Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   JK General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/)
-   -   Wheel question (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/wheel-question-144589.html)

nickmimi 03-06-2012 04:21 PM

Wheel question

Is it possible to use the stock rubicon wheels with 35 inch tires?

Thanks

Casotakar1229 03-06-2012 04:29 PM

I believe they will. just depends if the 35 inch tire has the right dimensions to fit on the wheel. someone will probably chime in with better/more correct information though.

JkJared 03-06-2012 04:30 PM

Yeah you can just need a lift cause the backspacing is alot on the stocks.

kbwwolf 03-06-2012 04:31 PM

And then your tires, mounted on stock rims that have backspacing of 6.25", will almost certainly rub the new swaybar links on your lift.

At the least.

tabber02 03-06-2012 05:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kbwwolf (Post 2110600)
And then your tires, mounted on stock rims that have backspacing of 6.25", will almost certainly rub the new swaybar links on your lift.

At the least.

^^ yep, i ran stock wheels on a 4" short arm lift and i had to put spacers on the back axle... the stock wheels rubbed the rear adjustable control arms...

if you're looking to run 35" tires you're going to need some spacing or new wheels with less backspacing to ensure you don't rub something.

my 0.02 :whistling:

-bob

kbwwolf 03-06-2012 05:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nickmimi (Post 2110554)
Is it possible to use the stock rubicon wheels with 35 inch tires?

Thanks

You'll also need, at the very least, a new rear bumper w/tire carrier so the heavier spare doesn't trash your tailgate. And since you're in an '11, you'll wanna regear so your Jeep has more power than a Tonka Toy.

nickmimi 03-07-2012 01:15 PM

Thanks for the replies. Was planning on a lift, new gears and the or-fab tire carrier. Initially I was going to change to black rims but the stock ones are growing on me. Sounds like I will be going with new ones.

4fit 03-07-2012 01:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nickmimi (Post 2113774)
Thanks for the replies. Was planning on a lift, new gears and the or-fab tire carrier. Initially I was going to change to black rims but the stock ones are growing on me. Sounds like I will be going with new ones.

You can toss wheel spacers on and keep the stockers. But once you factor in the cost of the spacers and the cost of the tires for the 17" wheels, it makes much more sense to drop down to a 15" or 16" wheel and corresponding tire.

LBrito 03-07-2012 01:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nickmimi (Post 2113774)

I hear you, I am quite fond of the stock rubi rims as well. Kept them for now, and am working on plastidipping them soon, or maybe bed liner, which will make me even more fond of them.

I had to use spacers though, and that's a compromise you may have to make. Some people hate em, some people run them for years without a problem. I don't crawl, so I'm not too concerned with it, but if you plan to, I wouldn't recommend spacers. Definitely read up on the pros and cons before making a decision on them.

I fit a 35 x 12.5 on the stock wheel without an issue.