Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   TJ General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f282/)
-   -   Air: ARB v Vair (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f282/air-arb-v-vair-144124.html)

Austerlitz 03-04-2012 05:40 PM

Air: ARB v Vair
 
Looking for air, considering ARB or Vair. The ARB CKMTA is nice, but look at the CKMTP, nice but what a price!

The Vair 400 series I find tempting. Portable power at less price.

Anyone have a Vair 400 series 45 or 43? I origianlly wanted air installed on the jeep, and without a tank. The Vair 400 series just looks too good. What am I missing? Why is the ARB so much? Is the ARB that much better?

KrzyMoke 03-04-2012 05:49 PM

Most guys I know have Viair or a powertank. I would love to get a 450P myself. They list 100% duty cycle but you have to rest them after 40 minutes of continuous use LOL. That is airing up your jeep, the next guy, and the next guy, and 5 other's before you have to stop. My kinda hardware :punk:

Jerry Bransford 03-04-2012 05:53 PM

The ARB flows 2.18 CFM into 29 psi and has a 50% duty cycle.
The Viair 400 flows 1.94 CFM into 30 psi and only has a 33% duty cycle.

Pay no attention to the Viair's over-hyped 2.54 CFM into 0 psi, that is just how much it can pump out into open air which is much higher than it can actually pump into a tire that is offering resistance as its pressure builds. A CFM rating when into 0 psi is useless and is actually highly misleading since air compressors aren't for pumping air into open air that isn't offering resistance.

Important spec-wise, the ARB wins but they are pretty close.

Tjmike003 03-04-2012 05:58 PM

I have a 100% duty cycle viair with the 2.5 gallon air tank mounted under my jeep and I absolutely love it. Very convenient and a good addition to your jeep.

absolutescottie 03-04-2012 06:53 PM

I believe viair has replaceable/serviceable parts too

jgorm 03-04-2012 07:01 PM

I went the 'cheap' way and got 2 MV50s for the jeep. I just bought my 4th one and no issues so far. I had a viair 400c in my truck and it worked fine, but these for fine too and I didn't notice any faster fills with the viair compared to one mv50. Double mv50s will be nearly 2x as fast as a viair 400 and I still saved money. When I first started buying them they were $55 and now they are $79, but still a deal IMO. Its not installed yet (ive had them for more than a year) but I welded up the bracket last night. I had an issue with another car so I have to get that fixed first.

nightop 03-04-2012 07:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tjmike003 (Post 2102505)
I have a 100% duty cycle viair with the 2.5 gallon air tank mounted under my jeep and I absolutely love it. Very convenient and a good addition to your jeep.

Where did you mount the pump and tank specifically? Thanks

Austerlitz 03-04-2012 09:57 PM

The pictures make the ARB look small; like you would never notice it was there. The Vair with tank, looks larger, like you would need to know where to hide it.

Portable sounds better than fixed; but hidden out of sight and not taking up presious room in the rear sounds even better.

Now consider this, I have a 2.5 and no A/C. There is some room under the hood. Where to hide that tank? Where to mount the compressor? Mindful, a quick refil is better than a long wait.

netlohcs 03-05-2012 12:14 AM

Hold on a sec guys... he said the ARB CKMTA, and if that is in fact the one he meant, then you are talking about the wrong one. That is the one that I have, and it does over 6 CFM.

ARB On-Board High Performance 12 Volt Twin Air Compressor (CKMTA12)

It is also 100% duty cycle. Just wanted to make sure we were talking about the right one here....

Austerlitz 03-05-2012 08:13 PM

I was indeed referring to the CKMTA12 (priced at about $500.00) and the CKMTP12 (priced at about $800.00) The first one mounts on the Jeep, the second is portable.

Compared to:

the Vair 400P model 40045 (priced at about $260.00) and the Vair 400P model 40043 (priced at about $200.00).

That small ARB that mounts on the Jeep, under the hood, with no tank really good?

NCflyer 03-05-2012 09:03 PM

:popcorn:--Where did you mount the twin compressor? I'll be putting air on at some point and like this option. Just gotta figure out where to put it on a 2012 4dr. ++Never mind++ just saw your install post


Quote:

Originally Posted by netlohcs (Post 2104177)
Hold on a sec guys... he said the ARB CKMTA, and if that is in fact the one he meant, then you are talking about the wrong one. That is the one that I have, and it does over 6 CFM.

ARB On-Board High Performance 12 Volt Twin Air Compressor (CKMTA12)

It is also 100% duty cycle. Just wanted to make sure we were talking about the right one here....


Austerlitz 03-05-2012 09:28 PM

Netlochs, where did you mount yours? You like it? Do you recommend it?

netlohcs 03-05-2012 09:44 PM

Austerlitz, as far as my original install, check out this post:

http://www.wranglerforum.com/f5/arb-...ed-134883.html


I wanted it there because I did not want it to take up any space inside the vehicle, and was willing to put in the extra work to have it be so.

I did a DIY highline fender lift w/rear tirewell extensions and as such it no longer fit there. It is now installed like this:

http://i1242.photobucket.com/albums/...2/100_4698.jpg


Regarding its performance - I have not gotten to use it to air up tires yet, but I hope to get to do so soon. I am SUPER impressed with ARB as a company though. I called and asked if they sell the air line seperately, and they said "heck i'll just send ya some". 3 days later, 18 feet of line at my door free of charge.

