Jk. Just my two pennies. :)

jsmithtx 03-03-2012 12:51 PM

The four door rides much better on the road. After a certain age you need back doors to get in and out. What about kids and car seats?

OH9JK 03-03-2012 01:03 PM

:whistling: If you want a real Jeep get the 2 door....if you want a station wagon go for the 4 door!

Jeep lunatic 03-03-2012 01:26 PM

I'm waiting for a 4 door Vette, not.

jimmysmith 03-03-2012 01:53 PM

I've owned 5 Jeeps, this is my second 4 door, although I loved my 2 doors Jeeps I would rather have the room to share off roading with my kids, I think even if was going alone I would still pick my 4 door, I really feel the unlimited just does it all. I still think its funny some of you guys calling them station wagons, I don't see it, but I was also the old wagoneer fan too, they are all Jeeps to me and I'll even carry some of your gear if it doesn't fit in your jeep...

Rawhide.72 03-03-2012 02:44 PM

Quote:

Cost less to purchase

Towing capacity

Better ride comfort
Better towing capacity

A little tougher to park
Cost more to purchase

thank you, that was very helpful! looks like I'm still leaning towards the 4 door

Rawhide.72 03-03-2012 02:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JKatfish (Post 2098024)
If you're a sports car person..get the 2 dr. If you're a truck person, get the 4 dr.

i currently drive a Chevy Colorado so that might be why I am interested in the 4 door

Rawhide.72 03-03-2012 02:52 PM

for me when it comes to looks, the 2 dr looks like its missing something, when it comes to the 4 dr i dont feel its missing anything but then again i drive a crew cab truck

Osage Orange 03-03-2012 03:37 PM

Quote:

I'm trying to get back to a more minimalist lifestyle myself, I never tow more than 2000lbs, even when I'm hauling hay for my animals. So the 3/4 ton truck with extend cab and 8ft bed is going away, and being replaced with a cheap 2 door Wrangler modded to my specs. An aluminum trailer will be the new "truck bed". My wife has a four door VW TDI if I need to haul people, so no need for the 4 door here. If you need to haul people, get the 4 door. Otherwise save your money;)

Quote:

Cost less to purchase

:thumb: That's my angle!

courtney123 03-03-2012 05:26 PM

Quote:

Look a couple of years into the future.
If you will have a family, you'll need the 4-door.
If it's just you and one other to haul around, get the 2-door and remove the back seat for cargo space.
The 2-door has a much shorter wheel base so it turns tighter but is a little bit "twitchy" on the freeway.
The 2-door looks like the classic Jeep, the 4-door looks more like a soccer mom/family car.
Bottom line - get what you like. You're the one that'll be making payments on it for a long time :thumb:

jsmithtx 03-03-2012 10:55 PM

Gee I didn't realize my four door JK was like a station wagon. Guess I'd better stop taking it off road. BS.

Another Guy In A Jeep 03-03-2012 10:57 PM

2dr is what they are meant to be.

AMangum 03-04-2012 02:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pdubois64
It really depends on whether or not you need all the cargo space/rear seating.

I had a JKU when it was my primary vehicle. But I now have a Grand Cherokee as well, so it's only me and the dog in the Wrangler, so I have no need for a back seat. I've already taken it out. If I had a need for a back seat, I would have bought another JKU.

A couple of things I've noticed that I like better about the 2 door so far:

-crazy tight turning radius
-great visibility when backing up
-the ride isn't any worse than the 4-dr
-the hard top is easier to remove
-it looks more like a Jeep, and not like a Hummer:eek:

^ x 2

DiSH 03-04-2012 05:21 AM

After owning both, the biggest difference I have noticed is in the turning radius. The 2 door is nice and tight, but you have to beg the 4 door to turn sharply. It almost seems as if the 4 door was designed to not turn sharp because it hits the stop before you feel like it should. Just my opinion though. I have kids, so I need the extra space and 4 doors. I'll have to live with the poor turning radius.

strider_mt2k 03-04-2012 05:28 AM

If my Unlimited is a station wagon then it's easily the coolest damn station wagon EVER!

'wagon me on up! :D :D :D

Wrangler 1 03-04-2012 06:38 AM

Get the 4 doors you'll feel the difference !!

OH9JK 03-04-2012 06:53 AM

:rofl: I love poking fun at the 4 door guys....

strider_mt2k 03-04-2012 06:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OH9JK (Post 2100743)
:rofl: I love poking fun at the 4 door guys....

It's all good in the family! :punk:

biscot 03-04-2012 07:14 AM

What, they make a 4 door Jeep?:D