Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   TJ General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f282/)
-   -   front axle upgrade questions (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f282/front-axle-upgrade-questions-144479.html)

ebp123 03-05-2012 11:06 PM

front axle upgrade questions
 
What do people on this forum think of the high pinion dana 30 with the nitro chromo shafts as seen here Dana 30 High Pinion Complete Axle Assembly

Is this a better option than the dana 44?

Thanks

Border Dave 03-05-2012 11:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ebp123 (Post 2108379)
Is this a better option than the dana 44?

Most people would say yes. With the HP Dana 30 you get a lighter axle with better ground clearance/driveshaft clearance. It has the same u-joints, steering knuckles, ball joints, hubs, and brakes as the Dana 44.

Badass_TJ 03-06-2012 11:19 AM

I run a hp dana 30 with yukon 30 spline chromoly shafts with a ox locker and 35's with no problems (so far)....:thumb:

TheTJRod 03-06-2012 02:13 PM

I would say maybe, that depends on what d44 your talking about. The TJ d44 then yes, an actual d44 then no, especially if it's also a HP. If your talking about an upgraded d30 to a actual stock d44 then yes. If the d44 is upgraded then no.

Though for a DD with up to 35's the d30 would be a better choice than a d44. It's strong enough, cheaper and easier.

Gate53 03-06-2012 02:20 PM

I'm still trying to find a way to break my stock D30 and I treat it like crap. So till I break it I'm not gonna fix it.

nastyrider17 03-06-2012 05:15 PM

IMO the tj d44 is better than the HP30. I just seen too many break in too many different ways. With a super polished d30 it's a good chance you'll shear the r&p before other components due to it's small size. Plus with the tj d44 you can truss, gusset, throw in rcvs, high strength carrier, cover girdle, and the Jana k4.

Border Dave 03-06-2012 11:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nastyrider17 (Post 2110884)
IMO the tj d44 is better than the HP30. I just seen too many break in too many different ways. With a super polished d30 it's a good chance you'll shear the r&p before other components due to it's small size. Plus with the tj d44 you can truss, gusset, throw in rcvs, high strength carrier, cover girdle, and the Jana k4.

And you still have the same steering knuckles, ball joints, hubs, and brakes as the Dana 30. Maybe you could spend another $2000 to upgrade those too, huh?

nastyrider17 03-07-2012 09:19 AM

Yea why not. It's only money.....

RubiCobra 03-07-2012 09:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gate53 (Post 2110379)
I'm still trying to find a way to break my stock D30 and I treat it like crap. So till I break it I'm not gonna fix it.


My previous Jeep had a dana 30 with the superior super 30 upgrade. I was running 37's and an ARB. I did not baby it at all and that thing just would not break.

That being said I've seen 44's and 60's break on the trail where you wouldn't expect it.

Personally, I wouldn't worry too much about a swap until you break something. Stock spline cro mo shafts are good insurance, as you can keep your stockers to get you off the trail.

IndyJeepMan 03-07-2012 09:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nastyrider17
IMO the tj d44 is better than the HP30. I just seen too many break in too many different ways. With a super polished d30 it's a good chance you'll shear the r&p before other components due to it's small size. Plus with the tj d44 you can truss, gusset, throw in rcvs, high strength carrier, cover girdle, and the Jana k4.

You can do all of that to a HP.

Only difference is tube diameter shafts size and ring and pinion size, and IMO a front axle doesnt see near the beating a rear axle does. Thats why my HP is keeping its stock shafts.

geiman 03-07-2012 09:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Border Dave (Post 2108539)
Most people would say yes. With the HP Dana 30 you get a lighter axle with better ground clearance/driveshaft clearance. It has the same u-joints, steering knuckles, ball joints, hubs, and brakes as the Dana 44.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Border Dave (Post 2112482)
And you still have the same steering knuckles, ball joints, hubs, and brakes as the Dana 30. Maybe you could spend another $2000 to upgrade those too, huh?

Quote:

Originally Posted by IndyJeepMan (Post 2113283)
You can do all of that to a HP.

Only difference is tube diameter shafts size and ring and pinion size, and IMO a front axle doesnt see near the beating a rear axle does. Thats why my HP is keeping its stock shafts.

Pretty much my thoughts as well. The only benefit I really see to having a TJ D44 over the HP D30 is in regards to gearing. If you need to gear lower than 4.88 you're out of luck with the D30. Other than that, the D30 wins every time in my book.

nastyrider17 03-07-2012 09:45 AM

You can also mod the fawk out of a prius.

D30 will work with conservative driving. Just treat it with care and respect and it will do the same to you. In all honestly, I have never seen a more persnickety axle than the hp30 and that is why I don't run one.

Cons_Table 03-07-2012 09:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nastyrider17 (Post 2110884)
IMO the tj d44 is better than the HP30. I just seen too many break in too many different ways. With a super polished d30 it's a good chance you'll shear the r&p before other components due to it's small size. Plus with the tj d44 you can truss, gusset, throw in rcvs, high strength carrier, cover girdle, and the Jana k4.

Comparing stock 44, to stock HP30...your weak point is gonna be at your U-joints, both of which are the same on both axles.

nastyrider17 03-07-2012 09:50 AM

Read the whole sentence, not just part of it. And yes, the info you stated is true but is not what I was saying.

Quote:

With a super polished d30 it's a good chance you'll shear the r&p before other components due to it's small size

Black Magic Brakes 03-07-2012 09:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nastyrider17 (Post 2113300)
You can also mod the fawk out of a prius.

D30 will work with conservative driving. Just treat it with care and respect and it will do the same to you. In all honestly, I have never seen a more persnickety axle than the hp30 and that is why I don't run one.

The 30 isn't persnickety, but a lot of gear setters don't know a few things to make them live longer. Not the axle's fault.

Cons_Table 03-07-2012 09:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nastyrider17 (Post 2113313)
Read the whole sentence, not just part of it. And yes, the info you stated is true but is not what I was saying.

Sorry lol...still a little early here. Still wakin up :doh:

nastyrider17 03-07-2012 09:56 AM

You are correct in a way. Obviously if it wasn't set up right it wont last long. I've just seen too many of them break and require hours of work to get them going down the trail again, and I don't like dealing with that BS. Like I have said before, the HPD30 is a good axle if properly set up, and not beat too hard.

Imped 03-07-2012 10:23 AM

I hate dealing with BS as much as the next guy. Breakage on the trails pisses me off--a properly setup gear set to accommodate for housing flex will be a non-issue on 35's. So far, mine has been nothing but 100% reliable. Two summers ago, I was TRYING to blow it up. Broke an axle shaft u-joint and wore out another one. Good shafts and u-joints = not a problem anymore. Beef up the C's if you want, stiffen the housing if you want. I haven't done either and it's been great.....and it's been beat on hard.

Border Dave 03-07-2012 10:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by geiman (Post 2113295)
Pretty much my thoughts as well. The only benefit I really see to having a TJ D44 over the HP D30 is in regards to gearing. If you need to gear lower than 4.88 you're out of luck with the D30. Other than that, the D30 wins every time in my book.

The TJ Dana 44 isn't strong enough to reliably run tires that require 5.13s or lower gears anyway.

geiman 03-07-2012 11:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Border Dave (Post 2113544)
The TJ Dana 44 isn't strong enough to reliably run tires that require 5.13s or lower gears anyway.

On my DD I'm only looking at 35s, the only reason it needs 5.13 is because of the 42RLE. I don't have any issue running 35s on the D44.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:15 PM.