I also mentioned that I was able to fit the CKMTA12 down on the ABS tray and the guy said he was suprised it fit, and asked if I had any pictures. I told him I acutally did a whole write up (the link I posted), and I emailed the link to him.

Totally out of the blue, today I recieved a box from ARB that contained:
-A very nice 3 color ARB stitched hat
-Small and large ARB stickers
-an ARB can coozie
-A ARB keychain that looks like a mini Diff cover (very cool imo)
-an ARB keychain with the Square ARB logo on it
-an ARB pen
All totally free. Didn't even ask for it. I was super pumped :)

Sherpa 03-05-2012 10:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jgorm (Post 2102773)
I went the 'cheap' way and got 2 MV50s for the jeep.

I also have an MV50, and I have been very pleased with the value it offers on performance for the price. I, too, may end up hard mounting mine to the ABS tray.

Border Dave 03-05-2012 11:57 PM

I think one of the best deals right now is the MV-90 for $131. It puts out a lot more air than any Viair compressor. Of course, it doesn't have a 100% duty cycle.

jgorm 03-06-2012 10:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sherpa (Post 2108301)
I also have an MV50, and I have been very pleased with the value it offers on performance for the price. I, too, may end up hard mounting mine to the ABS tray.

I loaned it to a friend and he came back saying how bad ass it was and is buying one. It pumped his 37 from flat on the rim to 42 psi in 5 minutes.

TheTJRod 03-06-2012 02:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jerry Bransford (Post 2102492)
Pay no attention to the Viair's over-hyped 2.54 CFM into 0 psi, that is just how much it can pump out into open air which is much higher than it can actually pump into a tire that is offering resistance as its pressure builds. A CFM rating when into 0 psi is useless and is actually highly misleading since air compressors aren't for pumping air into open air that isn't offering resistance.

Oh how I hate when they only show the rating at 0 psi. There really should be some kind of regulation to show cfm flow at 90psi as most tools run at that pressure.

I'm cheap though. I saw someone using the HF compressor and it filled up 3 guys tires before it stopped. Add a tank and it would be great. Buy another and run a dual system. I mounted mine on the driver side inner fender.
http://i574.photobucket.com/albums/s...129_171646.jpg

TheTJRod 03-06-2012 02:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Austerlitz (Post 2103668)
Now consider this, I have a 2.5 and no A/C. There is some room under the hood. Where to hide that tank? Where to mount the compressor? Mindful, a quick refil is better than a long wait.

No A/C? Did no one catch this yet? Get a york compressor and mount it where the a/c would be. Still have short arms? Mount the tank on the right side of the t-case. You can also plumb quick disconnects next to the front and rear bumpers. When I finish mine I'm going to run full pressure to one for airing up tires and regulated 90psi to the other to run tools.

BillG.OTD 03-06-2012 03:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Austerlitz (Post 2102442)
Looking for air, considering ARB or Vair. The ARB CKMTA is nice, but look at the CKMTP, nice but what a price!

The Vair 400 series I find tempting. Portable power at less price.

Anyone have a Vair 400 series 45 or 43? I origianlly wanted air installed on the jeep, and without a tank. The Vair 400 series just looks too good. What am I missing? Why is the ARB so much? Is the ARB that much better?

Lots of varying opinions and options on air. I cant speak for all the systems, but I have the 400H that came with the hardmount kit. I mounted it on the second battery tray on the driver side. Works fine by me.

VIAIR 400H Hardmount Compressor 40042 - Onboard-air.com

AirWerkz 03-06-2012 07:49 PM

The VIAIR's are good units, and all we sell. Compressor companies will put CFM @ 0 PSI just as a reference point for comparison to others. Keep in mind, VIAIR specs are very accurate and not inflated like some of the other might be. Also consider longevity of the compressor, although more, it will last a lot longer that the MV50. A lot will say the MV50 is still going after 5 years, but I guarantee it has slowed down tremendously from when you first bought it. The parts they use are not as great of quality as the VIAIR.

Just my opinion. You will go through multiple MV50's before replacing your one VIAIR.

THanks BILLG, sounds like that compressor is working well for you.

TheTJRod 03-07-2012 12:44 PM

Hey guys check this one out. 3.0 CFM at 90PSI with 100% duty cycle. That's better than my 5gallon home compressor. Fast enough for intermittent use of some good heavy air tools.

What do you guys this of it?

Edit: Forgot the link
http://www.ironrockoffroad.com/Merch...ategory_Code=A

03Ruth 03-08-2012 05:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheTJRod (Post 2113864)
Hey guys check this one out. 3.0 CFM at 90PSI with 100% duty cycle. That's better than my 5gallon home compressor. Fast enough for intermittent use of some good heavy air tools.

What do you guys this of it?

Edit: Forgot the link
IRON ROCK OFF ROAD: Iron Air Compressor Kit

I knew that looked familiar. It's just a puma compressor with an accessory kit but definitely looks like an awesome setup. Not a bad price either. I wonder if you can separate the motor from the tank. Maybe put the motor under the hood and the tank on the frame? If so this definitely will be on my to do list. I remember a while back someone on here fabbed up some brackets and mounted one of these under their hood. Never did get to see the finished result. Here's a link for comparison...

Air Compressor Superstore: Puma PD 1006 1 HP (peak) 12 Volt Air Compressor


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:06 PM.