Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   TJ General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f282/)
-   -   Front or rear lockers (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f282/front-or-rear-lockers-143769.html)

motoxer96 03-03-2012 05:23 AM

Front or rear lockers
 
So i have a 05 LJ unlimited with a dana 44 rear and a 30 front. its a six speed. i am running 33's. but am thinking about jumping to 35's at some point. but for now i am gonna regear it to 4.56's. and my friend has a arb locker that he is going to sell me for a awesome price. $350 and never been used. so i was wondering which axle i should put it in? what axle would give me the best overall performance. i know i should just buy another one and do both but i dont have the money to that right now. front or back locker......what would be the best????

jp2611 03-03-2012 05:32 AM

Understand that this is only OPINION....and I can't really give a short explanation other than to say weight bias front to rear and limited slip in the Dana 44...I would have it put in the front the same time as the regear.

Sounds like a pretty gnarly rig....PICS?

banks316 03-03-2012 05:35 AM

You should put it in the axle that it belongs in. You can't put one designed for a Dana 30 into a 44 or 44 into a 30.

motoxer96 03-03-2012 05:48 AM

i think it was for a dana 44. so i guess it will be going in the back then. have to check though. for the sake of argument. if you guys ever had a choice of buying a front or rear locker and that was it. what would be your choice. front or rear locker?

banks316 03-03-2012 05:52 AM

If I could only buy one? I go rear, better for up hill traction and not as hard on the axle as front locker is

Phobos 03-03-2012 06:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by banks316
You should put it in the axle that it belongs in. You can't put one designed for a Dana 30 into a 44 or 44 into a 30.

^agreed... If I were to buy one for performance only I would (in my mind) get one up front... My thinking, it's easier to pull then push and if I were stuck I have a better chance of grabbing a grip by turning the steering wheel side to side. So if I had a locker in the front that's and even better chance of pulling my self out.

GoldenSahara00 03-03-2012 07:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by banks316
You should put it in the axle that it belongs in. You can't put one designed for a Dana 30 into a 44 or 44 into a 30.

X2 lol. My first through.

I would put a locker in rear first because it nearly always has more weight on it. But say your down in a mud put. Your front end obviously has all the weight of the engine and trans toward it. So. It depends what you do. If you climb a lot to rear. Mud a lot go front.

banks316 03-03-2012 07:48 AM

Front locker helps in deep snow covered roads. Last Rubicon trip I only used front locker one time. Did %90 of the trail unlocked

GoldenSahara00 03-03-2012 08:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by banks316
Front locker helps in deep snow covered roads. Last Rubicon trip I only used front locker one time. Did %90 of the trail unlocked

Yeah front in snow helps a lot because it pulls more instead of pushing.

hardcoretj 03-03-2012 08:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GoldenSahara00

Yeah front in snow helps a lot because it pulls more instead of pushing.

I disagree here ,I have a Lockright in my front axle ,putting in in 4 high on the road is kinda scary .

banks316 03-03-2012 02:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hardcoretj (Post 2097651)
I disagree here ,I have a Lockright in my front axle ,putting in in 4 high on the road is kinda scary .


Thats cause your using a lunch box locker. Lockers are not suppose to be used at high speeds 20mph+. Lunch box lockers are horriable to have in the front end. They are hard on the drivetrain, they decrease turning radius, and you cant turn them off like selectable locker. They also dont slip very well while turning like a auto locker (Detroit Truetrack, LSD). I would advise against using lunch box in the front. I have done it and it only lasted 2 months before i pulled and it tossed it in the scrap pile.

GoldenSahara00 03-03-2012 06:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by banks316

Thats cause your using a lunch box locker. Lockers are not suppose to be used at high speeds 20mph+. Lunch box lockers are horriable to have in the front end. They are hard on the drivetrain, they decrease turning radius, and you cant turn them off like selectable locker. They also dont slip very well while turning like a auto locker (Detroit Truetrack, LSD). I would advise against using lunch box in the front. I have done it and it only lasted 2 months before i pulled and it tossed it in the scrap pile.

And because you have to change driving styles a lot especially in areas that see a lot of rain. There are only a few relatively well mannered lunch boxes I would run in the front wen with that said. Selectable is the way to go on a dd.

Jerry Bransford 03-03-2012 07:41 PM

My strongest possible opinion on whether to mount the first locker front or rear, providing the rear axle is not a Dana 35c, is to always mount that first locker in the rear. In my personal opinion and experience, you get a lot more help from a rear locker than a front locker. I have selectable front and rear lockers and I never turn the front locker on first or run it by itself. My first locker turned on is always my rear locker.

Regarding a lunchbox locker in the front axle... in 2wd, they are all perfectly well mannered. Perfectly well. Lunchbox lockers only cause problems when installed in the rear axle. A front-mounted lunchbox locker is completely benign and well behaved on the street when you're in 2wd. It only locks up hard enough to be noticed when you shift into 4Hi or 4Lo which then locks the locker hard enough to provide steering feedback like understeer.

All lunchbox lockers handle the same when in the front when you're in 2wd... which is to say with no steering or handling issues. The only difference in any of them is all click when you are turning left or right except for one... the Powertrax No-Slip locker is quiet and does not click.

A front-mouned lunchbox locker like an Aussie, No-Slip, Lockright, EZ-Locker, and even the full-case automatic Detroit Locker is a completely benign well-behaved locker. ONLY when you shift into 4x4 do they change how the steering feels.

jrussblues 03-03-2012 08:50 PM

I have an 06 lj, lots of good and varied advice here. I run a lunchbox up front because I don't have to worry about it in 2wd and I have an LSD (as do you...they came factory on lj's non rubi) in the back. Behaves perfectly well in 2wd and pulls like hell in 4wd. The arb will be designed to fit in a specific axle, if you decide to get it make sure it fits one of your axles. Since it is selectable you don't have to worry about the traction issues with a lunchbox locker, you will have to worry about professional installation, air hoses and a pump to run it. Good luck.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:35 AM.